• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Questing based server

Nemphis

Veteran OT User
Reaction score
Tibia is very farm based. Oh, yes. we call it Hunting. Thats what we do to level up. We have quests, sure. But they are very long and sometimes advanced and you Always have to look it up on wikia.

I havent seen anyone try to make a quest-based lvling system. Like, decrease exp to 0.5x of normal and do plenty of quests, perhaps with a story, that makes you level up.

Like there could be 20 quests in Ghostlands from 3 different npcs.
Kazordoon mines could be 10-15 quests. Inside Kazordoon could be PLENTY.
internal City quests that you could do in the early stages and late stages.

We have so much options for this and no1 does it.

If we try to do quests for every zone in the Rl server that people should do to level up it could bring a new experience to the game..

Yes, No?

I took this route for my personal project.

Its very time consuming (storage madness) but I think its a very good approach to avoid too much grinding while you force players to explore the world. One of the issues with Tibia is that a lot of people play to be high level and PvP but to achieve that you have to go through all the boring grinding brainless PvE for thousands of hours.

The way I'm doing it is by guiding the player around the map progressively teaching the game mechanics and risks. After leaving the starting island I force the players to chose between 3 towns (theres 10 in total). They'll continue their quests in their town and eventually they'll reach a common path guiding them to new places, towns and continents. They are not generic quests for killing X monsters (sometimes it is) but usually its a matter of finding items, npcs or other tasks that doesn't involve farming monsters. I have no secondary/repeteable quests other than those to unlock some aspects of the game (outfits/mounts..). Its just a

Its like an MMO (WoW/FF14...) that you go through different zones aimed for different character levels and eventually unlocking the whole world.

If players don't want this leveling method, they can just go hunt and move around freely like in RL Tibia.

You make it sound very good!

There could leveling quests.
Vocation quests every 15 level or so.
Side quests thats make sence only for that npc.
Fun and retarded quests.
Killing quest.
collecting items quests
Main story line quest that is a must for all players, even if you huntfarming or questing.

You name it. There is so much possibilities here.

The yellow exclamation mark.
I stay away from those games/servers.
I stay away from servers with tasks.

It's forced upon the player to get ahead in the game.

An RPG, in my opinion, is based on exploring and dying (with a small penalty of some sort).
It's about solving puzzles using interesting mechanics.
Forcing players to group up in some way to socialize more during hunting/solving puzzles.
Many ways to get rare loot/treasure (ie fishing, shoveling sand, and of course killing bosses)

Randomizing a certain part of the mechanics of the server. This way, every 24 hours, something unexpected will happen:
- A random Race of monsters (ie orcs) will drop more unexpected loot but are more powerful (more HP, and/or more attack, etc..)
- Dragons will be weaker in dealing fire-damage but more powerful in melee
- All minotaurs migrated and no mino is left in site (to hunt)
... (all could be permanent or temporary)

This randomization will destroy wiki of course, but not sure if I am the only one is bored of always checking wiki.

Gone a bit off-topic here, sorry.

I hear you @XeekXeek
What you are saying makes sense in a lot of ways. You could combine regular hunting with quests. I don't mean never-ending tasks but you help some npcs with w/e they need help with. As a reward it could be exp for 50% of your level. Do it whenever you want. But I think it makes a server feel more alive when players do something else than exploring and searching for quests boxes they can open.
Also these only reward experience and some gold so they are not mandatory to get further in your travels. But there could be options for both types of players. One hunts and one do quests

True. So long as both players are happy if they chose different play styles.

i'd enjoy a server that those quests mainly rewards me with usable/charges items that gives me strategic advantages towards strong enemies and situations.
some of those quests should be able to be redone as well.

Would be neat to have it like WoW. Like you can grind if you want, but its faster to quest. Aldoh, the problem with questing in Tibia is that its slow and painful to accept/read quest texts. Should be fast and easy as in WoW where you can have a GUI and just click accept. I good on-screen quest tracker would be nice too, including markers and such on the minimap. This is just my opinion tho. :)

Would be neat to have it like WoW. Like you can grind if you want, but its faster to quest. Aldoh, the problem with questing in Tibia is that its slow and painful to accept/read quest texts. Should be fast and easy as in WoW where you can have a GUI and just click accept. I good on-screen quest tracker would be nice too, including markers and such on the minimap. This is just my opinion tho. :)
Because the quests are overly simple in many mmo's such as go kill x monster, loot x item and bring back et cetera, players don't need to read the text and simply skip through it so they can get right into grinding mobs.
While this is all fine and good, there's a large portion of missed text by the vast majority of players. The developers might as well just delete the storyline and just show the quest markers, since the players don't give any shit about the lore at that point, since the lore isn't useful to them.

In order to have an rpg/questing server of any kind, the players need to have a vested interest in learning more about the world and story.
Players are lazy. They will simply ignore all text not associated with their combat abilities unless the developer makes the player understand that text and lore is just as important as their combat abilities.
It falls on the developer to ensure that there is a balance of content for the player to explore, and it also falls on the developer to ensure that the players understand the importance of the content provided to them.

That being said, it's a hard balance to provide in an online mmo without creating some sort of linear storyline.
The players need to be gently guided and shown where to go to improve and progress their character, without being forced to do something.
The moment you force a player to do something, you are taking away the enjoyment of exploration, as it's simply a guided tour at that point.

@topic
I enjoy exploring/questing more then I enjoy the combat in most cases.
Improving your character is fun, but the journey towards improving your character is the main bulk of that enjoyment.

At least, imo. :p

Because the quests are overly simple in many mmo's such as go kill x monster, loot x item and bring back et cetera, players don't need to read the text and simply skip through it so they can get right into grinding mobs.
While this is all fine and good, there's a large portion of missed text by the vast majority of players. The developers might as well just delete the storyline and just show the quest markers, since the players don't give any shit about the lore at that point, since the lore isn't useful to them.

In order to have an rpg/questing server of any kind, the players need to have a vested interest in learning more about the world and story.
Players are lazy. They will simply ignore all text not associated with their combat abilities unless the developer makes the player understand that text and lore is just as important as their combat abilities.
It falls on the developer to ensure that there is a balance of content for the player to explore, and it also falls on the developer to ensure that the players understand the importance of the content provided to them.

That being said, it's a hard balance to provide in an online mmo without creating some sort of linear storyline.
The players need to be gently guided and shown where to go to improve and progress their character, without being forced to do something.
The moment you force a player to do something, you are taking away the enjoyment of exploration, as it's simply a guided tour at that point.

@topic
Improving your character is fun, but the journey towards improving your character is the main bulk of that enjoyment.

I completely agree with you. :)

@topic

Such a great explanation of why Tibia was fun for me, I didn't care for hunting and leveling until PvP was my thing, for the first couple years I played Tibia all I cared about was exploring and learning the story. I died to lured GS so many times trying to explore the mainland as a noob, but once that freshness wore off, there really wasn't much left to do other than PvP as a high level character. By 7.5 there was newer content, and by the time they had 7.6-7.9 era long quests, I didn't give a shit. I never read any of the lore anymore. Tibia as a story driven game died to me. I come back now and have been reading the lore and all the info that's been compiled over the years, and there is a lot of really cool content.

If someone made a questing based server now though, I really don't know how well it would fair. You're asking players to care about content and lore, you'd have to do a really good job drawing them in and keeping the content fresh enough to maintain interest. You'll have players do all the quests they feel like until they get bored and quit. It can't just be questing, there always needs to be more. It's hard producing that as an OT, balancing all the factors that allow you to be a successful server is more luck than skill.

What if..

Server World Changes, every day there is a break for 20 minutes, a restart.
100% chance to have 2 Changes every day from a pool of 10 neat quests-chains. Requires a server restart to activate.

You level up as normal, hunting, grinding and exping to gain levels.

Optional:
But today you know that the old abandonded castle to the North(which is Always empty, no monsters) has regained Citizens from an evil cult that needs a Quick Death so they dont gain more strenght to summon the demons from below.
You head up to the small camp a few clicks from the castle to start your quests. Could be a quest-chain of 5 quests, 10 quests, maybe even 15 quests depending on who the story-writer is.
The reward would be either items appropiate for that level of difficulty, gold and experience.

The quests could take 1 hour to complete.
One hour of hunting for your level could be, lets say a low level player. Could do 50k exp every hour.
The quest experience reward would be a total of 60k exp + all the monsters you have to kill. Plus gold and a neat reward for that difficulty quest.

Thoughts?

I actually had a server that was more questbased than grinding.
I had like 3-4 hours of quests done, basicly finished an entire act before I got bored and threw it away.

From my and my friends experience, it was really fun playing like that, combine the server with an attribute system where you basicly choose what you want to increase when you level up, and a random item bonus system to items, so that you can find epic items and loot them ofc and even more stuff. And add a teleportsystem, so people don't have to run 274289754 km everytime they go for a new quest or so.

I even had custom music for areas in the server, it was a nice atmosfear

I actually even had a system where you built your own furniture, even a lvl up system for that.
You cut down trees, cut stones and ores etc to get your supplies.

As long as you can make the server tempting for people, and keep it fresh. This will work :)

The yellow exclamation mark.
I stay away from those games/servers.
I stay away from servers with tasks.

It's forced upon the player to get ahead in the game.

An RPG, in my opinion, is based on exploring and dying (with a small penalty of some sort).
It's about solving puzzles using interesting mechanics.
Forcing players to group up in some way to socialize more during hunting/solving puzzles.
Many ways to get rare loot/treasure (ie fishing, shoveling sand, and of course killing bosses)

Randomizing a certain part of the mechanics of the server. This way, every 24 hours, something unexpected will happen:
- A random Race of monsters (ie orcs) will drop more unexpected loot but are more powerful (more HP, and/or more attack, etc..)
- Dragons will be weaker in dealing fire-damage but more powerful in melee
- All minotaurs migrated and no mino is left in site (to hunt)
... (all could be permanent or temporary)

This randomization will destroy wiki of course, but not sure if I am the only one is bored of always checking wiki.

Gone a bit off-topic here, sorry.

Not trying to promote a game here or go against the rules (sorry).
Quoting myself here to show you a game of what I was talking about when I say 'random' without quests.
I never beat this game yet, and it's still something I think is very good to give you an idea of how Tibia should be with 'randomness' or something similar.
I am still trying to beat it, but I can't figure out an easier way.
For you that are impatient, this game is not for you, trust me.

Not trying to promote a game here or go against the rules (sorry).
Quoting myself here to show you a game of what I was talking about when I say 'random' without quests.
I never beat this game yet, and it's still something I think is very good to give you an idea of how Tibia should be with 'randomness' or something similar.
I am still trying to beat it, but I can't figure out an easier way.
For you that are impatient, this game is not for you, trust me.

What a great game, playing right now. Roguelikes are something special.

Edit: My lvl 4 knight just died.

Hmmm those maps are generated randomly. Im thinking how that would been in tibia.

Last edited:
i checked that game too
i think it wouldnt be too hard to make some random generated map like that

its just identical rooms that are connected (shouldnt be too hard to create just in lua)
u could easily put random items in different room
for example 1 room could contain some boss
1 room contain some treasure

but in such a case, i think it would be most easy to just have the rooms mapped already then use LUA to add random items/monsters whenever a players enters that dungeon with all the rooms

and when he dies/completes it maybe the rooms should be reset

What about:
Holes that take you to a random cave? or secret teleports that spawn randomly somewhere in the map.
-Holes that spawn randomly in the map.
-Locked doors, you need to find the correct keys to open them.
-Doors that can only be open if: your character has X stats,vocation,gear.
-Teleports that spawn after a creature dies.

-A king system:
Theres a castle that can be conquered, once theres a king he can allow/lock game content, add taxes to NPC.

The king can: block ropes,fishing,mining,depot access (pretty op), increase monster damage,add critical hit to monsters, remove all the fishes in the game.

He can also collect taxes from towns, so once in a while he has to come out of the castle and go town by town collecting taxes from npcs, this would be a great chance to kill him if he have been oppressing the plebs

Also....
-Premium players that can create quests so they add content to the game.
-Weekly dungeons: dungeons that are only open once a week.
-Every monster has a chance to spawn as Elite creatures (Stronger than normal ones also better loot).

And some special items with charges so the game is not only about spamming SD's.

I think a game needs lot of sandbox stuff not only randomly generated maps. Example: Lets say players are fishing a lot, then a Kraken raid starts in the seas.
They spawn near bridges, if the raid doesnt gets cleared fast enough the krakens starts to attack and destroy the bridges. Also if the king pleases he can block ( temporarily) the fishing ropes and prevent this from happening BUT there will be less food for players, so riots or even attacks to the king castle might happen.

I added most of the stuff above to my mmorpg called Ultbia

Last edited:
I think a game needs lot of sandbox stuff not only randomly generated maps.
.... and items/chests.

In that kong game, you're not only bound to pickup your own vocation's items, you can pick other vocation's gear as well, which would spice things up to how your character gets stronger. I just died as level 10 but a mix of 5 vocations (ie using gear, spell books of other vocations, and stats).
It gets more crazier the more you get higher in levels.

And I hope this won't make some people too OP. But in the PVP world, you have a chance to lose it all which would shift pvp-power to another person.

@Flatlander , I remember you saying (if my memory serves correctly) that your aim for Multi-verse is:
- no matter if you join late in the game, you still have a chance to catch up quickly and the balance is still good if a Lv5 went up against a lv20 (something like that?)

Back