• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Quick Showoff] Post your latest maps!

Entrance to Dwarven city.
will be edited a bit more, but wanted to share something ;)
kfAcE6w.png
you should try with a brown floor inside the entrance, its looks weird with grey inside

Other than the ridge (which is the entrance level) the rest could've been done with modified border.xml in autoborder, we used modified xml alot for doodads and bordering. I even wasted some time today mapping a tut-piece since I was so disappointed C'x

View attachment 41047

Showoff old shit, aswell of showing @Andréew <3 Mix floorusage even outdoors, and mixgrass to different layers to the ground.
Its not a done piece but something I did as rugged nature.
View attachment 41048

Something we used in Illyrium, and probably other teams aswell, but Macedoon put ALOT of efforts making all of our styles and RAW decisions into doodads so even the most opåen shittiest nomanland would become interesting and not the default Doodad spam and sample-otbm files for copy n paste doodads.

Lovely descriptions and good for everyone. Even though I do not agree with using the old mountain borders on grass, I'd only use them on mountain ground for a slight but amazing texture effect.
I always adjust my doodads.xml and borders.xml how I want it to behave and think it's underestimated quite a lot. It speeds up the progress on big maps very efficiently and saves time that you can uses for considering other, more important things while mapping.
Thanks for sharing to anyone else who might not have tried it before. It's worth doing it for sure! :)

This is what they meant by modified xml, a more modern palette by RokojoM. It has additional doodads and such. You also can edit these rather easily by following this tutorial I made a few years back.

I got a question the other day from @nugo if there was anything i would like to add or change with RME since he is looking for someone to do some upgrades for it and one thing i stated was that editing XML files in the mapeditor would be such an awesome addition.

Dont y'all think? making it less time consuming and userfriendly.. making brushes on the fly.

Looks dope from the ambient. I would personally delete the green (I assume) borders on the pathway, also the grasstufts from dirt and the "metal" stone thingy from south west next to the mountain.

Great mapping over all :)
Keep it up!

Every showoff needs atleast one image with transparent water.

I don't know correct english words to name that. This library is ripped? rift? rifted? splitted? by a magic. Below you can see abandoned, flooded library.

1577084925586.png

1577085218845.png

Looks more like a blue overlay at 50% opacity than transparent water imo

I don't think the issue is with the water sprite, I know too less about spriting to judge it. From a mapping perspective the transparent water looks ok to me.

I like the feeling that is being created by seeing underneat the water surface and the idea with a sunken library / city is also nice.

Anyways it's hard to rate the map itself. If I look into the details it does not make a lot of sense and it might not be executed perfectly but I am the last one discussing about sense in a computer game with magic and monsters. Anything is possible and I personally don't like these kind of discussions if it still looks good.

a thread that lets us discuss different things about mapping like maps, techniques and simply my or yours thought process is important i think.
and maps gets discussed because people think different, it leads to a conversation and these conversations can be very progressive for all parts.
You learn a lot when you see things from a different perspective.

But i must say i agree with both of you. Activity is very important and to have that we need to be able to talk about stuff, not everyone is mapping all day, but still wants to like be active in the community.
still this is a showoff and yeah maybe majority should be pictures but if that reduce the activity i dont mind people just talking on the forum.
maybe a "Mappers discussion" thread should be made? but at the same time why not just have both thread mashed together into one?
kind of like this one.
if people that actually maps regularly wants to showoff, they will most likely start a thread of their own.
its also nice to have a thread where you can post or ask people that posted something what was going through their mind ask for tips, give tips, give your thoughts and so on, which this thread is great for.
your own thread is more of a gallery, portfolio what ever you wanna call it.
posting here, might bring other peoples attention towards your own thread? and so on. lots of pros before cons of having a thread like this where you can give/recieve feedback and speak your mind.
if thats like what i said earlier "Mappers discussion" thread or this showoff thread is up to moderators to decide so maybe @GhostX can consider this.

Anyway to not just discuss i decided to share a little something for people to see and get inspired from, had a similar one in my inspiration folder and i believe Neon made something like this a very long time ago, talking 5-6+ years haven't seen it since if i recall, got a bit inspired by my own dwarven entrence thingy i posted a while back aswell.

sqZTOwc.png

(this will be posted with light effects in my own thread aswell soon, self promotion at its finest.)

Edit: btw @andu that was a sick library dude, you always had a different mind doing wierd shit that is actually pretty cool haha!
i think it could be a bit improved like with the newer bookshelf walls and stuff, but its still super dope man good job! :D

Last edited:
Back