• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows Reducing Server Lag - Step by Step

olavo

Reaction score
Compatible with Windows Based Operating Systems only.

This Tutorial is intended for server owners who's players constantly complain about lag. This Tutorial will not fix lag due to internet issues. This Tutorial concerns only the Server and the Computer. Internet connection has no influence of the outcome of this procedure.

I'm a Server owner myself. I created Coronia Rpg 7.9 and encountered poor performance at the start. I ran the server on the same computer that I used for everyday use. Browsing the Internet, using Tibia Client, Msn Messenger, running a web server on the same computer used to host an OT Server can cause poor performance of the server. Below are the steps to fix the lag issues if you are in the same situation that I once was in.

Step One:

Open/Run the server executable.

Ex. "Evolutions-SQL.exe"

Step Two:

After everything is loaded and server is running one must access the task manager. You can access the task manager by pressing the key combination "Ctrl + Alt + Delete". This will open a window titled "Windows Task Manager"

Step Three:

Click the "Processes" tab.

After clicking the "Processes" tab many processes will show up. Look through all of these and located the process named "Evolution-SQL.exe" If you have set a custom name for the exe then locate that name.

Many Processes are vital to normal system functionality. Changing settings for anything else other than stated is strictly at your own risk

Step Four:

Right-click the process "Evolutions-SQL.exe" This will bring up a box. Move the mouse over "Set Priority" This will open another box. If the computer is capable of allocating all resources to the server then click "Realtime". If the computer is incapable of using "Realtime" Then select the Priority that will best fit the computer's capability.

Step Five:

Hope that this procedure works for you. If the computer is too "weak" then this will not make much difference. It could also cause the computer to freeze if computer is not powerful enough to Run OT Server.

My Personal Recommendation:

The best action to take to reduce or eliminate lag on OT server would be to run the OT Server on a separate computer. Running OT Server on a normal family used computer is usually a bad idea unless the computer is top of the line. I run Coronia on a computer I built. The computer is used only to run the Web Server and Coronia Server. Because the computer is not used for anything other this. I am able to reach 150+ Hours of uptime with only 256MB of RAM and a 2.4Ghz Celeron Processor. 150 Hours for this computer is impressive to say the least. If I were to use the computer for daily use then I would be lucky to get 50 Hours of uptime without lags/freezes.

I hope this tutorial will solve all or most lag issues. If this tutorial does not help with lag issues, I suggest investing into a new computer.

ah this may help me. might have to rebuild my old pc and upgrade it. should be worth it in the end.

warning dont give ots realtime priority because it will often freeze your computer:p

realtime will also fry ur cpu fast lol

above normal/high is the most id ever consider

i know this ;b it's old :) but i have a program called "real time restart"

many ppl knew it already, i did too ... but since this forum is getting bigger everyday why not posting it here??

let's make otland more complete then we won't need to look anywhere else

Hehe nice tut you learned me things i dident even know that coult matter

Only works if you have a top end computer, it will freeze the computer otherwise

Cheers mate! This was an great tutorial in my opinion, for those who did'nt know about this before.

lol.. evolution-sql.exe? xDD
I think you should use the forgotten server as exampla ;p
Good work btw

Just a question are we able to give the server Less cpu usage and it stays without lagg or??

Back