• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Remere/Asprate - Cipsoft.

1. US hosted servers can be brought down.
2. Servers using ANY real tibia stuff can be brought down.
3. All users using a IP changer can be sued.
4. Modififying a client is illigal (yes, vapus.net/customclient is illigal).

Ive said this 12423 times..

Cipsoft can and will shutdown Open Tibia servers

They already started to get desperate because of the fact that OT servers became their competition with more than 40k players playing different OT servers!

Cipsoft's amount of players these last couple of years went from 60k to a max of 35k.. usually arround 15 - 28k players online daily

There's thousands of euros made from OT servers and lost for cipsoft

Open Tibia is not what it used to be.. It's growing.. fast and it won't stop growing.. Cipsoft will eventually run out of players *exaggeration*

That's just my opinion based on true shit.. It will happen

2012 FTW!

I hope they attempt. But they will never success.

And if they do, they can still not shut us down.

Have you ever heard about the YATC? (Yet Another Tibia Client), it is an 100% ownmade tibia client. It is legal.

That is our alternative option if CipSoft actually manages to get us in problems with the regular client.
Then we got server based and client based solutions that is developed for Open Tibia.

Khaos@OTFans said:
I'd like to point out that the community has concluded for many times that OpenTibia does not violate Cipsoft's copyright since it does not include code developed by them. Clients neither do that -- they generally do not include the sprite nor data files, and user has to copy them manually. There are some efforts in progress to remove that limitation.

Thomac@OTFans said:
Strictly speaking, everything under the umbrella of the OT project is legal. OpenTibia is legal, YATC is legal, everything is, as long as you don't touch CipSoft's stuff.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to stay safe, adhere to the following;

• DO NOT run a "Donation" server. Calling it "donations" will not make it the least bit fine, what you are doing is SELLING stuff. "Donations" will NOT hold up in court.
  • DO NOT run a "real map" server, it might not be a perfect copy of CipSoft's map because of your edits, or because it's in a different format, but that will NOT hold up in court either. What is SEEN through the Tibia client is largely the same, and that's what matters.

Nobody cares if the pirated video you have is in x264 or Xvid, or if that song is FLAC or MP3, it's the end result that matters.
  • DO NOT under any circumstances use CipSoft's graphics on your website, it's a huge friggin no-no and will give them a perfect reason for suing you into the ground, especially if you run a "donation" server.
  • DO NOT provide a client for download, except if it's YATC or the likes, and even then do not provide CipSoft's tibia.dat and tibia.spr. Providing a Tibia client, especially a modified one, is a huge no-no.
As long as you follow those simple rules, you "should" be fine, or at least better off than those that aren't. Remere's server was a "donation" server that broke all these rules IIRC, and look what happened.

Edit: I'm in no way claiming that Remere's server was taken down due to any of the above, but since he did mention "legal" reasons I wouldn't say it's too unlikely. Also Remere, if you're reading this I really need to talk to you, hop on MSN or whatever.

Remere@OTFans said:
I have hosting paid for another three months. Lack of funds is not why I shut down the server.

Last edited:
Little bit of a bump, but it's really not all that difficult to avoid anything legal-wise from Cipsoft if you're smart / put a little effort into it, so I don't see OTs being taken down completely anytime soon. Sure, the kids who host from their home lines / computers in the US and whatnot wouldn't be too difficult to shut down, but if you cared enough you could avoid them, even with a real map, donations, etc...

YATC require real tibia spirits if I recall, means it's not legal.

It's both legal and illegal.
Legal - using own made sprites and not the sprites made by Cipsoft.
Illegal - using cipsoft's sprites.

Btw, cipsoft you suck! :)

YATC is legal.

When you download it, you do NOT download Original tibia spr files. But you are recommended to use it incase you don't got custom sprites. (at your own risk).

YATC is still illigal in the US, Digital Millenium Copyright Act prevent you from even using the same protocol.

SO:
actually only open tibia PLAYERS use tibia's client... not the developers :E

YATC is still illigal in the US, Digital Millenium Copyright Act prevent you from even using the same protocol.

It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself.
* (1) "circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work" except as allowed after rulemaking procedures administered by the Register of Copyrights every three years. (The exemptions made through the three-yearly review do not apply to the supply of circumvention devices, only to the act of circumvention itself.)
* (2) "manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in" a device, service or component which is primarily intended to circumvent "a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work," and which either has limited commercially significant other uses or is marketed for the anti-circumvention purpose.
* (3) "manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in" a device, service or component which is primarily intended to circumvent "protection afforded by a technological measure that effectively protects a right of a copyright owner," and which either has limited commercially significant other uses or is marketed for the anti-circumvention purpose.
* sell any VHS VCR, 8 mm analogue video tape recorder, Beta video recorder or other analogue video cassette recorder which isn't affected by automatic gain control copy protection (the basis of Macrovision), with some exceptions.
Unless the article in question was written very poorly, YATC is entirely legal. Unmodified, it is even legal to connect to CipSoft's servers, since it makes no attempt to bypass any protective features CipSoft has put into place.

This act would make botting illegal, though.

1. US hosted servers can be brought down.
2. Servers using ANY real tibia stuff can be brought down.
3. All users using a IP changer can be sued.
4. Modififying a client is illigal (yes, vapus.net/customclient is illigal).
I would never have thought you'd start spouting idiocy. Btw, it is illegal, not illigal. This spelling mistake made several times over is quite annoying.
#1 is not true, unless you are also doing #2. Providing a service is not a copyright violation.
#2 is definitely true in most countries, but not all. It is true in the U.S.
#3 can be true in the United States through that law above, but only through some sort of legal contortion. The law was not meant for that type of thing.
#4 is only true where #3 is true, which isn't a ton of countries.

Last edited:
gl-2x.png

That's Ultima 6.

The Day CipSoft ever took me to court is the day I own Stephan Börzsönyi and Guido Lubke's ass with my near mint retail package of Ultima 6 circa 1991 a good six years before Tibia was ever thought of. Bring it on.

<-- doesn't run a server but would never ever back down from a legal fight over being a copy of a copy.

Edit: Just for completeness heres an image from Ultima 7 too.
ultima7-murder.jpg

Last edited:
gl-2x.png

That's Ultima 6.

The Day CipSoft ever took me to court is the day I own Stephan Börzsönyi and Guido Lubke's ass with my new mint retail package of Ultima 6 circa 1991 a good six years before Tibia was ever thought of. Bring it on.

<-- doesn't run a server but would never ever back down from a legal fight over being a copy of a copy.

xD how interesting...

well, tythorzeth said it was all a lie, remere just told that to retire or keep the money or smth like that
why haven't they sued pokemon online which has been really a more successful ot, using their client & editing it, etc, but they sue Remere and Co. it's simply suspicious. all this court stuff is a hoax

well, tythorzeth said it was all a lie, remere just told that to retire or keep the money or smth like that
why haven't they sued pokemon online which has been really a more successful ot, using their client & editing it, etc, but they sue Remere and Co. it's simply suspicious. all this court stuff is a hoax

1+.

Back