• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Rudger's mapping (starter)

rudger

Solutions
Reaction score
Welcome,

I just started but I would like feedback cause I want to improve.

15x0ev7.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking that a bridge brings a little more rpg feeling. Walking forward without any obstacle is kind of boring I think.

Yes, I've used a little auto border ;).

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Last edited:
This type of water is used for caves - and even then, I dislike it. Do not mix all those different types of grass and dafuq is with the bushes

Last edited:
I've editted the map a little.

Rik123 or others, how would I make darker parts in a wood without mixing different grass types?

24fb2uo.png

I've editted the map a little.

Rik123 or others, how would I make darker parts in a wood without mixing different grass types?

24fb2uo.png

I'd remove those I marked with a red circle. And the yellow squared are indicating that the gravel isn't right. It is missing borders. About the darker parts, I wouldn't do it at all. I have never did it and it's imposible to do it, as you lack the sprites - except if you make new sprites. The grass you used is used for parks etc.. Just like the upper left trees I marked, they're meant to be placed inside towns as decoration and not as trees growing in the wild. This is the same for the most rightern marked tree.

The mango tree should only be placed in exotic enviroments and the jungle tree only in jungles. The same counts for the fallen tree logs.

Last but not least, use some RAW to make the borders - especially at the riverside. It will look much better.

But for a beginner, it looks nice ;>

I'd remove those I marked with a red circle. And the yellow squared are indicating that the gravel isn't right. It is missing borders. About the darker parts, I wouldn't do it at all. I have never did it and it's imposible to do it, as you lack the sprites - except if you make new sprites. The grass you used is used for parks etc.. Just like the upper left trees I marked, they're meant to be placed inside towns as decoration and not as trees growing in the wild. This is the same for the most rightern marked tree.
upload_2014-8-22_16-50-24.png
The mango tree should only be placed in exotic enviroments and the jungle tree only in jungles. The same counts for the fallen tree logs.

Last but not least, use some RAW to make the borders - especially at the riverside. It will look much better.

But for a beginner, it looks nice ;>

Thanks a lot for the help.

Could you give me the raw itemids because I don't really know which I could use.

Updated the map:

2qdsf1l.png

Already alot better :p
Instead making random dirt places, make them on places where it is logical the grass is missing there, like at the stairs is good, since people walk there and sunlight is missing.
You can make dirt places a bit shaped like a path, like in rl, that there are grass parts missing where people walk all the time.

You can also group nature/plants/bushes/trees. Some parts with alot of bushes and trees together, some parts more open.

Could you give me the raw itemids because I don't really know which I could use.

Updated the map:

2qdsf1l.png

Just right click on one of the borders at the water -> select RAW and there you are. Also, the bridge looks a bit odd because of the rope railing. You used the wrong type as it's straight. Use id 3783 for them

Why is there a patch of grass on a bridge? Why would any one even build a bridge over such a small body of water :p

Also mind those borders!
Ehh, it's a river. People do that sometimes. They did stuff like that at my summer camp :>

Updated the map:

2qdsf1l.png
Adding some stones and mushrooms might help a tad bit too :>

I just updated the map, however I'm not done yet.

changed/removed/added, dirt floors, bridge ropes, (packed) trees, other small things...

Thanks guys :)

2ykjdk5.png

Looks like you're headed in the right direction m8. I got two tips for you regarding nature.
1.) when placing nature sprites like bushes and such, try to be mindful of random spatial distribution.
By this I mean placing plants at random distances from each other. A good example is your river plants. They all appear to be roughly the same distance from each other and also all directly in the middle of the stream. Try placing some nearer the edge of the riverbank and then maybe a few in the middle as you have it, some in clusters and some by themselves.
2.) when placing things like flowers or mushrooms or even certain types of trees or bushes, it sometimes looks nice to place the majority of them in patches as if their seeds were spread by wind or little critters or they have hidden root systems underground
little example of flora clusters and shroom patch
EX_zps3bb9771a.png

I hope I'm not impeding by posting a shot, just expressing!
There are definitely some who would tell you I've got a strange "spammed" style, but I figure I'll give my two cents nonetheless.
just some thoughts :) I'm really liking your progression of shots here

Looks like you're headed in the right direction m8. I got two tips for you regarding nature.
1.) when placing nature sprites like bushes and such, try to be mindful of random spatial distribution.
By this I mean placing plants at random distances from each other. A good example is your river plants. They all appear to be roughly the same distance from each other and also all directly in the middle of the stream. Try placing some nearer the edge of the riverbank and then maybe a few in the middle as you have it, some in clusters and some by themselves.
2.) when placing things like flowers or mushrooms or even certain types of trees or bushes, it sometimes looks nice to place the majority of them in patches as if their seeds were spread by wind or little critters or they have hidden root systems underground
little example of flora clusters and shroom patch
EX_zps3bb9771a.png

I hope I'm not impeding by posting a shot, just expressing!
There are definitely some who would tell you I've got a strange "spammed" style, but I figure I'll give my two cents nonetheless.
just some thoughts :) I'm really liking your progression of shots here

Dafuq, massive mushies in the middle of a forest. Also dislike the darker green grass as it's more a decorative, garden floor. Also dislike those weird bushes, I'd only use them in caves with the 'new' dirt.

Back