• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Server requirements to host a stable server for 500+ people?

Benna

Reaction score
Topic what hardware and connection should you have to host a stable server for 500 users?

Or recommended

could be useful to provide TFS version as well as the operating system you are planning to host on. Not sure if there is any difference though hmm

tfs 0.x is the best option for host, i had a server couple of years, with 350+ at 400 players wituout lag

Lets be real here. Are you really thinking that you will get 500 players online? I don't want to be rude, it's not that easy to get these numbers popping.
Aim for something smaller, don't try to start big, that won't get you anywhere. The more people will come, the more you will know how server is working and what more do you need to make it work better. 90% of hosting services allows upgrading with more RAM, changing CPU and stuff on the same machine.
And really, don't host any server on Windows (not Windows Server), it's not meant for that. Go for Linux, Debian especially. There are plenty of tutorials on how to configure system and install most important packages.

If you dont have a demand for that. Start with a VPS (Linux Server) NEVER Windows.

But... If you're a experienced admin with a community anxious to play this amazing project, start with a dedicated.
Start with small physical server, manage with a good administration and increase your infrastructure.

Some of the most important parts of a host are not even hardware related. It would be difficult to find a datacenter that offers machines incapable of running an OT.

Things you should consider:
RAM is usually expensive, shop around for the amount of ram you think your server will use. I would overcompensate here but not too much due to price. Keep an eye on how much memory your server is using as you gain players and upgrade as you need it. For reference, my server (Deathzot) has 32gb of ram (because it was cheap as hell at OVH) and I cannot recall a single time it has used anywhere near that, 16 probably would have been more than enough. I will say, I've never ran a real map so I'm not sure how much memory it uses but I assume it isn't that big of a difference.
Not sure if this will help at all but currently Deathzot (based on TFS 0.4) is using around 1.5gb with ~10 players online, for comparison my TFS 1.x test server has around 5 players online testing and uses <100mb so maybe those numbers will help you decide what you need.

Location is extremely important, even on the best datacenter in the world, if your playerbase is in the US and the server is in China, its going to feel like shit.

Service... This is so hard to judge before buying and it is so important. How often are outages, how quick are they to respond to issues, how strong is their network, what is their policy for DDOS attacks. The last thing you want is for your server to be down for hours every week because they are constantly having issues, or them shutting your server down because its being DDOSed and they don't want to deal with it.
Something to keep in mind... Your server (if long term) will have hardware failures, it will be DDOSed, and it will experience outages due to your host having issues. The question is how big of an impact will these things have overall. A good company will be able to get your server back up and running extremely fast even under the worst conditions.

A good example, OVH Montreal, had a person run into a power pole and it punctured their trunk line between Montreal and USA, they had a backup line functional within hours (tho poor performance) and the main line was mostly fixed a day later, I think the complete repair took a couple days total but most of their service was back online within 24 hours.

A bad example, we actually had a company email us and tell us that we needed to go and purchase 3rd party DDOS solutions or they would turn our server off. In addition, every time the server was hit with an attack it was turned off for around 24 hours, even if the attack only lasted a few minutes.

Lets be real here. Are you really thinking that you will get 500 players online? I don't want to be rude, it's not that easy to get these numbers popping.
Aim for something smaller, don't try to start big, that won't get you anywhere. The more people will come, the more you will know how server is working and what more do you need to make it work better. 90% of hosting services allows upgrading with more RAM, changing CPU and stuff on the same machine.
And really, don't host any server on Windows (not Windows Server), it's not meant for that. Go for Linux, Debian especially. There are plenty of tutorials on how to configure system and install most important packages.

No, nowhere did i state that i think that i will get 500 players online.
I want to mess around privately to check the server and so, then maybe i'll be interested of being a member of a crew that host a server.

I'm here to get the information about what the recommendations are and what kind of hardware along with connection and ddos protection.

If you dont have a demand for that. Start with a VPS (Linux Server) NEVER Windows.

But... If you're a experienced admin with a community anxious to play this amazing project, start with a dedicated.
Start with small physical server, manage with a good administration and increase your infrastructure.

I want to host it on my own system before anything to mess around and check it, however for some reason i don't even get it to start. Wish i had some discord friends that had some knowledge that could help me out :(

Some of the most important parts of a host are not even hardware related. It would be difficult to find a datacenter that offers machines incapable of running an OT.

Things you should consider:
RAM is usually expensive, shop around for the amount of ram you think your server will use. I would overcompensate here but not too much due to price. Keep an eye on how much memory your server is using as you gain players and upgrade as you need it. For reference, my server (Deathzot) has 32gb of ram (because it was cheap as hell at OVH) and I cannot recall a single time it has used anywhere near that, 16 probably would have been more than enough. I will say, I've never ran a real map so I'm not sure how much memory it uses but I assume it isn't that big of a difference.
Not sure if this will help at all but currently Deathzot (based on TFS 0.4) is using around 1.5gb with ~10 players online, for comparison my TFS 1.x test server has around 5 players online testing and uses <100mb so maybe those numbers will help you decide what you need.

Location is extremely important, even on the best datacenter in the world, if your playerbase is in the US and the server is in China, its going to feel like shit.

Service... This is so hard to judge before buying and it is so important. How often are outages, how quick are they to respond to issues, how strong is their network, what is their policy for DDOS attacks. The last thing you want is for your server to be down for hours every week because they are constantly having issues, or them shutting your server down because its being DDOSed and they don't want to deal with it.
Something to keep in mind... Your server (if long term) will have hardware failures, it will be DDOSed, and it will experience outages due to your host having issues. The question is how big of an impact will these things have overall. A good company will be able to get your server back up and running extremely fast even under the worst conditions.

A good example, OVH Montreal, had a person run into a power pole and it punctured their trunk line between Montreal and USA, they had a backup line functional within hours (tho poor performance) and the main line was mostly fixed a day later, I think the complete repair took a couple days total but most of their service was back online within 24 hours.

A bad example, we actually had a company email us and tell us that we needed to go and purchase 3rd party DDOS solutions or they would turn our server off. In addition, every time the server was hit with an attack it was turned off for around 24 hours, even if the attack only lasted a few minutes.

+1

Thank you for the answer, great answer and i will come back to this post whenever it's time if i want to host one, for now I'm just out to get the knowledge and to just get it started.

Back