• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Lua Setting up a development environment.

KineticShampoo

Reaction score
I'm a programmer that's worked with C# and Python in the past. I've looked up LUA (the language you use to script on Tibia) and it has a nice clean syntax.

So my question is, how do I setup a dev environment to learn how to script private servers? What do I have to download? I see there are like 600 different flavors of a server, which one is the one I should be targeting?

Is there a guide somewhere?

Last edited:
Bienvenido a nuestra comunidad de OTServers. Welcome to our OTServer Community.

May I ask what do you mean by "Development Environment"?

Did you mean like an how to set up a full server on where you can test/run your LUA scripts?

Just in case, you do know that this is a game community about "Tibia"?

Anyways, Welcome!

Did you mean like an how to set up a full server on where you can test/run your LUA scripts?

Anyways, Welcome!

I'm a programmer that's worked with C# and Python in the past. I've looked up LUA (the language you use to script on Tibia) and it has a nice clean syntax.

So my question is, how do I setup a dev environment to learn how to script private servers? What do I have to download? I see there are like 600 different flavors of a server, which one is the one I should be targeting?

Is there a guide somewhere?

Anyways, Welcome!

Meaning, when I code up my first LUA script, how do I verify that it runs? Is the only way to see if it works, is by running an actual server on my machine?

@up
Hussein Hero From OTFans said:
OTScript Live! v0.4.1.13

What's the OTScript Live!?

OTScript Live! is a LUA editor software with some functions aimed to OTServer scripting.

I'm an expert scripter! Should I use it?
Even if you are an expert scripter, it doesn't mean you must do all your work in notepad. OTscript Live! has an notepad like GUI and offers you tools for beginners and professionals scripters, so you can script faster and more organized.

Features:

* LUA Syntax Highlighter
* Various Types of Highlight
* Functions' Window with Easy-To-Use Search System
* Items' Window with Easy-To-Use Search System
* LUA Syntax Helper Window
* Auto-Complete with LUA and OTServer functions (F1 to activate it)
* Search, Replace and Go to Line
* Magic Area Editor v0.2
* Spells Maker v0.1
* Quests Maker v0.1
* Hotkeys (Ctrl + Shift + [0..9])
* Debugger (F5 - Shortcut)
* Data Editor
* OTScriptLIB Installer (v0.2 included)
* Tabs System
* Macro Recorder
* LUA Compiler (F9 - Hotkey)

LUA Compiler
This tool encrypts the LUA file in a way that the OTServer can still read and execute it. If you want to release a script and don't it to be open-source, you can easily compile it and share the compiled file.
(This tool should not be abused for releasing purposes)

Data Editor
Data Editor works directly with the editor, there you edit the visual, functions, hotkeys, highlighting, etc...

Download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/72498661/OTScript_Live_.rar

Credits to: colex @ OTFans

Meaning, when I code up my first LUA script, how do I verify that it runs? Is the only way to see if it works, is by running an actual server on my machine?

Yes, in this case you would have to run the server and the client you will also need an IP changer so you can change the IP of the client to the IP that the server is running.
This is the OTServer, just download everything that is needed to run the server.

This is the 8.54 Tibia client that is needed to play in your 8.54 server.

This is the IP changer needed to change the clients IP to your servers IP.

If you need to know anything else ask me or anyone else, we'll help to the best of our knowledge.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I'll be sure to write a complete tutorial once I figure the ins and outs about setting up the development environment. Thanks again.

Back