• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Shiva Shadowsong Thread

New video is up!

I've been on vacation for most of August, so I haven't been posting much. Here's some stuff I've been working on:

Some death animations with bow and with crossbow:

m3IfGU3.gif
HVTWTtN.gif

Sample attack with bow (projectile to be omitted):
p6wI8QJ.gif

Smooth winter wolf animations:

9GjciJD.gif
W4O6wIj.gif

Some equipment i've been doodling, some turned out better than the others, but it's no point throwing them away, I may rework more later

pTBmKOL.png

gutBmo4.png

Was supposed to sell these but the guy never replied, don't know what to do with them, if anyone is interested PM me:

QGl2KCr.png

(Not pixel art, more like digital drawing)
PgrXpFkr.png

A great come-back after your inactivity <3
Animations are smooth and well planned. I just dont like the second animation of Wolf. Bite should be less of a walk-up and more of small jump-up, with few frames of preparation (think like arrow shoot anim: preparation, release, comeback).
Good job on sets, I know how much of effort it takes, both designing and drawing. My fav are 1st and 3rd. You need to focus more on boots shapes next time :D

I'm in love with your potions. Color shifts emphasizes magic aspect of this drinks. I can't say anything wrong about them as objects separately, but as a whole hp/mana potions shouldn't be that close in colors. Make Hp more red, or mana more blueish :D

Good Job again, can't wait for your future works
xoxo

A great come-back after your inactivity <3
Animations are smooth and well planned. I just dont like the second animation of Wolf. Bite should be less of a walk-up and more of small jump-up, with few frames of preparation (think like arrow shoot anim: preparation, release, comeback).
Good job on sets, I know how much of effort it takes, both designing and drawing. My fav are 1st and 3rd. You need to focus more on boots shapes next time :D

I'm in love with your potions. Color shifts emphasizes magic aspect of this drinks. I can't say anything wrong about them as objects separately, but as a whole hp/mana potions shouldn't be that close in colors. Make Hp more red, or mana more blueish :D

Good Job again, can't wait for your future works
xoxo

Thanks for honest feedback Anevis, I've heard the same thing about the potions before, thankfully, changing their color is done almost automatically with hue change tools so it's not gonna be much of a problem, as for the wolf attack, I agree with you, unfortunately it's not as simple to change that one like it is with the potions, so before I make any more changes I have to see whether that will affect the full animation because there are several other attacks he uses so he won't be spamming this same move non stop, therefore not requiring a full loop for the animation.

Appreciate your posts as always <3
P.S I'm shit at boots, especially when rushing :oops:

Thats sweet, awesome, pretty damn. Those sets are amazing, every piece follow the same theme, perfect. Animations are so smooth, for which project you've made them?

Thats sweet, awesome, pretty damn. Those sets are amazing, every piece follow the same theme, perfect. Animations are so smooth, for which project you've made them?
Thanks Kuzyn, appreciate your comment. The animated stuff is for a project called Frontiers of Fantasy. You won't find much info on it because it hasn't been released other than occasional pics that I post here.

Here are some new sprites from me to look at, I've withdrawn into the shadows to work from behind the curtains for a while, but there's always something to share:

Several new sets; some were sold to a client, some were made for my web store. If anyone is interested, you can find more info there.
I had the most fun working on the Ranger and Christmas sets, as well as the Tiki set, some really fun designs and color combinations there.

2R0XY8R.png

I also continue working on smooth-animation for various creatures, this time I have some orcs to show:

ibpxDK8.gif
VnwjkCk.gif

And here an interior design which is not yet finished but I think is on a good way to set a theme for the rest of the sophisticated buildings and stores in the small settlement we're making:

jdgF27I.png

And here's some WIP of some bosses and their moves:

COMVHmh.gif

sJkFJM1.gif

Until next time,
Happy new year! :)

About the sets, you should take care with this "light-line-at-border" style.

It lacks AA on the edges and this leaves your sprites as swords and axes less sharp, and your curves without proper shapes due to aliasing.
Also it lacks global shading and contrast, so mostly the sprites looks flat.

Ex:
aBQ0HG3.png

Take care also with this basic concept, the jaggy on the curves:
curved_jag.gif

The house is good, reminds me Bloodstone, just take a look at the items on the surfaces that could appear a bit more using proper shadows/outline.

I'm a great fan of how you guys are putting effort on those animated creatures, it's awesome!
Just would give a bit more attention on the painting as pointed for the items ;)

Happy new year!!

Last edited:
Welp, Shiva once again has lured me in to purchase more sprites. Keep up the absolutely savage work @Shadowsong and you got a lifetime customer from Archlight.

Will all this be implemented on Necronia? Or is it for any other OT?

About the sets, you should take care with this "light-line-at-border" style.

It lacks AA on the edges and this leaves your sprites as swords and axes less sharp, and your curves without proper shapes due to aliasing.
Also it lacks global shading and contrast, so mostly the sprites looks flat.

Ex:
aBQ0HG3.png

Take care also with this basic concept, the jaggy on the curves:
curved_jag.gif

The house is good, reminds me Bloodstone, just take a look at the items on the surfaces that could appear a bit more using proper shadows/outline.

I'm a great fan of how you guys are putting effort on those animated creatures, it's awesome!
Just would give a bit more attention on the painting as pointed for the items ;)

Happy new year!!

Leshrot thank you for your feedback, much appreciated as always. I'd like to make a few remarks on your comment - the flat technique I chose to use because I'm currently playing with that style and experimenting with it, you can see it in my most recent posts that it's very prominent. I won't claim it's the best style or that I'm utilizing it perfectly, it's just my thing atm, I will probably improve on it or experiment with other techniques after I feel I've had enough of this. I don't like to stick to one regime forever because it tends to get boring, especially when you do it on a daily basis.

I'm definitely guilty of letting some jaggies slip through my fingers, it's a very bad habit but sometimes I'll go "meh, it's so small, nobody will notice unless they zoom in 20x and look for that particular pixel" :D I must work on this train of thought.

I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to draw all this even though you didn't have to, cheers!

Welp, Shiva once again has lured me in to purchase more sprites. Keep up the absolutely savage work @Shadowsong and you got a lifetime customer from Archlight.

Much obliged, I'm glad to keep providing for such a variety of projects. Always puts a smile on my face to see my sprites in screenshots of Archlight or any other OT.

Will all this be implemented on Necronia? Or is it for any other OT?

Some of it will (1st 3 rows of sets, animated bosses at the bottom), some are for other customers, sales or projects (e.g. these orcs or this house).

:cool:
shiva.png

You need to improve the texture and contrast of the item, as the cloth texture among others. Beyond the contrast, try to give it light, metalic & golden objects have more contrast than cloth. Try to apply shadow and light with contrast. Besides that, it's good to try to smooth the lines inside the sprite. Try to do that with a cool shadow in your sprites. Try to enjoy AA, this means a lot to improve the sprite
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
use preservativo ;)

Last edited:
:cool:
shiva.png

You need to improve the texture and contrast of the item, as the cloth texture among others. Beyond the contrast, try to give it light, metalic & golden objects have more contrast than cloth. Try to apply shadow and light with contrast. Besides that, it's good to try to smooth the lines inside the sprite. Try to do that with a cool shadow in your sprites. Try to enjoy AA, this means a lot to improve the sprite
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
use preservativo ;)

Thanks for the tips, I like the way the green part looks in your revamp, I'll try to utilize more of this technique next time I make sets. :)

Thought i'd bump the thread a bit.
Lately I've been working on improving my old sprites and environments.
It's still work in progress, but just by comparing this WIP (on the right) and the old scenery (left, circa 2014) I can see how much better I've gotten at some things. I thought it was interesting to compare.
Still, lots of work left to do to replace all this ugly nonsense.
Maybe a few years down the line, I'll be saying the same about the pic on the right. Funny how all that works.

KVk6GSy.png

Here are some orcs from the previous post, now ready to rumble:

Dhjqxdi.gif
kfjCwVA.gif

I'm not happy with the yellow sparkles on the warchief's hammer animation yet, they are kind of placeholders but look rather rough in their current state. More will be done later in this regard.

And below we have Terogor The Earthlord, been working on him on and off for a while now because of all the details. Should be quite scary to meet ingame.
JnamZHs.png

Best sprites around by far! GJ

Wish i had those skills or someone like you in my project! haha

Keep it up!

About comparing both scenes, I feel like they both are actually amazing, second one shows you have mastered technique but the left one has that interesting feel, spirit where right one feels just too "clean" but its still very good. love the carpet btw

Back