• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Some thoughts on the community openness direction

BLtALBP.png

Bull****... I think I mentioned I would pay a nice amount... Still am, only not to anyone on this forum due to no one wanting to touch Unity besides Slavi. anyway's.. have fun.

I mean, if you do share what will happen? He'll drop the support? Or did he made you sign a contract that you'd be sued for sharing "his" work?
Because if it's just a matter of support, well, you lose him and you get several other people having your back. As long as we all act the same way in regarding our findings... it's literally a game of trust.
You will be no better than him by doing things like this. He should share his work to the community because the base of his work is from the community? Yes. He need to share his work to the community because the base of his work is from the community? No. This is the point, its up to him what he does with his skill, same for you and me. If you want to buy it and share with everyone, up for you. If @Sir Knighter does not because he wants to keep his word, up for him. No one to blame there, hes gone and if it'll be better without him we will see. Thats all.
@edubart Thank you for your amazing work. You did great things and we will always be pleased to use the client you created.

@Slavi Dodo I think that's the chance to set a discussion regarding the a future client that could be used by all of us. Since you name is keeping getting mentioned here again and again I would like to invite you to shed some light into the matter and explain a little bit of what is pending (either $$ or actual developers assisting you) specially considering there a apprehension in the air that unity builds somehow wouldn't be able to achieve a better performance than otc (as it is in Kondra's version, using sprite batching technique)

@Sir Knighter I don't want to flame you for you no reason, I'm only saying you shouldn't wait others to do something that you know would be helpful. We have a base calculation of 900 USD per month for each 100 players a server have (this may vary A LOT depending on public and things sold in shop) but it's been a good reference for what I could see, so in terms of your income and outcome, having 600 players, how much of this monthly paycheck have you returned back to community? I would prefer way more that you came here to shed some transparency instead of only publishing a biased point of view, posing as victim talking about 'trust and 'having a word' while trying to turn my own discourse against me to finally reach a misleading conclusion that I could be hypocrite here.

Why do you think others weren't encouraged to fund Unity Project? What have you tried and how it was the approach? I bet that if you did a huge topic about it inviting everyone to join the cause or used the influence of your server to go on and do something like "all donates for one day" or "week" be used to try and fund the new client. Specially use your influence and convince other servers to do the same.

In fact, none of this would be required at all if you just support tfs or otclient with commits or raising issues. I bet archlight has plenty of them fixed already. The contributtion doesn't necessarily needs to come by commit, a simple issue raised could be enough for raising awareness on the matter.

I'm not asking too much here, instead of raising a ticket in your trello and fixing it only for you, let other knows, discuss how was the approach you did. Using a neat architecture to avoid ddos? Discuss that in the discussion board...

If Kondra was right from the start, he wouldn't flee away embarassed after the lights came on. He'll not leave the community nor stop making fixes for the contributors, he'll just go continue working in the darkness.

BLtALBP.png

Bull****... I think I mentioned I would pay a nice amount... Still am, only not to anyone on this forum due to no one wanting to touch Unity besides Slavi. anyway's.. have fun.
"I dont believe you because I wasn't asked"
"However I wouldn't even of given anyways to anyone from this forum"

Okay.

Sorry I have 0 clue who you are anyways, likely why I never reached out to you.
@Slavi Dodo I think that's the chance to set a discussion regarding the a future client that could be used by all of us. Since you name is keeping getting mentioned here again and again I would like to invite you to shed some light into the matter and explain a little bit of what is pending (either $$ or actual developers assisting you) specially considering there a apprehension in the air that unity builds somehow wouldn't be able to achieve a better performance than otc (as it is in Kondra's version, using sprite batching technique)

@Sir Knighter I don't want to flame you for you no reason, I'm only saying you shouldn't wait others to do something that you know would be helpful. We have a base calculation of 900 USD per month for each 100 players a server have (this may vary A LOT depending on public and things sold in shop) but it's been a good reference for what I could see, so in terms of your income and outcome, having 600 players, how much of this monthly paycheck have you returned back to community? I would prefer way more that you came here to shed some transparency instead of only publishing a biased point of view, posing as victim talking about 'trust and 'having a word' while trying to turn my own discourse against me to finally reach a misleading conclusion that I could be hypocrite here.

Why do you think others weren't encouraged to fund Unity Project? What have you tried and how it was the approach? I bet that if you did a huge topic about it inviting everyone to join the cause or used the influence of your server to go on and do something like "all donates for one day" or "week" be used to try and fund the new client. Specially use your influence and convince other servers to do the same.

In fact, none of this would be required at all if you just support tfs or otclient with commits or raising issues. I bet archlight has plenty of them fixed already. The contributtion doesn't necessarily needs to come by commit, a simple issue raised could be enough for raising awareness on the matter.

I'm not asking too much here, instead of raising a ticket in your trello and fixing it only for you, let other knows, discuss how was the approach you did. Using a neat architecture to avoid ddos? Discuss that in the discussion board...

If Kondra was right from the start, he wouldn't flee away embarassed after the lights came on. He'll not leave the community nor stop making fixes for the contributors, he'll just go continue working in the darkness.
100% is returned to the community. We are one of the few non-rl map servers in 2020, sticking to the old custom project idea, instead of a regurgitated rl map like the other 95%. Weve been actively developed for 5 years without disappearing cause we got uninterested or bored like most other devs. I've been a donator to otland for half a decade. Weve been none profit for 2 years now. It goes all back into talented artists, mappers and programmers all from this community to keep our project something unique and different from all the rl map projects out there. They get to do their past un-paid/underpaid hobby now full time. Oh :) and I funded a project for 5k that over 60k people have been able to use to have a better OT experience for free. What have you done for this community?

Also kondrah is far from fleeing. He's peacing out cause he doesnt have the energy/patience for ******** like you. The same reason no owner of a large project is responding here but my dumb ass. Cause they don't even want to waste an ounce of attention on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this all comes down to the leadership/direction of Otland in general. If you sit down and do a root cause analysis you will find all these arguments, threads and other issues similar to it would probably never have happened in the first place.

First off I have immense respect for anyone who volunteers there work in any capacity that goes for any community member including the Otland staff but edubart said it himself “Great active open source projects must always have a highly capable mind maintaining it.”.

Since mark left that passion/drive to have OTland set itself apart went with him. Its okay to say the community is open source and we should just leave it as a free for all but there could have been so much more stuff done to help the community flourish and grow.

I have seen it elsewhere and as a suggestion in this thread but some monetary benefit/scheme for contributions to developers could have/should have been implemented ages ago. If we had a system in place either subscription based, bounty hit list or any similar system edubart might still be here, kondras client might be open source, insert every other X drama over leachers/developers drama would probably be avoided. Under a system like this lechers are happy and developers are happy, the prisoners dilemma is removed and we can flourish.

It’s easy to say just donate to this guy or there already a hit list but if this type of stuff is not driven publicly from the top down for all to see. It will never have the impact required to make a difference. I didn't even know the znotes hitlist stuff was a thing until I accidently stumbled on it a month ago.

You can still be an “open source” community but reward developers with more then just thanks and praise because at the end of the day humans need to be incentivized and one of the best forms of incentivization is monetary gain for all the reasons explained already. Just imagine what this community could be like if a regiment system like this was in place.

I think that if @Don Daniello you cant introduce a system like this for what ever reason then you need to pass the reigns over to someone super passionate who wants to make this community the powerhouse it can be, promote someone within, scout someone from the community do whatever is required to satisfy both parties and let OTland live up to its potential.

The community doesn’t need to be like this. It has so much potential, so many talent people it just needs a framework and system in place to support it.

Last edited:
@Sir Knighter
"I dont believe you because I wasn't asked"
"However I wouldn't even of given anyways to anyone from this forum"

Okay.

Sorry I have 0 clue who you are anyways, likely why I never reached out to you.

Actually you do, but it's no biggie. And yes, we were in a thread mentioning Unity clients... Still, no biggie again as it's already taken care of.

@Sir Knighter
I'm not even going to discuss the alucination you just had by thinking the community is only your server development. You should probably go to a shrink;
What have you done for this community?
I'm glad you asked...
If you have a custom server you probably have come across my scripts or at least my ideas in many ocasions but as I have been always programming for free and not caring for credits you never knew it was mine. Since 2014 I've been the most active member in the otserver community (considering all the forums that exist). I've taught Lua and algorithms for incountable students and I'm also aware that some of my students did freelances for your project as well.
You may not give a shit about returning things back to community but let you tell you a quick story. In Brazil we have a thing called 'federal universities' that are basically the best universities of the country and that are absolutely free, but in order to be approved you need to study a lot (and way more to leave with a degree). That means that I have studied for free in one of the best places I could possibly go, and the people from all my country paid my time there with their taxes (which are abusive here in Brazil, to say the least).

So yeah, you might understand where I got my morals from, we as 'federal student' have a debt to be paid with society. We are taught that from day 1 and reinforced this before receiving the degree. We have the challenge to spread the knowledge and make the world better in order to somehow payback for all the people that even in poverty supported mine and thousands others scholarships. And I'm starting this with this 'microcosmos' of my life that is open tibia.

Because of this, all my contents were aimed at Brazil community since many people start OTs in a way to help parents at home with the additional income. The language shouldn't be a problem if you just read the code though.

Feel free to browse to some of my work (don't forget to leave a like ;) ), most of them are limited to old tfs version because I took to long to migrate, my intention was always the logic and never to stay attached to one version or the other, but to contribute. If you spare some of your time you can find inumerous of my works copied all over otland.

Also, if we consider the also the commits in github I have been reporting all issues that I find there both in edubart's repository as in the tfs one. This are just the 'still opened' ones, unfortunatly as I have already stated before, Iryont did the favor of deleting several of them without a justificative.
e.g:

1587617201265.png

Now please, I invite you to show some topics with content created by you...
----------------------------------------------------------

As for my original comment and edubarts comment, let's stop just this gibberish discussion and focus on who is working on what and how we can all focus our works into a single thing. There are like 432652 forks of tfs that are just duplicated efforts, there are tons of bugs or improvements in algorithms which people are aware but never reported and use it to either exploit others or advertise as an improvement towards other servers.
Focus guys, focus. See what you have and what you can do and share. I'll be reaching some of the people I know that have the power to boost the development and ask their support personally, and see how I can help too.

Last edited:
There start creating two camps, supporters and opponents of OTCv8, this it goes the wrong way.
You guys starting pointing out who did more or less for community.
It revolves around one person, we should end this topic and let it do what it wants until it demands money in the "open source" forum.
We, as a community, should create a Main OTC thread in which we will begin to solve OTC problems, throw solutions and improvements for all of us.
And show the others that strength is in the team and the whole community, not one person.

There start creating two camps, supporters and opponents of OTCv8, this it goes the wrong way.
You guys starting pointing out who did more or less for community.
It revolves around one person, we should end this topic and let it do what it wants until it demands money in the "open source" forum.
We, as a community, should create a Main OTC thread in which we will begin to solve OTC problems, throw solutions and improvements for all of us.
And show the others that strength is in the team and the whole community, not one person.

I strongly agree on this one.
You all talking about what you did while forgetting what we were.

Remember when you were new and was posting something to give back to this community for everything it taught you? This is how it should be kept. Since we went through big monetization on everything, I (once again) suggest crowdfunding client/server fixes and top priority issues through bounties. This way you can still keep your unique events/systems for yourself to make your servers outstanding instead of just having fixes.

At this point we all are veterans. No need to boost your ego guys. It's not about what we did in the past, but what we can do in the future.

Everyone is invited. Veterans will be recognized, just stop switching usernames (return to your most recognizable one if possible) so we know who you are.

and there was one more client somebody linked somewhere but I forgot the name.
another client that worth a mention, even if it is not being actively developed, is the one from @fabian766 :
https://i.ibb.co/9ngJL22/The-Forgotten-Client.png https://i.ibb.co/gT8YLtX/The-Forgotten-Client.png https://i.ibb.co/Mgj16R2/The-Forgotten-Client.png
in all my years at otland, I'm still yet to see anyone as talented as him regarding client stuff

(since the owner of Phobos Online created an alt tibia client and released it on otfans I guess lol)

If we are talking about joining to develop a client i believe we should first weight which client is the best option and then start working(exemple: some people argue that unity is way better for developing user interface than otclient, otclient or any client developed from 0 has way more room for otimization than any unity client due unity limitations). i'm just asking why otc or why unity client.

If we are talking about joining to develop a client i believe we should first weight which client is the best option and then start working(exemple: some people argue that unity is way better for developing user interface than otclient, otclient or any client developed from 0 has way more room for otimization than any unity client due unity limitations). i'm just asking why otc or why unity client.

unity: developers have a chance to grow and create independent games or even find some real jobs involving game development because unity is widely used nowadays
otclient: we just get more optimal game client if the claims about unity limitations are true and if all the performance issues actually get fixed

if the claims about unity limitations are true
They aren't, at least not anymore. Not that long ago Unity had big changes regarding 2D. Its not just UI that is easier to create in Unity, but out of the box working and very well optimized 2D lighting, sprite batching and more.

I've been here from Otfans days, on and off, and this is not the first time happening.
Obviously, there are 2 faces of the same coin here.
@kondra did a really good job adapting @edubart 's work, fck me, people is even paying 5k for the changes he did, thats a fact. In a community full of leechers (there was a time i was one of them aswell), he released a modified OTC with tons of new shit for free, he's just keeping some of the work for himself so he can be rewarded for his work, 100% normal. If i could do something that anybody else could do, ill would be charging for it aswell.

Obviously, this misses the point of the open-community. We are missing a point here, open-tibia is a leech itself, do not ever forget that, is quite important. Once open tibia servers started to make some cash with their servers, all communities changed, because who the fck doesnt want to earn money?

I really understand people's complains, but the only one here allowed to complain is @edubart who basically created OTC and those who supported OTC FOR FREE. Other people crying a river about kondra's work because someone is not getting everything for free.. jesus are you 7?

Time is fcking money. For some, this is a hobby, for others, a paid work. When you do an open source the first thing you NEED to know is that someone will use it, will make it better, and will make it his own, and if they are kind they will put you on the credits.

A community where everybody would be giving and sharing everything for free would be ideal in a perfect world, but people wouldnt be making any money out of tibia servers, it not hard to understad. Im really sorry, but you cannot cry because something it was free, it isnt anymore, and again, the only one allowed to cry (and not much, which he understands and didnt do) is @edubart which is a shame he stoped working on it, because he's obviously talented, and i really like talented people.

That being said, this is just my humble opinion and im not trying to offend anyone.

@Sir Knighter I dont have anything against you at all, love your server actually, but dont bullshit people with the "we gave our word". Please, im way too old to know that if you paid 5k for something, you wouldnt give shit to the community since others didnt want to share the expenses, you are 100% right to not share shit, you are running a small company after all, i would totally do the same, but the bullshit about the word thingy made me laugh man.

@Night Wolf I dont have anything about you either but to me, you just seem that you want free stuff that you cant do yourself, and i've read all your posts on this matter in case you are wondering. It's a shame OTCv8 is not free, but i didnt expect it to be. I know you are frustrated and swaped your pain into the openess of the community, and even if we appreciate your effort, that wont make it free.

If you want an open source community where everyone shares stuff for free the first we need is to make it private access. To join you would need to do a contribution with a code to the community, and keep the contributions for some time if you want to keep being a member (never with money obviously), that way you get rid of leechers.

This is an opinion, but you should be thankful for what you already have for free.

~Æronx

They aren't, at least not anymore. Not that long ago Unity had big changes regarding 2D. Its not just UI that is easier to create in Unity, but out of the box working and very well optimized 2D lighting, sprite batching and more.
As far i understand a tibia client requires more than the usual 2d things(like sprite batching).

Back