• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Sprites by Saphron

I must ask you - why the hell not?
Because If you're gonna apply "scientific" explanations to the fantasy genre at some point you will hit the wall called: your explanation doesn't make a damn sense and it is much simpler to just say "mysterious arcane forces is behind all of that" or your fantasy novel/motion picture/comics/ will slowly transform into fully fledged sci-fi but without space, spacecrafts, deathstars, laser weaponry and Jar-Jar Binks.
Also there is that simple rule of writing good stories, that You don't explain everything and just leave something be. It can be boring for reader/watcher to follow every damn explanation for every damn apple on the three, river name, road name, mountain name, sword name, etc. Some stuff is just product of author's mind and in this way it fits overall shape of the story, so there is no need of explaining.

Last edited:
Because If you're gonna apply "scientific" explanations to the fantasy genre at some point you will hit the wall called: your explanation doesn't make a damn sense and it is much simpler to just say "mysterious arcane forces is behind all of that" or your fantasy novel/motion picture/comics/ will slowly transform into fully fledged sci-fi but without space, spacecrafts, deathstars, laser weaponry and Jar-Jar Binks.
Also there is that simple rule of writing good stories, that You don't explain everything and just leave something be. It can be boring for reader/watcher to follow every damn explanation for every damn apple on the three, river name, road name, mountain name, sword name, etc. Some stuff is just product of author's mind and in this way it fits overall shape of the story, so there is no need of explaining.

Obviously you are not talking about keeping correct anatomy, im not talking about proportions or other things such as symmetry etc. but rather about keeping it "real", keeping it in a way how such being should look, for example if you would take dwarf, because we are talking about him - basic proportions and deformations can easily be explained and SHOULD be applied even though my version may lack some details and does have some errors for example arms, but if such things would be completely from ass, this would be no dwarf anymore, this would be some shitty creation of imagination, im no Picasso, I am though aware of what you are saying but that wont apply to the work of realistic creations of beings, no one follows this rule, if its some demon, beast, ghost - whatever. In every movie, every game you will see that those things have tendency to keep realistic anatomy and preserve basic proportions to be even recognized and connected to what we see in our everyday life. If that would be as you say - without any need to apply scientific explanations, beings would look like this:

0:38.

There is a very important thing to notice that if something is not explain to the fullest with details to be able to recognize it, to understand the whole essence of what is on the picture, there is no need in creating it.

Also - dwarf even if it human imagination creature is based on like usually myth, legend, religion or reality. Dwarfs, in this case are based on midgets, always. Add beard and axe to a midget you wont see any difference, thats why midgets are called dwarfes. If you want to argue on meaning why anyone would put realistic anatomy there you have your answer.

You cannot compare dwarf to midgets, because in fantasy lore dwarfs are fully capable of functioning. Midgets suffer from serious genetic disorder, which makes them unnaturally small for human anatomy and they are not capable of preforming any complicated movements like running, fighting with melee weapon and many other things that Gimli from LOTR did.

Sooo… Like I said. Don’t explain that much. Make them look “good” for the eyes and that’s it. Don’t bother with “they are miners do they have bigger torso” bullshit.

You cannot compare dwarf to midgets, because in fantasy lore dwarfs are fully capable of functioning. Midgets suffer from serious genetic disorder, which makes them unnaturally small for human anatomy and they are not capable of preforming any complicated movements like running, fighting with melee weapon and many other things that Gimli from LOTR did.

Sooo… Like I said. Don’t explain that much. Make them look “good” for the eyes and that’s it. Don’t bother with “they are miners do they have bigger torso” bullshit.

You seem to know a lot about midgets :) Trust me they are capable of most things which healthy people are able to do.

Nah. I know few thing about bichemistry or genetics. This is just observation. Being capable doesn't mean being able to do something as good as other people. Midgets cannot lift that much, cannot run as fast are normal people, some of them due to size of skull are less inteligent, etc.

@Arashel you seem to be forgetting that these are sprites for a video game. He's not trying to recreate any photo realistic 1:1 shape.
Don't you feel a little dumb for being to only one shitting on his work when he has already proved his skills more than most of us?

Nah. I know few thing about bichemistry or genetics. This is just observation. Being capable doesn't mean being able to do something as good as other people. Midgets cannot lift that much, cannot run as fast are normal people, some of them due to size of skull are less inteligent, etc.

You seem to know nothing about dwarfs. And once again you spread sad stereotypes around due to your ignorance and lack of knowledge on subject. You seem to be one of those people which will do all it takes to prove that they are right, even if they arent.

Last edited:
@Arashel you seem to be forgetting that these are sprites for a video game. He's not trying to recreate any photo realistic 1:1 shape.
1. Don't you feel a little dumb for being to only one shitting on his work when he has already proved his skills more than most of us?
And WHY, in the name of God, are you addressing ME...? I'm not the one who talks about realism. I just said that proportion are off and it makes it look bad. That @Nekoyasha guy said: "I disagree, the dwarf looks okay in my opinion. He's a dwarf, mining all day, wolfing down mead and mushrooms, of course he's supposed to be wider on the top." and for soem stupid reason You all attack me... Where is the logic in that...?
2. I never "shit" on his work. I just gave my opinion. Even more! He AGREED with my original comment on that dwarf. >>> https://otland.net/threads/sprites-by-saphron.197679/page-20#post-2345320 <<<

You seem to know nothing about dwarfs. And once again you spread sad stereotypes around due to your ignorance and lack of knowledge on subject. You seem to be one of those people which will do all it takes to prove that they are right, even if they arent.
Well... I'm not the one who thinks that dwarfs-midgets can run just like Usain Bolt or lift as much as world-class bodybuilders. Don't call me ignorant, because it's stupid and childish.

Last edited:
Yes Arashel but the argument about something different than messed up proportions. Its about defending with good arguments artwork.

CHfYWg8.png

Guess thats the final

Fantasy is actually a transformation and combination of things of reality.

When @Saphron aimed to make a Dwarf, he wanted to follow a concept that already exists, there are small errors in the sprite (about the concept) that he recognized and can improve.

Of course you don't need apply mathematical logic, calculate the mass and use formulas to make a sprite, anyway, there is some good sense in how to work with fantasy.

You can create a giant dragon with wings in a rat size, can even say that it flies, but it will be weird and not congruent.

Feel free to create, but remind fantasy is inspired by reality.
Can't say bizarre isn't allowed, but I prefer good sense, especially if you have a concept to be followed.

This witner style is okay, but imho stones/mountains should be darker.

What a crazy discussion because of sprites :eek: hahahaha omgwtf. Very curious about this 64x project! its not Bloodstone?

HXt8XBP.png

Snowy realm

You made those ground textures by scratch? xD

Just because the quality of the sprites in this scene are at different levels.

If you look in the body near water (I belive it's a human body), the skeleton in grounds, the isolated stones and stone mountains.
All got different quality, even more if you compare then to the grounds.

You made those ground textures by scratch? xD

Just because the quality of the sprites in this scene are at different levels.

If you look in the body near water (I belive it's a human body), the skeleton in grounds, the isolated stones and stone mountains.
All got different quality, even more if you compare then to the grounds.

Yeah I guess its because of monitors Ive been working with, thats why there are some burnt-out white places on mountains and that BLUE bush, it wasnt visible on old monitor though, also textures are made by myself first by rendering repetitive square in zbrush and then changing colors and stuff in photoshop :)

Back