• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Sprites by Saphron

Looks great, but I hope those are not another 3x3/4x4 sprites...

@Ochman
Demon is 3x2 since the horn extends a bit. Giant spider is 2x2.
Its not a big issue with big monsters as long as they have two legs to be bigger than 2x2, things get complicated with snakes, spiders, dragons etc. since the area for legs takes more than two sqms :)

---
Ill post again since new page
---
Been a while since I posted some works so here are the ones im most proud of:

YYeF0xJ.png

ypIzsdB.png

Assets made for Medivia online.

What I do not like about big sprites is that, gameplay-wise, they cover too many SQMs which leads often to bad readability. Especially when whole floor is covered up in bodies and there are 3+ monsters that cover half of your PoV. But it's just my opinion, I see that more and more spriters do like bigger sprites for some reason.

On that (size) topic tho, do you have any special small monster sprites? I'm curious how do you sprite when you have even fewer pixels than 32x32

I dont really work with such small space since through years of working with the perspective I learned that in order to make a good sprite it takes a bit more than 32x32, at least 36x36. Otherwise there wont be any details visible.
Here is some goblin I made lately, 37x33.
xKEsAPg.png

About the gameplay wise size of sprite I do agree, as I mentioned player sprite should not be covered by monster since the visibility is the most important. That issue wont happen with sizes of 2x2 unless its a spider or a snake that covers 2 sqm with its tail.

I love the graphic of birds! On technical note I would use some more random time offset before bird flies off, it would not look so constant/predictable.
Great job nevertheless

Amazing! Medivia is leaving rl Tibia behind.

Are you drawing sprites in 32x32 and then resize it to 64x64 or in higher resolution from the begining?

I do not like most of the sprites because they are “too smooth” and have little to no dirty elements. I do appreciate composition of those sprites, tho, since it’s always on point

Its because they have been enlarged from 32x32 to 64x64, that's what makes them look this smooth ;)

I love the sprites
Is it for medivia? Sorry never played it
Post automatically merged:

I love the sprites
Is it for medivia? Sorry never played ir

I do not like most of the sprites because they are “too smooth” and have little to no dirty elements. I do appreciate composition of those sprites, tho, since it’s always on point
Typical of bad upscaling, fine details and straight lines are smoothed and bent out of existence and it ends up looking like a bad oil painting usually not very noticeable unless zoomed in, seems these guys took it a bit too far lol. Personally I absolutely hate the end result of these sprites because I can't see past the absolutely ridiculous amount of smoothing and my brain struggles to understand why anyone would choose this usually unwanted effect as a style.
(to understand better take any low res image and upscale it using any online upscaler, then you have "medivia style")

The sprites before upscaling are straight 10/10 tho.

Typical of bad upscaling, fine details and straight lines are smoothed and bent out of existence and it ends up looking like a bad oil painting usually not very noticeable unless zoomed in, seems these guys took it a bit too far lol. Personally I absolutely hate the end result of these sprites because I can't see past the absolutely ridiculous amount of smoothing and my brain struggles to understand why anyone would choose this usually unwanted effect as a style.
(to understand better take any low res image and upscale it using any online upscaler, then you have "medivia style")

The sprites before upscaling are straight 10/10 tho.

I would really like to see any example of a better upscaling done by AI, provide if you have any ;)

I love the sprites
Is it for medivia? Sorry never played it

I love the sprites
Is it for medivia? Sorry never played ir
Yes its Medivia Online :)

Last edited:
Back