• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Spriting like a boss. (Just a beginner haha)

Ranyo13

ManCausingMayhem
Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome to my spriting thread,
  • I've just started spriting today using normal Paint program.
  • My sprites are simple, I'm always trying to improve them.
  • Please suggest me things to do and also some advice if you can.
  • Positive criticism maybe? :p
Please do not use/share my 'awesome' sprites without my permission.

Darandul:
idWtGulAp

Glass Bow:
f0fqSBEap

Flame Eagle's Eye:
p5K6zRDip

Templar Shield:
f0TP9Tyqp

Giant Sword:
ipdjsmVTp

Bonecrusher:
iplRc6VOp

Last edited:
Always make black outline first. Then fill the knife with colors from inside :)

What do you think? Any other basic steps I should consider?
mKzeyP.png

Noob Ice Sword
aKIHQu.png

Ugliest Throwing Star ever:
0461mM.png

EDIT: I tried using Adobe Photoshop, but I think Paint is way better, simpler and easier for me.
Any suggestions?
Photoshop Fire Sword:
YCju1m.png

Last edited:
Some edits to the fire sword.
AMhIeV.png

Glacier Lance(EDITED OLD DRAGON LANCE SPRITE):
sS7qBp.gif

If you know of any better ways to sprite please lemme know, I use paint and set the size of image to 32x32 in pixels then start coloring each 1x pixel.

Bloody Blade:
AUzLRe.png

Blazing Legs:
eyYfZn.png

Last edited:
Please welcome the best sword I've made so far tell me what do you think:
The Mirage:
8DYshY.png

Updated Firesword, been trying to make it better but it seems that I'm failing.
LKCuJO.png

Updated Blazing Legs (not much of an update though trying to make it look more realistic.)
fVWudE.png

Updated Bloody Blade (I dunno why does it look like it has wings doe o_O)
NvdFGo.png

Last edited:
I don't know why but I can't get any of my items to look realistic.
New item: Raptor.
lRc6VO.png

I don't know why but I can't get any of my items to look realistic.
New item: Raptor.
lRc6VO.png
to do items that look realistic, first you have to think of the material you are using, for example, that purple axe, what material is it? because if it is a purple metal, doesn't matter if it's purple, it should shine a lot more, add some white, and very whitish purple, otherwise if it is plastic, you should focus the light you used in other points, what you did there is called pillowshading, the light comming from the front. If you are spriting in tibia style, light comes from top left. I hope i helped =)

to do items that look realistic, first you have to think of the material you are using, for example, that purple axe, what material is it? because if it is a purple metal, doesn't matter if it's purple, it should shine a lot more, add some white, and very whitish purple, otherwise if it is plastic, you should focus the light you used in other points, what you did there is called pillowshading, the light comming from the front. If you are spriting in tibia style, light comes from top left. I hope i helped =)
Tried to do the light coming from top left thing, but it turned out to be coming from bottom left lmao
There:
djsmVT.png
and it still looks plastic

Tried to do the light coming from top left thing, but it turned out to be coming from bottom left lmao
There:
djsmVT.png
and it still looks plastic
you might wanna check swords made by more experienced spriters, it might help you, to see how they apply colors, where to put the lights, where the shadows, etc

you might wanna check swords made by more experienced spriters, it might help you, to see how they apply colors, where to put the lights, where the shadows, etc
Thank you.
Thats a huge progression
Wow, it's really motivating to read such sentence from a very talented spriter, thanks a lot mate.
I will be posting more and better sprites soon.

Thank you.

Wow, it's really motivating to read such sentence from a very talented spriter, thanks a lot mate.
I will be posting more and better sprites soon.

Put all attention into black outline, it has to be symetrical then fill the insides with colors and remember to make a lot of weapons. You can even copy pictures of others and try to make same weapon alone :)

I like em! It reminds me back when I first started spriting things. Always remember that the light in tibia comes from the NE, and that shadows and lighting are absolutely the most important thing for sprites! Symmetry is great if you want all your weapons to have a simple, sleek style. However I recommend you think hard about the colors you put into sprites as well. Check out pictures of other sprites, weapons and armor (Real life stuff), to get an idea of how the light would shine and reflect off pieces, as well as the 'style' the weapon was made in. Don't forget that colors are key to making the sprite pop out. If you're making fire, have dark red with light yellows and oranges trailing off. Try not to make things look sporadic, have a good flow to them. It never hurts to recolor/modify original tibia sprites too. It gives a good base for seeing how light looks on the different 'materials' that weps and armor are made from.

Here's some examples I had from the very first few I made, to show you that you gotta start somewhere!

CAUTION! Horrible sprites ahead.

sword2.jpg~c100

Axe1.png~c100

sword3.png~c100

sword4-1.png~c100

Claw.png~c100

Axe2.png~c100

nutts.png~c100

Rune.png~c100

Workin.png~c100

DoubleSword.png~c100

Last edited:
Put all attention into black outline, it has to be symetrical then fill the insides with colors and remember to make a lot of weapons. You can even copy pictures of others and try to make same weapon alone :)
I tried copying pictures but I wanna come up with my own ideas of sprites ^^
I like em! It reminds me back when I first started spriting things. Always remember that the light in tibia comes from the NE, and that shadows and lighting are absolutely the most important thing for sprites! Symmetry is great if you want all your weapons to have a simple, sleek style. However I recommend you think hard about the colors you put into sprites as well. Check out pictures of other sprites, weapons and armor (Real life stuff), to get an idea of how the light would shine and reflect off pieces, as well as the 'style' the weapon was made in. Don't forget that colors are key to making the sprite pop out. If you're making fire, have dark red with light yellows and oranges trailing off. Try not to make things look sporadic, have a good flow to them. It never hurts to recolor/modify original tibia sprites too. It gives a good base for seeing how light looks on the different 'materials' that weps and armor are made from.

Here's some examples I had from the very first few I made, to show you that you gotta start somewhere!

CAUTION! Horrible sprites ahead.

sword2.jpg~c100

Axe1.png~c100

sword3.png~c100

sword4-1.png~c100

Claw.png~c100

Axe2.png~c100

nutts.png~c100

Rune.png~c100

Workin.png~c100

DoubleSword.png~c100
Those are some pretty good sprites for me haha.

My new flame eagle's eye (In less than 5 minutes :( )
BgkJcG.png

Always surround colorful pixels with black outline, this will help making this bow bigger and stronger also it will help with directing eye to some parts of the bow

Always surround colorful pixels with black outline, this will help making this bow bigger and stronger also it will help with directing eye to some parts of the bow
Maybe this?
  • Flame Eagle's Eye
K6zRDi.png
(UPDATED)

And a new shield, first time for me to do shields.

• Templar shield:
TP9Tyq.png

Thoughts please!

Last edited:
Back