• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Start movement with keyboard mini-lag bad coded

andu

Sold 649 scripts, 25 maps and 9 events!
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
olrios
Twitch
olrios
As we know, on every OTS there's a issue with movement. I think it's becouse OTSes have bad coded movement.

Situation: you are standing still and you decide to walk left 20 SQM. You are click and hold left arrow button on your keyboard.

Behavior: your character starts moving left. But how it actually looks like: it moves 1 SQM, then gets 0.1 sec lag and then moves rest 19 SQM normally at max speed.

I see, such behavior is on every known for me OTS engine. That's why OTS players are mostly not holding arrow keys but spam clicking them all the time. Such behavior never existed on Real Tibia. However, RL Tibia had similar problem, but not the same and only on all Windows OS, which be easly solved by increasing TCPAckFrequency, example with "Leatrix Latency Fix".

I think that OTS behavior with movement is becouse of issue in code. I experienced similar problem ~5 years ago when I was making mini platform game with my friend. And then I saw that similar problem have Open Tibia.

Few days ago I met one proffessional game developer and few game testers. One of testers was talking about movement issues in thier new game and it remind me OTS' movement behavior.

So, I'm trying to do a little research. I'd like to know anything you know about this issue. Becouse if we find solution for this, it will be released to everyone.

Solution
This is not related to bad server code.

It is related to your keyboard setting.

Hold in etc A on your keyboard, first it will type A, then after a small delay will begin to repeat A.

You need to lower Repeat delay:
G8BQUd_.jpg

This is less noticable on rl tibia because of generally a lower character level & thus speed.
Well don't know much about source.

But there is 1 more issue what is kinda related to movement.
When you remove/add conditions while player is moving it will wait until player has moved the entire tile.
Maybe the eventStacking has some kind of hickup while player is moving and will move more smoothly later because the movement events are stacked without hickup, because they were spammed.

Another thing, what would be more practical to try is to remove the tile walk duration entirely (talking about the different speeds required to pass the tiles) and extra slowness when moving diagonally.
Idk is it possible to just skip that entire calculation.
But if it is, You can test how walking performs then.

Hold in etc A on your keyboard, first it will type A, then after a small delay will begin to repeat A.

G8BQUd_.jpg

This is less noticable on rl tibia because of generally a lower character level & thus speed.

Last edited:
Solution

Was going to literally post this. :p
I used to change every computer's settings to this, when I played Tibia as a kid/teenager.

G8BQUd_.jpg

It helps a lot, but there is still a minimal lag. For example on custom client (PokeXgames) this issue doesn't exist.

you can edit even faster repeat delay and repeat times with keyboard king
used to use it on ascalon as sort of a "dash" for arrow keys since i didn't have a bot for it

It helps a lot, but there is still a minimal lag. For example on custom client (PokeXgames) this issue doesn't exist.

The original tibia client (up to version 10.98) has an UPS of 30. There is not much we can do about that. OTClient may have a higher UPS/different way of sending movement packets to the server.
Since we dont have the source code of the tibia client, there is not much we can do. Its not a server issue.

The server could perhaps be coded in another way to recognize sticky movement events, but that will pose other problems. Etc on World of Warcraft, if your internet get suddenly disconnected while moving, your character will still move in that direction on the server until it confirms that you are not actually moving by etc identifying that the client host fails to resolve.

The new client 11 should be more responsive, but that client is not yet officially supported.

you can edit even faster repeat delay and repeat times with keyboard king
used to use it on ascalon as sort of a "dash" for arrow keys since i didn't have a bot for it
explain that son

I've used that, all it does is to send keys twice (or more times dunno), not really making you faster. So when you click key Up you go 2 steps up instead of one (but I think there was some secondary key to hold down as well?)

I've used that, all it does is to send keys twice (or more times dunno), not really making you faster. So when you click key Up you go 2 steps up instead of one (but I think there was some secondary key to hold down as well?)
it doesn't "send keys twice", you were probably having the effect of going 2 steps up because of the repeat rate you put
you can set the delay to 10-400ms, and the repeat rate to 0-200kps

Back