• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

STOP MAKING OT's AND JOIN A PROJECT!

GhostX

Mapping Board Moderator
Staff member
Board Moderator
Reaction score
Twitch
ghostxpr0
BEFORE YOU READ REST, READ THIS: This is aimed at NEW servers, so forget your "success" stories in the PAST since

I see so many people like ":O i wanna be gms on my owns servers!!"

Seriously! It takes #@*&ing ages to make a custom RPG server, which alot of you attempt.

RPG servers mainly come from the map. So if you cannot map without making square, buggy maps then forget it!

I look at the advertisment board and the are hundreds of servers, and then look at jobs thread and there are hundreds of team requests but no "applicants".

It seems that the whole OT community wants their own ot and it wont happen.

I hate to break it to you, but the majority of you will fail and give up. (I Know, I've been there!)

Hints: If you want to make an ot players will like, keep it simple, yet busy.

Still i think you new members and/or even incumbent *had to throw it in there :p* members, should join projects and forget making your own, get your name around the community, then when you come to actually wanting to make a server, with your "rep" people will be applying left,right and centre to be a part of a "famous" member's project.

Rant over.

Last edited:
I just read the conclusion and u are really wrong in this part.. you shouldn't be popular and loved by all before creating an ot server even if u are 1 posts, Idc. the only problem is that new members download a datapack and run the server and sometimes they open the server on their home dsl and without a site too.

You don't know what your talking about, maybe you don't can make it to start your own RPG server ;) we atleast trying so, go outsite drink a beer and a sigaret and calm down ;) stop posting shit

I don't agree with the part that people shouldn't make their own ots. People who are new at otland doesn't have to be new at making OTs. What I mostly see in the job threads is people who just make their thread wrong or unclear. For example people who only say they are looking for a good mapper, but who knows what they think is good and if they look for an expert mapper, why would people join if they don't know anything about the person who is making it or the server. Also there are alot people who just think its cool to be gm, with this motivation starting a server or joining a project wouldn't work.
But I agree on the part that it helps getting to know other people on otland. Mostly because people want to know the person who they work with and also will have more chance of succes if the teammembers know eachother.

You don't know what your talking about, maybe you don't can make it to start your own RPG server ;) we atleast trying so, go outsite drink a beer and a sigaret and calm down ;) stop posting shit

Umad?

I disagree with the first post.

Every sucessfull project came from a former small idea, so we never know wich of these small projects around nowadays may one day become a sucess on the future. Its a fact that most projects are actually bullshit, people who download TFS, edit a couple stuff and call it a custom server, but some very particular projects have a huge ammount of work spent on it and are really worthy a try if ever online.

I am myself an example of a small solo unknow project that may grow into something big, I HOPE.

Bah, my first OT project started years ago out of my house. As you described, I didn't even have a site when I first got started. As I got some attention, even just a few players, I quickly made additions to make things easier on my server. It wasn't long before I got a mapper on my team to keep the world dynamic, and then a scripter to keep events dynamic. OT's can grow like that. After only a month or two I had 50+ online all the time in a pretty unique world with unique scripts. Not bad for starting from a datapack on my computer in my bedroom.

I'm going at it from a different angle this time, and who knows maybe times have changed, but the point is sometimes the project can create the team. Not always the other way around.

Whoa maybe i um whats the word, miswrote what i mean,

I mean everyone is making servers and there are few people in projects, i am making an rpg project and have been for a while now,
I'm just stating that new members (as in those who go oh i just found ots, i want to make my own). Those that already have knowledge about ots are free and fine to make servers. I meant what cyro stated about downloading servers and running them.

We need more project members not more projects.

I see way too many real maps that people download and use all scripts of otland in attempt to make money from donations! WRONG REASON TO MAKE A SERVER!

I'm making mine because i want to, i don't care if i lose money making it, i still am not sure whether to even HAVE donations.

I miss the old ot community where servers were made for fun and not for donations.

It seems everyone has been corrupted with money since they found out about donations.

and @up i agree with the EXCEPTIONS but it still does not mean everyone should have a server. Like i said MOST will fail, not all, the ones that don't fail generally are the ones where the owner spends time developing it and not downloading and running it.

And i never said NO one should make a server, i even said HINT: keep it simple~
i'm mainly on about those who go i wanna make a server that has all of these new things, nothing relating to old tibia. And they do this by using scripts released on otland without putting in the effort.

Just 1 thing to say...

If someone downloads an ot from anywhere and just run it straight away... Well, it's his/her problem...
After some time, when he will realize that he actually has to do something with the scripts etc (like adding new maps or quests), he will do it.... OR he might just say "nah, i will just leave this fu*king leave that and ill come back to play ots as i did before...

People learn by their own mistakes :)

@up fair enough but i'm stating that instead of making millions of projects join a project. Get to know how the otcommunity works, understand concepts of ots and then, only then, create your ots.

Well, also people without any knowlegde of OTs can make a good running server. When I made my first server, I didn't know anything about OTs, but I got in less then a week 40+ players. A bit like the story of chmorin, I met a scripter and mapper on my server and they started to work for me. But as I said in my other post, most applications or projects are just based on "I want to be a GM". So these people joining any project wouldn't do the project any good.

About the money thing, I can understand actually. Most servers take alot of time to make and even when its done, people still need to keep the server in a way that it doesn't lose players. On 1 of my old servers I did spend about 3/5 hours each day doing research how to improve the server.

Last edited:
Stop USING PAST. The ot community has changed, in the past there wasn't as many ots. So ofcourse you had +40 players. I remember playing a 1 town rpg/war ots and had like 60 players on. If that was released now, it would even be 10+ players

And glad you reseached. Just seems like half of the ot servers out there are profit aimed and not experience aimed.

How many servers do you log on and when something is wrong there is no staff to help?
The staff need to interact with the players! Don't just run a server and expect the best, fight for it to be the best.

When I did my first server I managed it myself. Fully. A few tutors after some time.
No problems at all. Till I had to deal with dossers, then I stopped doing it myself for a long time. Now I'll never go 100% myself anymore.

Fact is that most people just expect way too much.
People like you, GhostX, expect to get a team somehow immediately. Results in the fact that you lose hope, lose motivation => fail. You're digging your own grave like that.

This thread made me lawl inside.

So your basically saying you gotta be popular and amazing at OT shit to even belong in a project?..

Right....

As Aseki said, people learn out of their mistakes. If people try to make money with a download and run server it'll most of the times not work out. If they just want to be a GM and do a download and run server they'll also most likely fail.
And the mapping is absolutely not the most important. The best OTs I played were high exp ones. A crappy map but usually very good scripting. There were exceptions ofcourse but still...
You're right in some point of view but that's it

Everyone is reading too much into it, i have a scripter all i need @tgyoshi

And @brad, no i mean, get to know how the ots works, and interact with players, don't expect too much from your server if you are going to sit around and hope to "reel" in donations.

AND @luffy

I never once said mapping was most important part. I said it was highly important in RPG servers to give it the RPG feel, Scripting ofcourse is important to.

But square, huge spammed maps are not rpg.

I admit, i used to map like that, until i got used to raw more, and i'm still developing my mapping. People are so quick to judge from reading a few lines of text. Understand the context and you'll see.

Sorry if i mislead any of you.

@GhostX to be honest, I've never liked OT's that had alot of 'fancy scripts that do fancy things', as you said the old ot's where good. I only played those with either low exp or extreme high exp depending on whether I felt like pwning noobs or just plain ol' rpg. Maps are one of the most important parts in a low exp server as for high exp, all it really matters is the amount of spawn, the spawn atk/def/spells (to make sure they arn't OP) and the atk/def/spells of the vocation of a player to make sure it's all balanced. That's what RPG's need, not fancy or alot of quests left or right but balance between all. I had opened a few servers back in 8.2 was it? 8.6? I can't remember but the maps were simple, yeah I downloaded, edited abit and called it custom but see, I had 50+ players on the 3thrd day of opening because there was nothing that was OP, and I worked alone 100% of the time. Not once did I get DDOSED, most likely because I hated donation items and what not and I was constantly in the game with the community. Sometimes even playing abit myself to make sure it was all good! But you know, people still look for fun, it's just that people now make servers that are too unbalanced for their taste.

I have to agree with Luffy and Limos. :/

The bottom line is that the people with a vision and a long term goal will make good OT servers. People with a short term goal and just personal wants (like GM) will fail. There will always be more of the latter than the former.

The sucess of a project depends solely on the design capacity of its main developer, planning, job coordination and a trustable team. That creates quality, and quality attracts players. If one say that 90% likes to play real map servers, create something to attract these players aswell, there is never a limit to creativity, you cant use that as an excuse.

A definite awnser would be: the sucess depends on your efforts.

Back