• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Stop using mods!

Evan

A splendid one to behold
Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Recently, I've been seeing a lot of people having issues with mod-related scripts.
To all OpenTibia developers out there that use mods, I've got news for you.

Mods are the essence of all impending doom

Mods have absolutely 0 benefits, actually, they have more negative impacts than positive.

Why not use mods:
  • Code structure/style is ugly
  • Uses more computer resources
  • Blurts out unecessary amounts of error detail
  • Definition of complete laziness
  • Really, mods just suck

Why use mods:
  • <crickets>

Is it possible to convert mods to normal scripts?
Of freaking course! Mods are generally a bundle of multiple script events packed into 1 file.
Just sort them out into their own files in their respective event folders (action, creaturescript, globalevent, ect).

//End of rant.

Totally agree,
Also newer tfs version won't be using it anymore ^^

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Well, still this should be out there for anyone using older TFS.

I dont use it because the structure is the shit, i love the old way to do scripts. xd

Why use mods:
There are benefits.
>You can keep script systems together in one file. eg. you can put all of scripts for inq into one file. Its nice for organize and debugging because there is only one file to look at.
>You can keep your scripts separate from the data pack. you can put almost everything in a mod except for the map. when the TFS engine is updated it requires less work to dump in your mod folder and map.

note: Im neutral to mods.

Are you trying to create new relligion or what?

- Code structure/style is same, but you'd better build scripts in lua files before melting it to mod, because error handler sucks
- I agree here - overriding costs memory sometimes
- I agree here too, but it's actually creators laziness
- definition of what?
XML:
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <mod name="Guarded Portal" version="1.0" - Pastebin.com[/url]
- actually only reason I'll miss mods in 1.0 is that you may update your items.xml and keep your customs:
[code=xml]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mod name="Server items" version="1.0" author="Zbizu" contact="[email protected]" enabled="yes">
<!-- Mod created to save custom server items in case of items XML update -->
	<item id="1409" article="a" name="trading tile" override="yes"/>
	<item id="2184" article="a" name="crystal rod" override="yes">
		<attribute key="description" value="Surges of energy rush through the tip of this wand."/>
		<attribute key="weight" value="1900"/>
		<attribute key="weaponType" value="rod"/>
		<attribute key="shootType" value="energy"/>
		<attribute key="range" value="4"/>
	</item>
	<wand id="2184" level="37" mana="13" min="55" max="75" type="energy" event="function" value="default">
        <vocation id="2"/>
    </wand>
	<item id="12648" article="a" name="divine wand" override="yes">
		<attribute key="weight" value="12000"/>
		<attribute key="weaponType" value="wand"/>
		<attribute key="shootType" value="holy"/>
		<attribute key="range" value="5"/>
	</item>
	<wand id="12648" level="150" mana="25" min="100" max="250" type="holy" event="function" value="default">
        <vocation id="1"/>
		<vocation id="2"/>
    </wand>
</mod>

Why use mods:
  • server items
  • complex systems
  • to make evan hate you

Evan, you just can't tell people what to do. Everyone who will switch to newer protocols will be forced to convert his mods to separate files, so I see no point in this thread.

My opinion - for complex systems dont use LUA. Any scripts have a perfomance limitations. Better way here - use C++/C# for complex systems. Lua - only scripts and nothing more - keep it in mind. Dont like a mods "code style"? You always free to re-write mods code to something else. Yeah you can make something how you want, but optimization and other things... (I can make World of Warcraft on Haskell but my life is short :D )
Lua are good for small enchancements of game mechanics but not for global systems, complex systems, serious code.

@up then teach me c++
:3, i would love to i can already do average spriting,mapping,lua now only c++

My opinion - for complex systems dont use LUA. Any scripts have a perfomance limitations. Better way here - use C++/C# for complex systems. Lua - only scripts and nothing more - keep it in mind. Dont like a mods "code style"? You always free to re-write mods code to something else. Yeah you can make something how you want, but optimization and other things... (I can make World of Warcraft on Haskell but my life is short :D )
Lua are good for small enchancements of game mechanics but not for global systems, complex systems, serious code.

Half true, half false. Lua can handle even complex systems but is less efficient. I.e. first hotc queue and fight system was made in lua (about 2k lines) and now it's converted to c++. To be honest there is NO DIFFERENCE except for memory usage (about 30% less) and size (much less, can't tell how much, because it's split between files).

Anyways mods have their pros and cons. They can become handy for sure, but making everything in mods has no point. IMO they shouldn't have removed them.

I assume Evan had a problem debugging a MOD file, so he's pretty pissed and wants everyone to stop using them... I totally agree, they've a really terrible mechanism for debugging (actually, it doesn't have one at all).
I remember last time I used one, it crashed the server for a syntax error.

Why use mods:
  • <crickets>
Agreed, there are absolutely no benefits gained.

>You can keep script systems together in one file. eg. you can put all of scripts for inq into one file. Its nice for organize and debugging because there is only one file to look at.
False, You missed the point of organized here, organized is when one does each thing in it's respective place, not make the file look like spaghetti.

FC_Therefore_41757_md.gif
Mods have no benefits to use, they neither give you extra functionality, nor hurt your dog, or even your math teacher.

Mods have no benefits to use, they neither give you extra functionality, nor hurt your dog, or even your math teacher.

They have one: newbies can copy&paste premade scripts with one click. :p And to be honest I've never used mods myself.

Half true, half false. Lua can handle even complex systems but is less efficient. I.e. first hotc queue and fight system was made in lua (about 2k lines) and now it's converted to c++. To be honest there is NO DIFFERENCE except for memory usage (about 30% less) and size (much less, can't tell how much, because it's split between files).
~ agree. But generally, i am dont use TFS. But i am use mods in my server. And that totally in C++ with LUA enchacements... Like callbacks, params and etc.
If interesting, pic here.

Back