• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Studying the forgotten server and OTClient's Sources

Nephyon

Reaction score
Hello guys,

So about 3 months ago, I was playing one of those really well made Open Tibia Server, and motivated by the passion of Open Tibia scene, I started to study C++ to be able to understand the sources of TFS and OTC. Many years ago, I was trying to run my own server just for fun with my friends, but I didn't really understand what was happening and why I should do this or that. I only copied the scripts from OTLand to my server, I have never understood it.

So I just finished two books of C++ and now I am being able to understand the syntax of it, but when i opened the sources of TFS, it was really hard to me to understand it. First of all, I didn't know which file I should start with. There aren't a lots of comments too and when i opened a random file it had a hundreds of references to other files.

So, Could you guys point what is the best way to study TFS and OTC sources or another open project (since, I think the method should be similar, after all, they are code created by other people shared for everyone, including you)? Where, How and What way should i start?

Regards,
Nephyon.

To understand TFS itself you have to first understand Tibia and how it works, then you will understand the game server structure.
I cannot really say much about OTClient as I'm not an expert with it, but I can pretty much tell you have to understand video game structure, graphics, OpenGL and all that stuff

I have read a couple things about game structure, the OpenGL api and communication between client and server, but if you have any study material to point or pass to me, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Nephyon.

hmm, for me i learned to make my own scripts and systems by trying to make simple stuff in the starts and then moving to more advanced scripts, i did not read books, so maybe u need to try creating ur own stuff and not just reading about it, thats my advice XD
and by time i could make more and more advanced scripts, and eventually i started messing around in c++ also
and by now i have made some very nice systems, and i can prety much add whatever i think of into the game

try to understand all lua scripts
then luascript.cpp/h, creature/monster/player.cpp, game.cpp, protocolgame.cpp
and then you'd probably know what to do next

OTC start with protocol files
try to choose some features and follow them into sources and Lua
cant give you much clues about otc, i'm not experienced on that but i'd not bother about graphic stuff

Back