• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion to better accommodate new people asking for advice

Bahaha

Reaction score
WOW unrelated title. I hit the wrong button somewhere ;)
"Suggestion to better accommodate new people asking for advice"

I understand it is frustrating, but I feel it is also this sites fault. We should put some effort into making an official resource page for new people looking to compile a server. It would only have to be very basic:

How to set up a MYSQL server (already exists)
How to set up a server + config (already exists)
How to connect with the client (already exists)

We should understand that a lot of people who are new to this are young and stupid or naive. If we had a simple and easy to find spot which listed this information I think we could save a lot of hassle as well as grow the community. This information is on the boards now, but it is not very intuitive to find. I feel like we should have a whole forum subsection directly under "news" entitled "3 simple guides to start your own OT." Doing this, we could remove every problem associated with this from the boards and leave it in there.

The forum set-up does not have to be set in stone guys, the community is always changing and it is worth looking at ways to improve it. If we want the community to survive and strive we have to accomodate new people.

Steps to finding out how to get information:
1) Click search bar
2) Type in required info
3) ???
4) Profit!

OR

1) Goto google
2) Type in what you are looking for
3) ???
4) Profit!

It's as easy as that. :)

The most basic tutorials already exist, an awesome one made by Znote(can be found here) and they are simple enough that my 12 year old brother can do it(I'll do the test if you want), if people can't follow those tutorials or can't make it work then they don't even deserve to have a server, that might seem harsh, but we have way too many D&R Servers and too many wannabe admins here and I'd do whatever I can to help minimize the "noob servers"

The most basic tutorials already exist, an awesome one made by Znote(can be found here) and they are simple enough that my 12 year old brother can do it(I'll do the test if you want), if people can't follow those tutorials or can't make it work then they don't even deserve to have a server, that might seem harsh, but we have way too many D&R Servers and too many wannabe admins here and I'd do whatever I can to help minimize the "noob servers"

I agree but apparently the noobs that come on here for server help/info don't know what section descriptions or the search bar are... :/

I agree but apparently the noobs that come on here for server help/info don't know what section descriptions or the search bar are... :/

Which is exactly why I made this post. If you simply make these basic tutorials more visible it will reduce the amount of people asking. Why dont we link to one of these guides in the support section at least?

Keep in mind every person here made a "noob server" to start. If ryoshin and the others had your attitude nobody would be looking here right now because this site wouldnt exist.

Which is exactly why I made this post. If you simply make these basic tutorials more visible it will reduce the amount of people asking. Why dont we link to one of these guides in the support section at least?

Keep in mind every person here made a "noob server" to start. If ryoshin and the others had your attitude nobody would be looking here right now because this site wouldnt exist.

You wouldn't know that unless it happened now would you? But you see they have sections, there is no need for a intro tutorial it's pointless because they will most likely just skip it anyways.

There's a tutorials section, people should be smart enough to click where it says Tutorials and check the Basic ones
Doing it any easier is unnecessary...

Yes, but before they see "tutorials" they see support.

support does nothing to help them and I guarantee 90% of them go to support.

That's why they should learn to look where to go before thinking of support. People don't look for tutorials, they look for other people to pity them and do the work for them for free. If the problem was more dire like a code needing to be fixxed then I could understand but if it's like "Halp me pl0x my tfs is bugg0rdz fix me now men!" then it's just pointless.

So basically you want to setup your own server with a help of dedicated person for your majesty without paying a cent?

Funny guy.

So basically you want to setup your own server with a help of dedicated person for your majesty without paying a cent?

Funny guy.

Don't know where that came from but that's how alot of the people who go to support do. They ask people to do compiling or give them scripts or even ask where to get stuff when the section is right below it and there are certain things (like the compiling or making new scripts) that people actually can make money off of instead of giving it to a noob for free. Maybe we should make new rules that have to state for if you want to make a thread make sure it's a legitimate question and before even attempting looking in other sections before making it?

Someone made a thread on spoonfeeding and I agreed with it dearly, people should be able to find things on their own.
We've all been through it, even I did. The forum cannot get any easier to understand than it is now.

Developing an OpenTibia server is not something easy at first hand, it's not something to fully learn overnight either.
It's so sad that even to this day that people are struggling THIS bad.

I remember back during the OTFans days, you actually had to learn C++ to run your own server.
You had to write your own scripts and design your map square by square. Back then, people ACTUALLY had to learn how to do things without basic tutorials.

Someone made a thread on spoonfeeding and I agreed with it dearly, people should be able to find things on their own.
We've all been through it, even I did. The forum cannot get any easier to understand than it is now.

Developing an OpenTibia server is not something easy at first hand, it's not something to fully learn overnight either.
It's so sad that even to this day that people are struggling THIS bad.

I remember back during the OTFans days, you actually had to learn C++ to run your own server.
You had to write your own scripts and design your map square by square. Back then, people ACTUALLY had to learn how to do things without basic tutorials.

This is inaccurate. The servers back then were dreadfully simple, no C knowledge required unless you wanted to edit something. If you wanted a server back then you would download the files, change ip in the config and run, and it would work without hassle. There were plenty of click and run servers then, and there were many before, as there are now. The difference now is that you have to set up an SQL server and the method of getting clients to connect has changed numerous times since then, adding to complications that beginners experience.

Sure, you had to draw out your spell visuals with 0 and 1,s individually. Sure, basically everything was hardcoded with no LUA or XML support, but the thing was that nobody really needed to compile because all you could do was walk around and attack and use a few skills anyway. Now I would argue knowing C++ is not an issue, as everything is already implemented, any idiot can edit values.

My point is that the forums here are set up in a way that although it makes sense on the surface, it is also misleading to beginners. Keep in mind I have a server running, I dont care for hosting servers and changing this does not benefit me at all. I am not an entitled dick, but I see the ignorance of your spam posts whining about beginners. You can sit here complaining all the time, doing nothing, or you can make a god damn effort to fix the issue.

We know you know what to do and how the forums work, but it can be overwhelming to beginners and they miss things. A centralized source of information and support would work than what is here, in my opinion. If you stopped circle jerking and removed your "with us or against us" attitude, you may see that even if you or I are not entirely right, the system we have clearly isnt perfect.
------------------
I dont think you should help every idiot with a problem, but at least make a system that makes it easier for them to solve their own problems.

If you want to make something begginer-friendly, here is the right place to do it. There are a few articles which try to explain it but if you believe they're still too advanced you can always write a new one and I will put them there. If there's enough appropriate content for newbies, we may advertise this part of Otland better on the boards to direct more newbies to these tutorials.

WOW unrelated title. I hit the wrong button somewhere ;)
"Suggestion to better accommodate new people asking for advice"

I understand it is frustrating, but I feel it is also this sites fault. We should put some effort into making an official resource page for new people looking to compile a server. It would only have to be very basic:

How to set up a MYSQL server (already exists)
How to set up a server + config (already exists)
How to connect with the client (already exists)

We should understand that a lot of people who are new to this are young and stupid or naive. If we had a simple and easy to find spot which listed this information I think we could save a lot of hassle as well as grow the community. This information is on the boards now, but it is not very intuitive to find. I feel like we should have a whole forum subsection directly under "news" entitled "3 simple guides to start your own OT." Doing this, we could remove every problem associated with this from the boards and leave it in there.

The forum set-up does not have to be set in stone guys, the community is always changing and it is worth looking at ways to improve it. If we want the community to survive and strive we have to accomodate new people.

If otland had downvotes this thread would have a lot.

If otland had downvotes this thread would have a lot.

It certainly would. But you guys are happy reading the multitudes of ridiculous help threads, so I guess there's no problem in not addressing the root of many.

Nobody has the power to change how others act on this forum to stop them from asking questions, but a different design can limit it. Why I am getting so much flak for this obvious notion is concerning, but also amusing.

Last edited:
Could be more begginer-friendly, true, and It wouldn't take that much effort tbh.

Sorry to bump this old thread but... since I used your great and wonderful search bar and it brought me here i figured I might as well put my 2 cents in..
If it had not been for otfans when i first started i would never have stuck around .. since there you could find alot of help .. here the community feeling is lacking i'm afraid .. and as for the search you ask i searched for " How do I make a GM character without running a server?" which brought me here.. makes no since really. How ever hopefully otfans will be what it once was in the near future. Here's one guy that is looking up at the stars and hoping anyway. Good day.

Back