• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The best OS?

It depence what you are doing, but in my case I would choose Mac OSX, which is good in my opinion.

Linux is good as well, but if you were stuck like me with windows for a long time it's hard to change.

Every OS is somehow usable in their own way. I was using Windows XP for a quite long time, then I switched to Ubuntu and found it very interesting, however I still love XP. There are no better and worse systems, there are just systems that may do the specific job better than others. For example for desktop I prefer Ubuntu or XP (because there are more games for it), for hosting I would choose some unix because its FREE (why should I pay for something I don't need?) - for example Debian because its not overloaded and has all features I need to host a server (and - any others I can install by few keyboard hits). I'm not saying that you all should choose Debian for hosting purposes, BUT you should at least give it a chance. However I never tried many OSes listed by @stian, that might be also interesting.

About Vista & 7.
I had never an occasion to try it, and I'm wondering.. is there something really soooo COOL that so many of you uses it? (Except user-interface changes, please!)

It was a alot of "In my opinion" answeres, I really miss that anyone except the admins, Elf, and a few others (slawkens just made it into the list) want to write a reason WHY they think so.

Windows 2003 and Windows 7.
No matter what you linux users say, I'll always love windows.
I've never had any kind of trouble when it comes to it.

Reasons : (Some of them are personal)

-Most of my college applications were designed for windows and WILL NOT work on linux (Already tried using wine).
-User friendly, I'm kinda lazy and well, don't wanna waste my time installing stuff.
-Stability (If you're not a dumbass and know how to configure some stuff that WILL make your server unstable).
-When it comes to remote connections, windows has more options without installing any kind of stuff (Yeah right, putty takes less than 1mb, but at least from college, I'm not allowed to download stuff.

Suits me perfectly.

Well, these are some reasons why I prefer windows over linux.
Do not yell stuff at me if you really want me to use linux do not tell me reasons why I should do it, come to my country and gimme a full course.
Just my cents.

- Stability, you do realize that Windows is the most unstable OS there is? No matter what you say, this argument can only be invalidated by statestics.

"don't wanna waste my time installing stuff.", me neither. We can take the time on how long it takes to install firefox. You open IE, google or go to mozilla, download, click on it, next next next. Me: pacman -S firefox. And take the package system to upgrade, lets say 5 programs are old, we'll see how use the least time to upgrade the system. And not forget that it seems like everything require a reboot on Windows. You even change the kernel on Linux without the need to run the entier POST step.

Once you get the hang of it.
I'd have to configure loads of ipv4 stuff.
Learn how to compile properly (Most tutorials won't work on some linux distros).

But I'd like the full course, you comin'? :]

Sure, Install Fedora core, comes with a great simple command line firewall system and SELinux by default.

The steps to compile are the same, you just got to install diffrent packages (rather easy on archlinux etc, "pacman -S boost mysql crypto++ gcc automake" is enough here).

Depends on what you want.

Gaming? Windows Vista or Windows 7
General word processing, web surfing, etc? Linux, preferably Ubuntu
Software development? Linux
Web Hosting? NetBSD or FreeBSD, though it is hard to find web hosts offering VPSes or dedicated computers with those. Linux is pretty good here, too.

If you want windows use win7. Ubuntu is probably better but its way more complicated.

Taste, Windows have always been over complex. I can't understand how people can waste their time using it. You might feel it diffrently tho.

Back