• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The best OS?

Realown

Hoster
Reaction score
Which OS is the best?

Windows XP?
Windows 7?
Vista?

Give me somes OS please!

Well, can't complain about the speed and size of MenuetOS. But I believe Solaris got the the best base of all OSes, soon to follow is FreeBSD and OpenBSD, followed up closely by Linux 2.6 and 2.4, then I put Mac OSX (Darwin based) and a few steps down we find Windows XP, then Win2000, then Windows Server 2008, then Windows 7.

This is more or less general, you got to spesify a use.

If you ahve any knowledge about the internal structure of a Operativssytem, then you wouldn't say that Windows 7 is best in anything at all.

OpenBSD is best at security (used by Pentagon etc), Solaris is best at modularity and speed, FreeBSD got superior network (a reason it's one of the favorite choices on firewalls), Linux is overall best at new technology and driver support, yes, even better then Windows... And got a supperior look.

Mac is just plain diffrent. It isn't supperior in any field, but it looks nice, got good software support, and overall good performance and stability.

MenuetOS is supperior when it comes to size, overall good performance too.

Windows well, because of illigal marketing they have managed to get the dominant share of the destkop market (Atleast 80%) and a significant piece of the server market (10-15%), because of the amount of Desktop users, most software is developed towarns this platform. Altho most serious buisnesses looks at Mac and Linux do to WAY better stability and performance.

If you ahve any knowledge about the internal structure of a Operativssytem, then you wouldn't say that Windows 7 is best in anything at all.

OpenBSD is best at security (used by Pentagon etc), Solaris is best at modularity and speed, FreeBSD got superior network (a reason it's one of the favorite choices on firewalls), Linux is overall best at new technology and driver support, yes, even better then Windows... And got a supperior look.

Mac is just plain diffrent. It isn't supperior in any field, but it looks nice, got good software support, and overall good performance and stability.

MenuetOS is supperior when it comes to size, overall good performance too.

Windows well, because of illigal marketing they have managed to get the dominant share of the destkop market (Atleast 80%) and a significant piece of the server market (10-15%), because of the amount of Desktop users, most software is developed towarns this platform. Altho most serious buisnesses looks at Mac and Linux do to WAY better stability and performance.

Actually, I don't know sh*t about Operating systems...

In case of windows imo. XP is the best, i can't write anything about Linux related system cuz im newb at this os :s

For which The purposes you want to use the system ?
*Sorry for my English because I'm from Poland.

In my opinion the system is best Windows XP. Linux more i am useful to servers than for the use.

How the heck can you blame the OS for not having your games? Blame the producers, the OpenGL performance is way higher on Linux then on Windows, and therefore games will perform better on Linux then on Windows.

By that, Linux is better for gaming then Windows.

How the heck can you blame the OS for not having your games? Blame the producers, the OpenGL performance is way higher on Linux then on Windows, and therefore games will perform better on Linux then on Windows.

By that, Linux is better for gaming then Windows.

Yes and No.

Parts of linux make it better than Windows for gaming but the fact remains that OpenGL a lot more CPU cycles for most games. Examples of this would be the difference in performance between running WoW on MAC (obviously uses openGL) and WoW on Windows. If the OpenGL engine is improved more and developers start to optimize their OpenGL engines more instead of simply translating their DX games to OpenGL, then I can see an argument that Linux would be overall better for gaming. But as it stands right now, Windows is superior in the gaming world. Developers have been a little more explorative into the world of mac and linux for games but who knows what will happen.

P.S
You get a higher frame rate on tibia with Windows / DX but the game runs much better on Linux / OpenGL (but with a higher cpu usage). The networking stacks on Windows sucks balls compared to that of Linux... It all comes down to compatibility / usability in the end.

P.S
You get a higher frame rate on tibia with Windows / DX but the game runs much better on Linux / OpenGL (but with a higher cpu usage).
  • Tibia Client's DX(9) mode is (optimized) for Windows
  • OpenGL mode works better on Linux
  • Cip's implementation of OpenGL is bad

And if you're going to get higher framerates, who cares about CPU usage. Just play it in fullscreen and forget about background applications, as if it were a normal game.

OpenGL is far supperior then DirectX in performance, actually over 200% in many many cases. There doesn't exist ONE 3D render or CAD for professional usage that are made for DirectX (Maya, blender, 3ds max, civil 3d etc). Look at the Quake games, or the doom serie etc. They are made in OpenGL, and Doom 3 was the game with best grahics in 2003 (got good competition from Far Cry tho).

One funny fact is that Wine remade the directx engine with a OpenGL renderer (directX api calles call opengl calles) and games like WoW run BETTER on Linux in WINE then on native Windows.

Also, from a developer point of view I find OpenGL much easier to work with then DirectX.

Back