• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The Tavern of Kaspar's Amateur Sprites

Kaspar

Unprejudiced
Staff member
Global Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
Art is not my thing. I've never tried to learn creating sprites before, but today I was bored so I thought: why not?
I'll probably upload more sprites whenever I'm bored again. But here you go, my first own sprite ever.​

1.kaspar_emerald_sword0.png
a split-blade sword made of emerald with a leather grip

Oh and if anyone would like to use my sprites for their project, feel free to do so.
Cheers!
1.kaspar_emerald_sword0.png
a split-blade sword made of emerald with a leather grip

2. kaspar_wooden_axe1.png
a two-handed axe with a wooden handle

3.kaspar_flower_hammer.png
a flower staff inspired by thunder hammer

4.kaspar_royal_sword1.png
a royal sword made of gold handles and a minotaur leather grip with an enduring iron blade

Last edited:
Not bad for a first sprite, it looks quite decent. I'd love to see more of your works.

I have no idea how to create a good color palette, but here's another attempt of creating a sprite.

2.kaspar_wooden_axe1.png
a two-handed axe with a wooden handle

Also, if you're willing to help/give tips -- I'd really appreciate it!

Not quite sure about this one...

3.kaspar_flower_hammer.png
a flower staff inspired by thunder hammer

I'm not really a good teacher, but you should definitely learn what aa is (anti aliasing). I also recommend looking at other people sprites from up close and see for yourself how it is done, it can help a lot.
About the axe, you should avoid using the pillow-shading. First think about what shape you want to create then apply the shades and lights accordingly.
I won't say much about the staff. It's simple - and I love it, but there are definitely things that could be done better (pillow-shading again).

Thank you! I really like your sprites, perhaps I can zoom in on them and see how you've done it.

Trying to learn shading a bit better for a less "pillow" texture look, and more of a shiny metal one.

4.kaspar_royal_sword1.png
a royal sword made of gold handles and a minotaur leather grip with an enduring iron blade

Wow, this isnt bad Kaspar! actually pretty fucking good if i may say so.
I feel like I have no idea what I am doing, but right now I am looking at other people's works and trying to use their palettes to improve my shading.
My latest sword is created with the palette that Anevis used for his sword that looks like this: sword12.pngAnevis' sword
I feel like it's a good learning process and hopefully I'll be able to create something as nice as his sword, without looking at other people's sprites as inspiration.

Last edited:
So I decided to try to make a sprite without looking at any picture and with my own color palette.
I made it from scratch but I feel like my shading is a big issue since it made the sword look a bit distorted, but I think I am in a good way.

5.kaspar_imperial_twohanded_sword1.png
a jagged two-handed imperial sword with its blade made from pure mythril
Edit: updated the sword

Last edited:
I can't edit my first post for some reason so all sprites won't be gathered in the first post. Anyhow I think I'm done with spriting for now, I have no idea how to make my shading better and everything I try just doesn't work.

6.kaspar_imperial_dagger0.png
an imperial dagger with a strong iron blade and copper handles

Last edited:
Thanks! I learned about anti-aliasing, but shading properly is still feeling a bit vague to me. I know using contrasts is a good thing, but I just don't know sometimes where to put dark colors and bright colors. Like how do you achieve different types of textures such as wood, metal and fur with confidence?

Like how do you achieve different types of textures such as wood, metal and fur with confidence?

Each material has it's own contrast, texture and features. You'll learn with time through observation and practice! ;)

Is there like some ultimate guide that shows exactly how the pixels should be placed and what contrast they should be if you want to create ___ type of texture?

Back