• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

TheImaginedServer & TheImaginedClient (custom TFS and Client) - Updated 1/16/2015

So, my idea:
Map changes. As you know, Map class - is Singleton class (C++) and all game world based on this (CreateTile, PlaceCreature, and etc etc etc.) But that system is wrong. RL Tibia have a non-singleton map class, and CipSoft servers can create instanced maps for dedicated user/group for quests, events, something else. Yep, here alot of work should be done, and re-write TFS for it - very hard task. But all of that possible to make, and can provide the great features in future.
Features:
1) Possible to create map instances.
a) for quests & dungeons & "scene" - locations for player or paty.
b) for procedure-generated maps with Random.Seed
c) something else?
2) Multiple worlds(maps) support in one server. (allow usage a 2-3-10-1000 otbm files for one server)

Maybe for first look - number of features not great, but, i think all of that can be useful in many variable ways. Possible way to create that - re-write Singleton class, re-write all functions with new params like that:
Tile* Map::getTile(int32_t x, int32_t y, int32_t z)
Tile* Map::getTile(int32_t mapID, int32_t x, int32_t y, int32_t z)
Make World.otbm (from config.lua) as MapID = 1 (them sould be defined by default) and do other things.
So, what do you think about that idea? =)

So, my idea:
Map changes. As you know, Map class - is Singleton class (C++) and all game world based on this (CreateTile, PlaceCreature, and etc etc etc.) But that system is wrong. RL Tibia have a non-singleton map class, and CipSoft servers can create instanced maps for dedicated user/group for quests, events, something else. Yep, here alot of work should be done, and re-write TFS for it - very hard task. But all of that possible to make, and can provide the great features in future.
Features:
1) Possible to create map instances.
a) for quests & dungeons & "scene" - locations for player or paty.
b) for procedure-generated maps with Random.Seed
c) something else?
2) Multiple worlds(maps) support in one server. (allow usage a 2-3-10-1000 otbm files for one server)

Maybe for first look - number of features not great, but, i think all of that can be useful in many variable ways. Possible way to create that - re-write Singleton class, re-write all functions with new params like that:
Tile* Map::getTile(int32_t x, int32_t y, int32_t z)
Tile* Map::getTile(int32_t mapID, int32_t x, int32_t y, int32_t z)
Make World.otbm (from config.lua) as MapID = 1 (them sould be defined by default) and do other things.
So, what do you think about that idea? =)

I would say that Tibias biggest advantage/feature is the fact it is a single map that all players play on, and can all access at the same time.

Myself, I hate the concept of instances, but I can see how it could be useful for other people.

But that being said, I'm looking into how to generate random maps (dungeon crawler style) so they wouldn't be so plain.

We could also make 'more floors' per map, but that would also require the map editor you use to be editted as well.

You can make suedo instances right now, just by not allowing other people to enter an area if another player is in the area (think Svargrond arena), or making doors/teleports only allow people in a party to enter (and others outside that party can't go in once the first party is in..)

It would be a lot of work to make instances, and I'm not saying it doesn't have its uses, but I could see this going on the bottom of the list on this to get done mostly due to the amount of time to work on it.

For it to work though, I think you'd have a list of a maps you'd use in the config, set up like this:

instance 1= example.otbm - regular pvp server
instance 2= example2.otbm - special cut-scene events
instance 3= example.otbm - same as instance 1, but for a non-pvp world
instance 4= example3.otbm - special cut-scenes for non-pvp world

and when the server 'draws' the map on start up, it would have to add another plain (which would be map/instance), so none of the maps over write each other, despite being on the same cords..

cords would also be set up as: x=1000, y=1000, z=7, instance= 1

and you could just set up teleports, movevents, creaturescripts, or whatever, to move players between the instances.

If you'd want to run more than one gametype on a server at the same time, the account manager would have to add an option to pick which gameworld they would want to make the account for..
example:
Account Manager "What gameworld would you like to make your character on? pvp, non-pvp, pvp-e, or war?"

the pvp server, non-pvp, and pvp-e would all be 'the same server' but with a different instance, and different gametype, but the war server would be a completely different server all together.

it could be done, and the more I am thinking about it, the more I see that it could be done, but it would pretty much be a complete overall of protocalgame.cpp, and map.cpp, plus with how monsters spawn and such as well. and checking it for bugs would take a long while.

But.. I think it could be done..

Last edited:
To me, Instances is very Anti-Tibia and Anti-MMO personally I would never add this system into my version of TFS.

Instances is very Anti-Tibia and Anti-MMO
Maybe, but not agree about anti-mmo. For example, can you release Dungeons & Dragons multi-world system with one map without different worlds instances? =)

Known planes of Existence:
alumni_planes1.jpg

So, that is Multiworld system. In RPG system, you can calling them instances, becouse each of that planes is different, with different world rules, creatures and etc. Can you reliase all of that, with one map, with limitations to 65535 x 65535?

So, if following basic RPG concepts & Instance usage. It can be used for in-game cutscenes based on scripted creatures, and it should be seems like "video" but that is game =) Impossible to create that without instances. Or you will capture videos in game, (in special map zone for example) and insert that videos to client, and calling them, by Lua Function - doSendVideoToPlayer(cid, video) (+ make protocol code for that )- hehe.

My imho - instances is very useful in RPG genre (and many games use that, and D&D worlds = instances in one universe) Yeah, we had alot of bad examples of instance usages... But gamedev have alot of nice examples of instances too. One united gameworld is good... But technically - no ways to release alot of features without instance support.
Here the another thing about that idea... Instanced - no needed if you create "tibia mod", but if you use all of that as content base for create you own story... maybe.

Kind regards.

To me, Instances is very Anti-Tibia and Anti-MMO personally I would never add this system into my version of TFS.
How come its Anti-Tibia if even official Tibia uses that? =P Having a possibily of creating own map instance for specific player/s is a great feature, there are hundreds of places where I would have used that, to avoid players confrontation. Thats just too much work, doubt its worth the price.

Since when does official Tibia use instances? last time I checked every single land mass was located on one map. Even the boss zones have a 6 minute time limit and only 1 player can do them at a time. There is no place you can go that I know of that would take you off the gameworld and put you on your own private server.

I will say I have thought of ideas like "What if I could do instanced quests or dungeons" but, in tibia this always ends up basically giving players "private hunting areas" and yes you can limit this with time constraints, but to me, that isn't what tibia is about. It is taking away from what makes tibia great.

One large persistant world, Want to find your friend? exiva "person" and you will always be able to locate them, it won't say "They are not in your instance, but they are online!"

Maybe, but not agree about anti-mmo. For example, can you release Dungeons & Dragons multi-world system with one map without different worlds instances? =)

alumni_planes1.jpg

So, that is Multiworld system. In RPG system, you can calling them instances, becouse each of that planes is different, with different world rules, creatures and etc. Can you reliase all of that, with one map, with limitations to 65535 x 65535?

So, if following basic RPG concepts & Instance usage. It can be used for in-game cutscenes based on scripted creatures, and it should be seems like "video" but that is game =) Impossible to create that without instances. Or you will capture videos in game, (in special map zone for example) and insert that videos to client, and calling them, by Lua Function - doSendVideoToPlayer(cid, video) (+ make protocol code for that )- hehe.

My imho - instances is very useful in RPG genre (and many games use that, and D&D worlds = instances in one universe) Yeah, we had alot of bad examples of instance usages... But gamedev have alot of nice examples of instances too. One united gameworld is good... But technically - no ways to release alot of features without instance support.
Here the another thing about that idea... Instanced - no needed if you create "tibia mod", but if you use all of that as content base for create you own story... maybe.

Kind regards.

I didn't say "It is not done in other MMOs", it is just my personal preference and I avoid instance-based MMOs. It completely kills the community. Because you can no longer have rivals, or see the same people every day, usually people don't even TALK to each other on instance based MMOs because most likely, they will never see each other again.

Seems like you are avoiding all MMOs, since every single one I've play with the exception of tibia(If you can call it MMO) have Instance.

You say, no one not talk on MMOs instances? Flatlander, if you don't communicate on boss rooms you are doom on most good MMOs, you gotta have a good communication Healer/Tank to take those aggros and Adds (Adds - When it comes to MMORPGs, adds are mobs that attack you on top of the Boss you already had attacking you)or for your DPS to call for help. If you never experience that with your own team then you don't have the rights to call it bad even if its just your opinion :/, How can you have an opinion on something you haven't even tried.

Kill tibia because of this? so you rather throw all players to clear a dungeon*(PoI) if you can call any of those in tibia, just cuz you don't like the idea? IMO its way better for players to form their own group and clear a dungeon. or tat about Cut-seens IMO its just a wonderful idea.

*Instead of letting different groups of players clear the dungeon at the same time with different groups. If you ask me this will latter just become a way of income for stronger players, or simply forget about it after some time, cuz they already clear it. but if you do it like on MMOs instance based and make the final boss fun then you can have players going over and over and over, instead in like tibia just to go hunt 1 kind of monster to lvl up.

THIS IS JUST IMO you are the one doing work so UP to you :) (Sorry for the the thing about YOUR OPINION don't take it personal :D)

Because you can no longer have rivals, or see the same people every day, usually people don't even TALK to each other on instance based MMOs because most likely, they will never see each other again.

Yeah, i am hate that too, but, for example, take EvE Online. Yeah, that is not tile based mmo, but they have instances. Each solar system = instance. EvE map based on some abstract place, and each "solar system", "constellation", "region" - have a ID, and based on map by posX, posY. Each solar system and etc. have a their own x;y;z(inside) . And all of that connected by Jumpgates. (movePlayer(systemID, posX, posY, posZ))
Example of Instanced events, and with allow another players enter - Pirate Sanctrum's, Hubs, Shipyards, Abbadoned Stations and etc. If you found one, and jump - here alot of enemies and etc. So, other players who scan solar system, can found that too and jump to you. After you finish that event, and jump to that location again. You find a clean "dead" space... nothing more.

With instanced maps - technically, you can communitcate with other players in chats and etc. For example, some quest. You get a quest to trap some demon, but him use a powerful spell, and you teleported to instanced world. (loaded from world2.otbm with unique id) And other players, who give that quest will be teleported to that world too (world with that unique id). You primary task here - complete a 2-3 missions for escape from this strange world, where a different rules for play, etc etc etc.

For me, generally, instances in Tibia - that is instrument for create places, techically, not a part of main map.otbm, but that places - important part of gameworld, connected to that by portals, for usage in quests showoff (NPC: ...if you want to know, whats happen with %place_name% look my magic stone blah blah blah, and player see a scripted scene as video in instance as prelude for that quest), for create unique gameWorld structure (few otbms in one server, where players can travel without re-login) and many other things.

TL;DR: I LIKE PLAYER CONFRONTATION, THAT IS THE POINT OF ONLINE GAMES, INSTANCES KILL IT.

About the use of instances in modern MMOs, this is done due to these games being 3D, and the sort of hardware to be able to host hundreds of players, and active monsters(and all the combat) at the same time is hard to expect the average person to have.

So instances were created mostly due to combat that hardware limitation.

This doesnt mean they were added into most MMOs because it was a superior game type, in fact it limits most mmos 'online interaction' to almost trivial extents.

On Tibia (be it on an ot, or real after rookguard), there is never really a time where you are 'safe' from other players, and can gain exp. You always have to deal with the possibility of someone sneaking up on you at a bad time, a group of people 'hunting' you down, or just getting caught in the cross fire of other people.

This makes it so you are always on your toes, and have to deal with an unscripted chaotic human element.

We talked about dungeons quests were you need a group of people working together as a team?

These are fun! You know what makes them more fun and exciting? Having the chaotic human element I talked about in there. We've all seen it, some boss spawns somewhere, and tons of people go to kill it, and just when it is about to die.. BOOM, all hell breaks loose, and it's a mad house of other people killing each other, and just, all kinds of excitement that is unscripted, and apart of human nature.

But about the dungeon quests and an open world? Imagine how much more intense a WoW raid could be, if there was a possibility of your enemies showing up while you're busy trying to kill one of the boss? Adds another level of difficulty, and just all sorts of indepth PLAYER INTERACTION, that would never occur if you were all kept in your own little kiddie play zones.

Isn't that the point of playing an ONLINE game? To deal with the OTHER ONLINE PLAYERS? Most current gen-mmos make me feel like I should just be playing a co-op game, because there is no real human-interaction. The only human interaction is a mutual gain to complete some quest, or trade items.. not a real human interaction, just the one that the game has dedicated that won't make little Billy cancel his subscription because he got pk'ed during his big boss raid event, and didn't get anything out of it.

Another thing I would like to point out is, in an open world pvp game, there can actually be GOOD and BAD guys, compared to instance based games were there is no human emotion shown through from the character, because the system itself has limited the player to trivial options that pretty much only lead to mutual gain.

What am I talking about? In an open world, that is all one solid world... you can decide if you want to pk someone or not, lure monsters on them or not.. OR EVEN HELP PEOPLE THAT ARE GETTING PKED, ETC ETC

You can actually actively play a 'good guy' by helping people out (protecting low levels from getting 'hunted', giving them items, whatever)

You can also actively be a bad guy as well, go about pking, stealing peoples loot, luring monsters on them, all sorts of chaotic human elements.

You can also double cross people! Take them on a big long quest.. get the rewards at the end, and BOOM, off with their head sunny, your treasures mine!

You can hunt people down! We've all been hunted, and we've all hunted someone on Tibia, and this brings about some real intense and fun player interaction that I haven't been able to see in other games.

Actually being able to effect another player in a real way (not just a mutual benefit way) shows real human emotion, and brings a unique indepthness to a genre that is BASED 100% ABOUT BEING ONLINE TO BEGIN WITH.

These are actual human interactions that bring out real emotions from players, because they were unscripted, and happen organically, and NONE OF THESE are possible in a instanced game, because the system itself limits you way too much, making this impossible.

Last edited:
Seems like you are avoiding all MMOs, since every single one I've play with the exception of tibia(If you can call it MMO) have Instance.

You say, no one not talk on MMOs instances? Flatlander, if you don't communicate on boss rooms you are doom on most good MMOs, you gotta have a good communication Healer/Tank to take those aggros and Adds (Adds - When it comes to MMORPGs, adds are mobs that attack you on top of the Boss you already had attacking you)or for your DPS to call for help. If you never experience that with your own team then you don't have the rights to call it bad even if its just your opinion :/, How can you have an opinion on something you haven't even tried.

Kill tibia because of this? so you rather throw all players to clear a dungeon*(PoI) if you can call any of those in tibia, just cuz you don't like the idea? IMO its way better for players to form their own group and clear a dungeon. or tat about Cut-seens IMO its just a wonderful idea.

*Instead of letting different groups of players clear the dungeon at the same time with different groups. If you ask me this will latter just become a way of income for stronger players, or simply forget about it after some time, cuz they already clear it. but if you do it like on MMOs instance based and make the final boss fun then you can have players going over and over and over, instead in like tibia just to go hunt 1 kind of monster to lvl up.

THIS IS JUST IMO you are the one doing work so UP to you :) (Sorry for the the thing about YOUR OPINION don't take it personal :D)

People hardly ever talk to each other outside of mutual gain on instance based mmos (ie, HEAL ME WHILE I TANK THE BOSS FAGGOT, OR YOU'RE GONNA WIPE OUR TEAM)

This is not real human interaction, or communication, if the leader of the guild was able to force his guildmates to cast spells on specific targets, he would, and forgo the conversation all together, as it isn't a real conversation, it is a the same as telling a bot what you want it to do.

We have all experienced this type of 'community' and if that's what you want out of human interaction.. I don't know what to say. It's pathetic.

Those raids would be a million times harder if other people outside of your group could interact with you (and the monsters), and would create an actual online atmosphere, not just a co-op one.

People also 'farm the same raid' repetitively on all mmos, just some have put 'weekly limits' on it, otherwise they'd do them all day long.

Also, as far as 'stronger players get to abuse their power' in an open world environment. YEP! They sure do! God forbid you have to compete with another human being that MIGHT be better than you. There are ways to work around it, and it actually brings a bit of personality, and cunningness to a game, and the way you deal with the person in power (be it talking them down, or just playing to avoid them, or forming your own group to take him/them out of power) is a GAME WITHIN A GAME, that comes from HUMAN INTERACTION, which is the point of playing an ONLINE, game.

alumni_planes1.jpg

Kind regards.

I really doubt you'd max out the 65535 x 65535 x 16 available map with that multi-world.. world, but even if you could, you easily rescript the way the map is drawn to include more floors, and not have to go towards instances. (well, easier than making instances at least)

But, even through some quests i've made, I've wanted to go 'down more'.. make more floors for a quest, because I didn't want to mess up the ability to exiva someone, because I reached floor 15, and i'd have to teleport a player to another location to simulate going down further.

I will guarantee you we will make a way to increase the z axis to extend the map to go deeper than what it can already do. We will just also have to edit a map editor to allow you to actually map in a way going below floor 15.

But as far as -needing- instances.. the biggest reason to NEED instances is to separate people into different areas were THEY CAN NOT INTERACT with each other, and for the most part, I think that is extremely detrimental to the online experience and aspect of the game.

As far as making cutscenes, you can already make cutscenes just by teleporting a player (or group) to a location that other people can't reach, and do the event. Or hell, other people could reach it/watch it too if you wanted, just make it a protection zone so the other people can't disturb the people watching the cutscene.

There is no need to actually make an instance, because we can already 'fake it' to the extents that are needed.

BUT, I can see the use of it for cutscenes (so multiple people/groups can watch the same cutscene at the same time, without it having to be re-mapped a ton) and thats where I can see the systems 'usefulness'

I just would hate to see Tibia servers with instanced hunting.. securing your hunting area.. and dealing with the random human element is a part of the game play, if I can just avoid all people by entering and reentering a instance till I get one with no other people becomes an option, I might as well just go play a single player rpg instead, or a co-op game.

Being able to go check a popular hunting spot, and kill people there, adds a unique game play feature that is lacking in instanced based games.

Last edited:
As far as making cutscenes, you can already make cutscenes just by teleporting a player (or group) to a location that other people can't reach, and do the event. Or hell, other people could reach it/watch it too if you wanted, just make it a protection zone so the other people can't disturb the people watching the cutscene.
Yeah, and how many zones you need to create? Looks like - if(globalStorage == 1) then return false end hehe, or tp you to another, similar map place. Here a problem with right way of scripting, right way of implement of that.

I just would hate to see Tibia servers with instanced hunting.. securing your hunting area.. and dealing with the random human element is a part of the game play, if I can just avoid all people by entering and reentering a instance till I get one with no other people becomes an option, I might as well just go play a single player rpg instead, or a co-op game.
Thats why on RL tibia, CipSoft make a Black Skull and banishment for unlimited player kills/per time. But that is bad way (imho, non-rpg way). So, if we talk about OT, sometimes, "old" players can hold some "quest" location and kill any players in that area. Newcomer cant finish/processing their quest, and after time - can left from you server. Make a non-pvp zone here? Yeah this way...but how about RPG? :)

So, that is only idea, and it's a topic-owner choice - use it or nope;)
(Personally - i dont use TFS or someting else, and dont have a plan to do it in future. That software dont have a good quality in my vision...)

Ok, when I say I avoid Instanced MMOs. I avoid them BECAUSE they are incredibly boring. Yes there are other factors and reasons for it, (such as little to no deathloss on most MMOs now).
I have played almost every major MMO ever created.
Tera Online, Age of Conan, WoW, Guild Wars, Everquest, there are hundreds and they all have different features. Some are more fun than others, but they all get boring quickly.

But! I like to add people that I meet and enjoy talking to on MSN or Skype. I have over 3000 people from Tibia, I have 4 from other MMOs.
Why? NO ONE TALKS and there is almost 0 Community in other MMOs. If you see someone walking by on Age of Conan, are you going to talk to him? NO, never, not once, unless they do something annoying and you feel the need to rage at them.

You never come across events that require communication in instanced MMOs, the REASON you would need an instance, is to literally AVOID player confrontation.

Can you imagine tibia with instances? Liberty Bay Wyrms, "only 2-5 people should be here at one time, so we will just keep creating instances so there is never player conflict"
So all 300 people online on Libera can hunt wyrms at the same time and there be no issues.
To me that is total bullshit, there should never be a reason why someone CANT follow you, or can't find you.
Even if you try to hide on the ghost ship, people can predict you are there and go back and forth between venore and darashia till they end up on that ship.

PoI "We will create an instance for PoI so players cannot interfere with each other" How incredibly stupid would that be?

If there was raids on tibia, you could go disrupt it as a guild, or prevent enemies from doing the Raid. You can't do that on any other MMO, there IS no community.

I will never create instances on TFS. Hell if someone added a feature for Instances I would remove it. It is a stupid feature and should never be used.

Yeah, and how many zones you need to create? Looks like - if(globalStorage == 1) then return false end hehe, or tp you to another, similar map place. Here a problem with right way of scripting, right way of implement of that.

Thats why on RL tibia, CipSoft make a Black Skull and banishment for unlimited player kills/per time. But that is bad way (imho, non-rpg way). So, if we talk about OT, sometimes, "old" players can hold some "quest" location and kill any players in that area. Newcomer cant finish/processing their quest, and after time - can left from you server. Make a non-pvp zone here? Yeah this way...but how about RPG? :)

So, that is only idea, and it's a topic-owner choice - use it or nope;)
(Personally - i dont use TFS or someting else, and dont have a plan to do it in future. That software dont have a good quality in my vision...)

I don't like the skull system, and if the game is lacking so much in content that the 'older' players have nothing better to do then just camp a quest room 24/7, then thats the developers fault.

I'm okay with people killing other people, even if it makes it hard for others to finish a quest, it's just apart of the game, i'd never add in a non-pvp zone, just the player would have to try again, or bring a bigger team.. I would hope in a game where death is a factor, that people don't instantly quit because they died.

Seems like we have played games compleatly different :p.
I've never spoke to someone on tibia, other than RL friends, or when I was the owner of one server, other than that I've never spoke with someone on tibia.
While playing MMOs(Instance based) I get to join guilds and get to their Voice chat and speak with them and go to Farm Dungeons, or get up at 2 AM just to do Raids.
And I don't know what you guys say about this flame about Communication over MMOs instances :p
But well if flatlander does not want to develop this feature lets roll with it. perhaps latter he will realize its a good one, and implement it ;P

BTW IT WILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO ASK A MOD TO CLEAN THIS, THIS SEEMS MORE LIKE A WAR

It's fine, I update the main topic anytime there is progress. and I will continue to do so. ~End of Instance Conversation~

Back to the world of TFS updates. We messed around with Monster Levels a bit and ended up removing them, we will add them back in once we add in the other changes.
Remember; The most important thing is the ability to turn any of our features on/off so that you can have normal tibia features if you want them.

We will continue on working on Monsters until we get them how we want them. Until then I probably won't post much.

BUT after I am done, I will open a "test server" where people can log in and hunt a bunch of different monsters with different AI and see what they think.

On second thought..

The monster level system did work, but I need to figure out every feature that is needed for it, and there are other AI additions and such to add before the monster level system can be properly added in completely.

Get all Monsters by name: Would it be possible to create a lua function grabbing all monsters and optionally filtering them autmaticly by name, like this?
Lua:
-- somewhere in a function
local monsters = getMonsters() --returns a table of every living monsters
local demons = getMonsters("Demon") --returns a table of every living demon
local dragons = getMonsters("Dragon, Dragon Lord") --returns a table of every living dragon/dragon lord
Something like this?

Oooh and maybe something like additional combat stats as:
Damage percent: both magic (can be divided in all magic types (fire,ice etc..)) and physical damage
Dodge chance: a chance to dodge an attack
Block chance: a chance to block an attack
Block value: the amount you block for
Crit chance: (already exists somewhat but I'd like to see additional functions with it)
Crit damage: the damage you crit for
Damage reduction percent: Reduces damage by a %.
Damage reduction: Reduces damage by a flat amount.

These stats should then be addable to items like any other stat in items.xml and maybe monsters should also be able to have these, and ofcourse changable by lua functions.

Back