• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling Ubuntu 18

kor

PHP ziom
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
rookgaard
YouTube
Rookgaard
I believe you can install non-outdated versions through vcpkg as you would for Windows (it supports Linux, too).

Otherwise, I highly recommend you build and run your server on Docker to access the latest Ubuntu version. These updates fix important performance fixes so it's better to update your libraries rather than rollback the changes if you have a public, online facing server.

The thing is, I don't have that much time to move whole infrastructure to newest Ubuntu version or move it to Docker (I did it - distro update - in the past going from version 14 to 18 and it took me too much free time), so while End of Life of Ubuntu 18 is in April 2028 I probably will stay where I am for a while.

I was just curious if there is better code solution rather than distro update.

P.S. Also, I wonder how many people actually run their server being up-to-date with current TFS state which forces them having latest Linux distribution (so servers older than April 2020)?

You could always build the boost library yourself, without relying on your package manager. There are also some options you can pass, so it only builds the parts that TFS actually needs, which reduces required disk space & makes the whole compilation process faster.

The reason is as above - it would unfortunately require too much of my free time to move 5 y.o. server. Thanks for link, I didn't searched in that way.

Using Docker is exactly what allows you to use the latest TFS without the need to upgrade your host OS.

Back