• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Ultimate guide for DoS and DDos prevention - part 1

Debian

Reaction score
Being a web host, your servers are constantly being attacked by hackers by denial-of-service (DoS) and other brute force attacks. There is no foolproof method to stop 100% of all attacks, but there are ways to protect your servers by applying firewall rules, and detecting and banning attacking IPs.

This tutorial I throw this one in order that any person understands it following the steps later:

install : APF -- Advanced Policy-based Firewall

What is APF?
Advanced Policy Firewall (APF) is an iptables(netfilter) based firewall system designed around the essential needs of today’s Internet deployed servers and the unique needs of custom deployed Linux installations. The configuration of APF is designed to be very informative and present the user with an easy to follow process, from top to bottom of the configuration file. The management of APF on a day-to-day basis is conducted from the command line with the ‘apf’ command, which includes detailed usage information and all the features one would expect from a current and forward thinking firewall solution.

APF is one of the best firewalls out there and is an important component in your server security. Every server should have a firewall installed !

How to install APF

Code:
# cd /usr/src
# mkdir utils
# cd utils
# wget http://rfxnetworks.com/downloads/apf-current.tar.gz
# tar xfz apf-current.tar.gz
# cd apf-*
# ./install.sh

Read the README.apf and README.antidos for configuration options. Edit the /etc/apf/conf.apf and modify the following lines to your need.
Code:
DEVEL_MODE="0"
IG_TCP_CPORTS="21,22,25,53,80,110,143,443,3306,7171,7172"
IG_UDP_CPORTS="53,111"
USE_AD="1"

Note: These ports are not auto-configured; they are simply presented for information purposes. You must manually configure all port options.
For more information about apf configuration please feel free to consult http://rfxnetworks.com/appdocs/README.apf
Please note that APF has a very nice log that you can check. For example you can tail the last 10 rows for this files

By default, APF is setup to run in development mode which flushes firewall rules every 5 minutes. Running in development mode defeats the purpose of running APF, as it will automatically flush every 5 minutes. Configure the Ingress (inbound) TCP and UDP ports that need to be opened. Finally, enable AntiDos by setting USE_AD="1".

Edit the /etc/apf/ad/conf.antidos as you fit necessary, and start the APF firewall.

Code:
# apf --start

Forgive my bad English and I hope that this serves someone

Last edited:
This is all preconfigured to drop bad connections?

It's a good guide but if you could explain exactly what it does atleast partially.

good guide .. please can make one for windows please :(

would appreciate much pleased!

good guide .. please can make one for windows please :(

would appreciate much pleased!

windows is very sux man but for windows you can activate windows firewal and configure

Last edited:
APF is mainly a wrapper around iptables and other tools. I prefere defining the rules myself.

This is not your guide right? I have read this before. I found it when I was googling about a year ago I think ;P

APF is mainly a wrapper around iptables and other tools. I prefere defining the rules myself.

You say that your same one you should look at the ip and the baneed
And if they are atackes zombie also?

He forgives but what seizes ip tables is very limited and is better it to complement with other aplicasiones it of your this very good guide but it is for atackes two noobs as doing ping from windows:/

This is not your guide right? I have read this before. I found it when I was googling about a year ago I think ;P

Even I believe that me lacking failban and iptables (complemented) for mas safety and to control the bandwidth but I do not believe that it puts it. It is better than all search in google supposedly
Look for information in order that each one serves in order that an idiot says to me that it should extract it of google pff

Even I believe that me lacking failban and iptables (complemented) for mas safety and to control the bandwidth but I do not believe that it puts it. It is better than all search in google supposedly
Look for information in order that each one serves in order that an idiot says to me that it should extract it of google pff

I don't understand :S Did you make this guide or not?

Back