• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Very oldschool OT player here. Let's chat about old and new OT! And maybe help me catch up?

nillusion

Reaction score
So I am an OT player from back in the day, and when I say back in the day, I mean when 7.6 was probably the most played OT version. I would like to catch up a little bit about the game but also about hosting a server. Back in the day we actually used only XML and just before I quit, SQL became a big thing. Now I see that C++ and Lua are a must and this gets me excited to try some stuff.

Who can tell me what's new and whats gone?

On a side note. All these years I have studied programming and worked as a programmer. I would like to try and host a server locally. Where do I start? What do I need to know? I'd love to chat about this!

Hosting service from ovh.com for sure!
You should try to use tfs 1.2 or later version
Welcome Back :)

Hosting service from ovh.com for sure!
You should try to use tfs 1.2 or later version
Welcome Back :)

Thanks a lot!

Do you think you can point me in the right direction? Like where to download something or where to find a tutorial on how to actually start a server nowadays? I remember just downloading a server and running the .exe, but that probably doesn't work anymore?

I found this YurOTS server which I think could be 7.6? But I'm not sure how that's supposed to run either. I would like to try tfs 1.2 but I don't know where to start!

It's good to be back :D

well there might be some servers with exe
but must people use linux :D

a tutorial

Linux is fine too! I just don't know how to start the server. Should I just be able to run it?

I'll watch that video now! Thanks :)
Post automatically merged:

@Amiroo I'm runnig TFS 1.2 now! How do I make an account on my own server? Or should I ask that somewhere else? Haha.

EDIT: I found it. Got Znote AAC.

Last edited:
Nice welcome back! Would be nice to have a 7.6 Server aaswell I dont see any 7.6 actually. Good Luck

Don't use 7.6, instead use the 7.72 client which supports directx. 7.6 is pain in eyes and probably not even popular anymore. You still can use 7.72 client with 7.6 sprites and also game mechanics but servers like these need to be developed first as these are custom - probably no released for them yet but 7.4 versions which use custom clients these are mostly based on 7.72 client.

@Dangara would you happen to know where I can find a base for a 7.4, 7.6 or 7.72 server? I really don't know where to look. I need a solid base where I can work on. Else I don't know how to start!

I got TFS to work but it's 10.98.. I would really love to get something around 7.72 to work. But need to know where to start! :D

@Dangara would you happen to know where I can find a base for a 7.4, 7.6 or 7.72 server? I really don't know where to look. I need a solid base where I can work on. Else I don't know how to start!

I got TFS to work but it's 10.98.. I would really love to get something around 7.72 to work. But need to know where to start! :D

Right now I'm stick to this one:

Also there are diferent very nice globals servers such as:

Or;

You will have an excelent time playing those!

Hi! Welcome back, I'm also recently returning to OpenTibia after being away for years now.(Since tibia 8.6 release back in 2010). After studying game desgin Im currently remastering a long beloved server. OpenTibia had inspired to pursue an education in game development and design. So I guess I owe it to the community 😊

Hey @Khaleyn ! It's exactly the same to me! Editing XML files in my first OT almost 15 years ago is the reason why I started studying game development, followed by currently IT. I've always wanted to get back into OT, but I am going to have to learn how to compile the current servers and find my way around! Also welcome back to you! I hope we can help eachother :)

Thank you very much for this! I'm going to look into compiling tibia servers and I will try to learn a bit more about setting servers up. Do you have any tips for me?

I've also returned recently and interested in developing something unique. I do a little bit of my own programming but I'm not that great in c++.
I can also manage the hosting. My internet provider offers 1Gbps download and upload for local hosting plus I don't mind to buy dedicated hosting if necessary. Currently I've managed to compile TFS1.2 and the OTLand Client. Put a server online and been playing around with little changes.

If anyone wants to team up to collaborate as a hobby, maybe grow into something more, just let me know.

That's awesome @SeeingBlue ! I have indeed also managed to compile tfs 1.2. Where do you get the OTLand client? I think it's 10.x right? I'm really looking to get that oldschool feeling going with 7.6-8.0 but not having much luck yet.

I'd love to stay in contact and learn from eachother if possible!

My discord is on my website BluNET - Home of Ultimate Twitch Bot (http://seeingblue.us) (looks like my cert is out of date, guess I'll fix that today)
You can shoot me a message there.

I compiled this version: otland/otclient (https://github.com/otland/otclient)
I understand wanting the old feel. I think there are ways to get the old feel with new clients, like an option for disabling the rune aimbot for example.

What I'm really interested in is changing monster behavior. I want a smarter, more unique experience.
Also I'm down for allowing luring, blocking, and an alternative to the skull system. The good ole days.
Ultimately, IMO continuous hidden quest and secrets to discover are what's going to keep people coming back tho.

Last edited:
I don't even know what is new in Tibia after 7.8~ 😄 . So I would have to get to know a lot about the game if I wanted to create a "modern" server. I would like to though! If I were to do that, I would definitely want to make it a unique experience. I'll make sure to join the discord.

Back