• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling Visual studio 2015 (community)

Codinablack

Dreamer
Content Editor
Solutions
Reaction score
Ok so I'm making this post from work otherwise I would have the error log and if I can't get any help by the time I get off I will be sure to post here with the errors. Anyways I tried compiling tfs 1.2 from the master branch on windows 64 bit with visual studio 2015 community but apparently there is a problem with the servers solution being made for older versions of visual studio, I do recall there being an issue with boost and yes I am certain I am using correct boost version. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has successfully compiled with vs 2015 and if so if they could help me to know what I must change to get it to compile successfully. Please and thank you, any help is much appreciated....

Thanks man I appreciate it, when I loaded the solution it told me that it uses an older version and asked me to update and I clicked ok, then everything started parsing so I thought I was good...

I got something like that top and just assumed they don't support it yet, so I figured the support forum here to be a better place, but I'll keep watching both of them

IIRC, it should be something like this to build boost libs. :p

1. Open VS2015 Native Tools Command Prompt.
2. Change directory to your boost directory.
3. Execute .\bootstrap.bat
4. Execute .\b2 toolset=msvc-14.0 address-model=32 or 64 link=shared threading=multi variant=release
5. stage/lib directory should contain libs once it's complete.

Thank you very much ninja, I was attempting this earlier before I wentered to work, because I found tutorials for older visual studio's however I was having a problem getting the cmd to go to the correct directory, tried both the build command prompt and the other, tried running both normally and both as administrator, however when I type in C: the path doesn't change and when I type in C:/local it says it's not a recognized command and even as I am typing this I believe I realized my mistake, I should have been typing C:local/ right? Idk, I'll play with it more and see if I can get it to work, thanks for the help it is very much appreciated :D

After you build the new libs you have to take the .bat file and put it in the new location, the bat file was originally in tfs sdk folder, it sets the new environment variables for you, put it in the new location and run it.

It has boost in the name, something like set_boost_env.bat or something like that, sorry for double post

I tried that and it didn't work. I tried putting it in stage/ and I tried putting it directly in stage/lib/ and I tried putting it in the main boost folder, no matter where I registered it, it gave the same error

Well apparently I don't know how to execute bootstrap, it keeps telling me that's not a recognized command, I was trying to do it everyway possible I could think of... had found this tutorial before ninja's post

EDIT: just manually executed the bootstrap.bat, then bjam.exe and keep getting errors about unknown compiler version and I know I downloaded the correct sources

use cd to set the path to your boost location (example:
Code:
cd C:\Users\USER_NAME\Desktop\boost_1_58_0
then do
Code:
.\boostrap.bat
then when it finishes
Code:
.\b2 toolset=msvc-14.0 address-model=64 link=shared threading=multi variant=release

check the folder and make sure bootstrap.bat is in fact in that folder

edit:
tried the stuff in that link, no luck. also tried the binaries from the git issue, and tried upgrading those ones with this method, nothing worked

it is, i copied the file location from the file explorer... also I ran it manually by clicking on it...

then it created bjam.exe which i am currently running, but it has the same error every few lines....

Oh, I just noticed it was wrong file location....

C:\local\boost_1_58_0\boost_1_58_0

I am pretty certain those errors are why its not working for you, if you read the link it says that in the .hpp file somewhere we have to manually change the numbers on some checks for the compiler version... idk tho, just a guess...

I have 2013 on my main computer and it works, so for now I'll just use that. I'm going to leave the issue open until Mark closes it because I believe Mark will probably eventually want to support 2015, and it might be a good reference for what the issue is. There's no way it should be such a hassle just to compile, so I'll just not use 2015 for now.

Back