• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Wanderer 2D - c++ game project

nasu

Reaction score
GitHub
KrwawyOrk
welcome!
I have been thinking for a long time about presenting my project to people. I've been programming this game for a few years but I keep taking long breaks and unfortunately the game looks like I've been developing it for a week hehe. The project was created while learning C++ and the SDL graphics library.

This is a description of the plot, which was born in my head while drinking beer:
The player's task is to collect repair items and start the spaceship engine... I can't think of anything better.

What I already have:
  • loading a map from a txt file
  • You can attack monsters
  • inventory window
  • simple, small map editor

Unfortunately I didn't manage to implement pathfinding for monsters so they move in random directions. All graphical elements I created myself except for people and monsters graphics.

I am making the source code of this game available if anyone wants to read it out of curiosity, but I warn you it is spaghetti code badly organised.
github: GitHub - KrwawyOrk/Wanderer-2D: Wanderer 2D is a simple RPG project written in C++ as a learning experience. The game uses SDL 1 graphics library and takes place in underground laboratories. The player has to start the engine of a spaceship. (https://github.com/KrwawyOrk/Wanderer-2D)

Short gameplay video:

I would also like to add that at the time I started making this game, game engines like Unity and Unreal were not popular, and I don't think Unity even existed. Back then Ogre3D and Irrlicht 3D were used, but those tools were too complicated for my C++ knowledge.

Awesome job dude. For a weeks amount of work, you've covered a lot of features!

Let me know if you need help with pathfinding, although I'm sure you're capable of doing it yourself.

Thanks, it's a shame that through lack of time and motivation this game is still not finished. Unfortunately when you're fucking working nights in a warehouse it's hard to get down to programming during the day.

Thanks, it's a shame that through lack of time and motivation this game is still not finished. Unfortunately when you're fucking working nights in a warehouse it's hard to get down to programming during the day.

Just of curiosity, why are you working in a warehouse when you are able to code? It does not make sense to me why someone would rather work in a warehouse than work as a software engineer. I worked in a warehouse before, but after learning to code I switched, I have so much more freedom now.

Hey, nosu. I just sent you a private message regarding the map files and sprites that were not commited to the github repository.

I would love to contribute to the project, so if you can, reach out! thanks

Just of curiosity, why are you working in a warehouse when you are able to code? It does not make sense to me why someone would rather work in a warehouse than work as a software engineer. I worked in a warehouse before, but after learning to code I switched, I have so much more freedom now.

At the moment I am on notice of termination. After more than six years I took a risk and decided to make myself redundant from my warehouse job. I am looking for a job as a junior front-end developer.

I ask out of curiosity, what do you program at work?
kind regards!

Last edited:
Awesome project. Doesn't look like a 1 week project at all, especially working with SDL, definitely looks like at least a year of work to me, looking great!

I see where you get the inspiration from Tibia from, but I feel like this is a great base for a puzzle game, perhaps a puzzle adventure RPG?
I can really see the spiders coming out of those lockers, hanging from their web, with some scary sound effects playing.

And I'm really impressed that you wrote your own map editor.
I'm in general awe of people that are able to write software like that, I can't write graphical software for the life of me, and to me some of the greatest legends in the Open Tibia community are Remere and Sim1 for their map editors. Edubart is also up there, all people that afaik wrote their own amazing and innovative software mostly on their own.

Hope to see your project flourishing in the future, I see real potential here and would hate to see it wasted unless you of course just really don't feel like working with it anymore which I could understand since it's a lot of work and can get tiring, but best of luck to you and whatever you set your mind to!

I made the decision to complete this project. I will simplify the game and cut out ideas that were impossible for me to do.

A few places/maps, a few NPCs and some simple quests will be created. As for weapons, I will stay with the traditional pistol and knife. Unfortunately I don't know how to integrate a library for loading xml files, so some data about the location of cabinets, doors, NPCs will be in the source code... The game will be simple, should not take more than 30-60 minutes to complete.

Unfortunately I don't know how to integrate a library for loading xml files, so some data about the location of cabinets, doors, NPCs will be in the source code...

Just check TFS pugixml usage or an older version with libxml. You could also try jsoncpp instead of xml or even rollout your own format, depending on your needs. I could potentially help you with either

Back