• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What about an Otland Cloud?

Maybe you can limit the resources, start with something small like 100MB per user and if this become popular/used you can upgrade to 500MB or until 1GB per user.

I think our released code and resources should be stored in a way that is clean, easily-accessible and [mostly] permanent. The premise of your idea is one that I could not agree more with; there is nothing more discouraging than finding a link to a resource you're excited to take a look at, just to find that the link is expired or invalid.

Although, the implementation is holding it back. You will face immense resistence if you do not attain OTLand's affiliation. In order to be affiliated with OTLand the cloud storage should be run by OTLand administration - and nobody else. This is for two reasons:
  1. Keeping up with the resource (the cloud storage) needs to be the responsibility of the administration. If not, its foundation could be ripped from underneath it. To put it a simpler way, if you disappeared one day out of the blue like a lot of users in the past have, we lose our "Super Admin." The cloud's foundation is at risk at this point, and restarting is almost as much work as starting in the first place. This is nothing against YOU, this is just the nature of it.
  2. Administration has a lot to lose. OTLand is still here today because its administration does not make risky or unnecessary decisions. If OTLand administration decided to "adopt" OTLand Cloud Hosting while NOT being the ONLY ONES with "Super Admin" positions, they're essentially placing YOU at their same level. If they put their name behind your service and you, for any reason, (not saying that you would, of course) implanted malicious software in one of the "approved" download files, YOU would not be to blame, but OTLand would be to blame. Losing such long-standing credibility could disseminate this entire community.

If your goal is to create a cloud storage for Open Tibia related content, you will succeed with that just fine. Whether or not you attain a large number of users on OTLand's name is based on whether you have OTLand's affiliation. If you try to call it OTLand Cloud Storage without this site's direct affiliation, there's a good chance it will end up blacklisted; we cannot support a resource we don't administrate. A lot more users will feel comfortable downloading a resource knowing OTLand approves it compared to if "Damon" approves it.

Red

Excuse my double-post -- both posts relate to completely separate issues. This post is addressing a concern regarding limiting resources per user.

While I agree that limitation would be vital to the site's success, limitation needs to be made in regard to file type.

I've been working on my server for over 6 years now. My data folder, excluding world, is around 30MB. The world folder is over 100MB on its own. Capping a user to 100MB or even 500MB would be a pretty significant bottleneck.
I think users should be able to submit unlimited files that are *.lua & *.xml as long as a single file doesn't exceed 500KB (Lua) or 30MB (XML) -- If it exceeds these thresholds it should be submitted to administration queue.

Just a thought regarding the structure. I can't think of really any reason to see a Lua file that's >500KB, even for a huge library. I used 30MB for XML files because of the huge amount of spawns (especially with map trackers) that can lead to incredibly large XML files.

Red

Update!
Within the next days I will most likely perform a test phase. Thus I would love to have any testers I can get :)
@Codex NG @HalfAway @Sir Knighter @anyone

@Red
Thank you for the thoroughful feedback :)
Regarding your first post I agree that it would be nice to have the Staff's approval for my Cloud to have the name "Otland" in it. However I disagree with you when it comes to expressing the necessarity of an actual Otland Staff member having to be the owner of the Otland Cloud. While I would probably commit to the idea of giving a select few Otland Staff members super powers regarding the cloud I don't see why it wouldn't be able to work out even without the Otland staff being involved ( the Otlands Staff consent is all that would be necessary). Surely I am no representative Staff member, however I deem myself worthy of being called a "trusted" member of our beloved community given the fact I have been around for quite a while now and have earned quite the reputation. I am not saying I'm the best guy out there for this job but atleast I am taking initiatives! The Otland team could have done something like a cloud long ago and now, after seeing countless files expiring, I decided to do this project. It's not like there are much possibilites for me to "abuse" my power either. The content contributed to the cloud will be distributed by community members. We ALL are Otland. We ALL are a community. This is OPEN Tibia and I call myself an Otlander just as anyone else here. Thus I think it is not even as much a dare to name my cloud "Otland Cloud". Nonetheless I do not want to trouble anyone and shall the Otland staff feel offended if my cloud continues to go by this name I will think of another name for sure.

Regarding your second post:
Thats some good ideas there I will definitly look into this :)

edit red 1:
As for me vanishing from Otland leaving the cloud without a super admin: I cant see me leaving otland anytime soon. If so I would make sure to pass on the project and even now I dont intend to manage the whole project all by myself.

Last edited:
Update!
Within the next days I will most likely perform a test phase. Thus I would love to have any testers I can get :)
@Codex NG @HalfAway @Sir Knighter @anyone

@Red
Thank you for the thoroughful feedback :)
Regarding your first post I agree that it would be nice to have the Staff's approval for my Cloud to have the name "Otland" in it. However I disagree with you when it comes to expressing the necessarity of an actual Otland Staff member having to be the owner of the Otland Cloud. While I would probably commit to the idea of giving a select few Otland Staff members super powers regarding the cloud I don't see why it wouldn't be able to work out even without the Otland staff being involved ( the Otlands Staff consent is all that would be necessary). Surely I am no representative Staff member, however I deem myself worthy of being called a "trusted" member of our beloved community given the fact I have been around for quite a while now and have earned quite the reputation. I am not saying I'm the best guy out there for this job but atleast I am taking initiatives! The Otland team could have done something like a cloud long ago and now, after seeing countless files expiring, I decided to do this project. It's not like there are much possibilites for me to "abuse" my power either. The content contributed to the cloud will be distributed by community members. We ALL are Otland. We ALL are a community. This is OPEN Tibia and I call myself an Otlander just as anyone else here. Thus I think it is not even as much a dare to name my cloud "Otland Cloud". Nonetheless I do not want to trouble anyone and shall the Otland staff feel offended if my cloud continues to go by this name I will think of another name for sure.

Regarding your second post:
Thats some good ideas there I will definitly look into this :)

edit red 1:
As for me vanishing from Otland leaving the cloud without a super admin: I cant see me leaving otland anytime soon. If so I would make sure to pass on the project and even now I dont intend to manage the whole project all by myself.
Bro, i can be a tester.

Files should be tagged, easier searchs.
Code:
 AAC, ZnoteAAC, GesiorAAC, NicawAAC, DevAAC, 2012, TFS 1.x, TFS 1.0, TFS 1.1, TFS 1.2, TFS 0.2, TFS 0.3, TFS 0.4, OTHire, Avesta, OTServ, Oldschool, 7.4, 7.6, 7.72, 8.54, 8.6, 10.41, 10,77, [probably any protocol available], RME, Lua, XML, otbm, C++, html, php, js, map, distribution, tool, datapack, monster, item, sprite, [list goes on]

Tonido could be a good way to do. Maybe Otland administration could use this program.

I can test it if you wish.
Great! I will add you to the list :) Special thanks added btw^^

Looking for translators:
I am currently looking for translators for the Cloud that can translate the cloud into any language that is not already included in the list below:

wL9RxMC.png

hey @Damon
I can translate to Portuguese if you want.

Anyone that is happy to help can now do so by using this form: http://pastebin.com/DkffBDVW
Simply change "Your Language" to the language name you translated to and then translate all values after "=>" !
When done simply save the file as .php and send it to me via pm :)

Which file extensions shall be allowed?
I have already thought of the most used in the ots scene howevwe i might be missing some:
lua, xml, otbm, sql, txt, php, html, zip, rar, psd, jpg, png
@Shadowsong any sprite endings im missing? :)

I have not included .exe in the allowed files. Distributions with these extensions will be reviewed by the Cloud Staff prior to being uploaded. So if someone wants to upload these he would have to do an inquiry first.

Last edited:
I have small bit of stuff on mega cloud and chomikuj.pl is a polish website - cloud - thingy that got loads of open tibia related stuff from engines datapacks to editors and clients

Just letting you guys know that there will be a beta soon (in a seperate thread). Also I would like to happily announce that as for using Otlands name I got @Mark's Approval :)
Stay tuned!

This is a great idea indeed. I'm really interested in this. I believe in you Damon. Anything that you believe in stick with it and keep doing it. I have seen you in Otland for years and you are one of the unique memebers in Otland. You have positive vibes, and I believe that nothing in front of you but success and keep doing what you want to do cause people will make fun, complain etc.. later on they will follow and keep doing what you do. You got the mighty touch son haha. I can't wait for the beta and upload some of my work ^^

Back