• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What do you like in custom OTS?

Mr Noxi

Noxus Otserver
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello!

for those who knows they know, for those who don’t, am creating my own custom OTS and I would like to know from the people actually playing on/have played on Custom made servers, what is it that makes you continue to play on a server, is it the mass content of the server, infinite hunting spots/questing, is it the something that makes you think “hmm this was actually fun and am going to continue playing on this server!” What is it that makes you think “hmm this was boring! Let’s try next one.” I have seen many servers with looots of content that just die out after a couple of good days with many players, even advertising the server and everything to get a good start. It has to be something that makes the player just go nah this was not for me.

Am talking about all kind of custom servers, not only low/mid/high rate OTS. It’s not that am out of ideasbut would be fun to see what other people enjoy. Is it the end game that is only fun or “ on the way to successfully achieve top ranks and go on a pvp path”?

Please do share your ideas and thoughts of what you like and ofc dislike and hate to see on a server :)

Thank you for taking ur time to read!

I can tell you the main reason why im not playing alot custom ots at all:

Resets. I dislike mostly resets

I prefer a server which has 50 players but stays online forever instead of resets every month or like every week

thats the main reason why im playing only highexp.net and spider-server.com @SpiderOT

I can tell you the main reason why im not playing alot custom ots at all:

Resets. I dislike mostly resets

I prefer a server which has 50 players but stays online forever instead of resets every month or like every week

thats the main reason why im playing only highexp.net and spider-server.com @SpiderOT
Ye I can totally agree with you on that, I have never understood the meaning of reset every x time. If it’s not because of server bugs/critical reasons within at least same month of launch date there is no point of resetting just to do the same shit all over again..

Ye I can totally agree with you on that, I have never understood the meaning of reset every x time. If it’s not because of server bugs/critical reasons within at least same month of launch date there is no point of resetting just to do the same shit all over again..

Yea
I just love looting stuff getting better and everything
but whats the point all of it when the server resets every two weeks
thats not the point of having fun.
Main reason only why im not playing Archlight server as example

BTW

other reasons why I don't play OTS at all

low rate servers are boring as hell and dying fast too :D
my opinion

A server with many hunting and mission locations is not enough, not even automatic events.

You need to find ways to strengthen the game's economy, so that players come up with different strategies to be able to enrich and arrest players, thus generating a dispute between them.

I have never understood the meaning of reset every x time
One of the main reasons is competitiveness nature of players, reset make everyone equal for a brief period of time and pvp oriented players have a chance of dominate the server on equal rules. Many players don't bother about having a specific level or complete every quest, they simply want to be better than anyone else and that's their main game goal, destroy every enemy guild and then leave because there is nothing else to do.

True, its effective in a way, but that's like basically fkn everyone else on the server that doesn't want to PVP but i guess it depends on what kind of server you are running.

In my opinion, two things are necessary - balanced pvp (its great when it comes with custom spells and mechanics) and a goal to reach - I see no point in playing if I have every spell, item and achivement thay can be unlocked.

True true, but what does it exactly require for PvP to be balanced? I feel that this is an issue that most custom servers has issue with since most probably there is modified dmg/dmg reduction/dmg penetration, extra dmg/defense etc for diffrent equipment etc etc but if u compare to rl ots there is less problem with pvp since it’s just basic equipment like rl tibia..

I can help you with several things I'm trying to implement making custom 8.0 OT, more RPG/fun than PvP, with decent feedback from the players that have already been playing there:
- too fast lvling makes players skip most of server content (low/mid lvl mobs, areas, quests, equipments) making it jumping routine like in my case: rotworms -> cyclops -> dragons -> dls -> endgame mobs, totally ignoring most of its content.
Problem mostly solved with proper map design, limited areas entrance (lvl/quests/other), slower exp rate at the beginning, more tasks on lower lvls.
Slower development at early stages also makes player feel stronger bound with character and also makes starting areas more populated.

- rewarding content (e.g. some sort of unique equipment) which is hard to obtain but gives satisfaction/feel of completion and visible boost in certain areas (utility/power/look etc.)
Make players set goals to which they will pursue, but do not make it easy or in the other hand - extremely hard to achieve. Let legendary custom items be really legendary and powerful, secret quests be mysterious and not obvious etc.

- no p2w/game facilitating paid shop content (in my case - if I ever run my server oficially it will never have any paid stuff, altough imo just cosmetic things or dontations for server are ok)
Casual players like myself will not feel underpowered from the start in compare to others. Also server seems more friendly to newcomers as it it will not be taken as cash-grab short term garbage ots.

- world setting - create multithreaded fabular content with many interactive characters/mysteries/questlines - not just go and kill or bring x items - be more creative and many visitors will be dug into it.
Let the player feel to be the part of your world, not just a stuff killer at random, meaningless areas.

- properly balanced tasks - do not make them to be the only way to achieve something or to create same path for everyone, but also don't tryhard too much (like similar 'kill 500 cyclops/ghouls/rots/scarabs' are nonsense at early stage where completing one task already lvls you to higher tier mobs)

- weekly/special/random events/raids etc. which will make player's day feel more varied

- stop information overdose aka in-game spam - imagine getting 9-10 screen-centered same notifications every 30 secs for 5 minutes about event which runs every 2 hrs in which noone will participate. Count x events amount. Just limit it to one/two chat notifications.
Main chat repeating server tips is also fun for first 2 hours of the game - later its just useless spam. Better make one info-base on the web or in-game helper NPC in temple.

- well made, legible webiste which can explain every/most of custom things in the game is always +

- definitely active administration is a gain for every type of server (chat with players/fast bugs fixes/expanding content)

- making players have impact on server development (eg. balance changes, new quests/items/npc/event ideas etc.)

- trustworthy, not cheating, fair administration - pros in every server.
Remember, any forms of cheating and giving advantages to friends will always come out and be the nail in your coffin.

- stable, well protected, low-ping server (ofc it can be attached to all servers).

These are my thoughts at this moment. Hope they will be helpful!

I can help you with several things I'm trying to implement making custom 8.0 OT, more RPG/fun than PvP, with decent feedback from the players that have already been playing there:
- too fast lvling makes players skip most of server content (low/mid lvl mobs, areas, quests, equipments) making it jumping routine like in my case: rotworms -> cyclops -> dragons -> dls -> endgame mobs, totally ignoring most of its content.
Problem mostly solved with proper map design, limited areas entrance (lvl/quests/other), slower exp rate at the beginning, more tasks on lower lvls.
Slower development at early stages also makes player feel stronger bound with character and also makes starting areas more populated.

- rewarding content (e.g. some sort of unique equipment) which is hard to obtain but gives satisfaction/feel of completion and visible boost in certain areas (utility/power/look etc.)
Make players set goals to which they will pursue, but do not make it easy or in the other hand - extremely hard to achieve. Let legendary custom items be really legendary and powerful, secret quests be mysterious and not obvious etc.

- no p2w/game facilitating paid shop content (in my case - if I ever run my server oficially it will never have any paid stuff, altough imo just cosmetic things or dontations for server are ok)
Casual players like myself will not feel underpowered from the start in compare to others. Also server seems more friendly to newcomers as it it will not be taken as cash-grab short term garbage ots.

- world setting - create multithreaded fabular content with many interactive characters/mysteries/questlines - not just go and kill or bring x items - be more creative and many visitors will be dug into it.
Let the player feel to be the part of your world, not just a stuff killer at random, meaningless areas.

- properly balanced tasks - do not make them to be the only way to achieve something or to create same path for everyone, but also don't tryhard too much (like similar 'kill 500 cyclops/ghouls/rots/scarabs' are nonsense at early stage where completing one task already lvls you to higher tier mobs)

- weekly/special/random events/raids etc. which will make player's day feel more varied

- stop information overdose aka in-game spam - imagine getting 9-10 screen-centered same notifications every 30 secs for 5 minutes about event which runs every 2 hrs in which noone will participate. Count x events amount. Just limit it to one/two chat notifications.
Main chat repeating server tips is also fun for first 2 hours of the game - later its just useless spam. Better make one info-base on the web or in-game helper NPC in temple.

- well made, legible webiste which can explain every/most of custom things in the game is always +

- definitely active administration is a gain for every type of server (chat with players/fast bugs fixes/expanding content)

- making players have impact on server development (eg. balance changes, new quests/items/npc/event ideas etc.)

Remember, any forms of cheating and giving advantages to friends will always come out and be the nail in your coffin.

- stable, well protected, low-ping server (ofc it can be attached to all servers).

Dude! Thx, that’s some info there 😂 I appreciate that u took ur time to write that :)

I loved your comment. I'll even save it in Notepad.

Back