• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What makes real tibia map so successful in regards to OTS? (compared to custom maps)

What makes real tibia map so successful in regards to OTS? (compared to custom maps)

• well designed (plenty of space, big hunting grounts)

• well known - don't need to explore and discover things from scratch

• suitable for any experience rate

• immensity and diversity of environment, cities, nature

• amount and/or quality of quests

• amount of (unsolved) mysteries, plots

• there is no custom map matching quality of real tibia map

• other (please specify in post)

• I prefer custom maps

Results are only viewable after voting.
Added a little statement to my previous post. Anyway, when I joined this community about ten years ago, "real map servers" were rare and difficult to come by. We all began with YurOTS or something else, which was essentially just a basic server with a boring map. But it was good enough for those with the passion and desire to build in order to build more. The community was very different. It has been interesting growing up with and seeing how this community evolved. Despite the challenges we face today, I am and will forever be grateful to have been a part of this community. Open-source communities have nearly unlimited potential when it comes to development, you just have to see it.

If you replace the common YurOTS data pack from about ten years ago with "real map" data packs today, we find ourselves in a very similar position with far greater resources at our disposal. The only element missing is the individual's desire to build something better. That "drive" I mentioned before is what members possessed back then which allowed this community to not only survive but thrive. If you want to see OTS's online ten years from now, we can't rely on a few senior members to carry the weight. They'll grow tired and move on. The members of this community will determine whether it survives or dies. Not any single individual. We have to take the initiative to build for ourselves as a community with one common goal. It's give and take, and there's been too much take as of late.

If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. It all adds up.

Last edited:
When I joined this community about ten years ago, "real map servers" were rare and difficult to come by. We all began with YurOTS or something else, which was essentially just a basic server with a boring map. But it was good enough for those with the passion and desire to build in order to build more. The community was very different. It has been interesting growing up with and seeing how this community evolved. Despite the challenges we face today, I am and will forever be grateful to have been a part of this community. Open-source communities have nearly unlimited potential when it comes to development, you just have to see it.

Edit: If you replace the common YurOTS data pack from about ten years ago with "real map" data packs today, we find ourselves in a very similar position with far greater resources at our disposal. The only element missing is the individual's desire to build something better. That "drive" I mentioned before is what members possessed back then which allowed this community to not only survive but thrive. If you want to see OTS's online ten years from now, people can't rely on a few senior members to do all of the work.

Oh, trust me, I remember these times and even times before that - when monsters didn't drop loot and you had "coins counter" increased when killed a monster! I don't recall much from these times, but I think it was around Tibia 7.1 back then. But I believe most of the people who contributed to the rapid growth of OpenTibia during that time are long gone and the you are completely right, relying on people that are still here (few of them) or evolved along with OpenTibia to the level required to actually build stuff is not the way to go.

Well, it's a nice and refreshing conversation, although I'm pretty sure we went way off-topic here. So while it's very constructive and valuable, I'd say we stick to the topic before we are forced to take it further and report ourselves ;)

I feel that back when OT-Servers first started more people enjoyed playing Cipsoft's tibia.

But now Cipsoft's Tibia has a ton of updates people do not like, so there is a huge market for RL Map Servers where people can play the older style of Tibia.

There are basically more types of tibia servers now than ever before.
  1. Cipsoft Tibia Servers
  2. RL Tibia Servers (New Version)
  3. 8.6 Tibia Servers
  4. 7.6(or earlier) Tibia Servers
  5. Custom RPG Tibia Servers
  6. War Tibia Servers
  7. Rookguard Tibia Servers
  8. Custom RL Map Tibia Servers (Servers that use the RL Map but are otherwise custom)
The list can go on. I feel like in the past, when we started there were really only 3 types of tibia servers.
  1. RL Map Tibia Server
  2. Custom RPG Tibia Server
  3. War Server

Buming this thread again cuz why not. Maybe the opinions have changed with the years! 🤔

Every server could be successful Real tibia map or not. you just need to have a nice an understanding Webpage a custom client and a good marketing to have all signs pointing to your server and not tibia. those big server that you see at OTservlist they spread their marketing thru Facebook probably Instagram and more. when people create a server they rush it. i had one server matter fact i still working on it and i took it down because when i analyzed it by putting myself in the costumer's mind. i felt like it was rushed no awsome cave no nice detailed cities. not cool houses and no cool interesting open world to explore.

my suggestion is take your time. you building a game. it doesn't take 2 months to build it.
could take a year or more depend of how big is your team.

open a bitbucket.com/github.com setup a repository, to do list, and add things whenever you can. Don't rush it.

i got two jobs and non of them are programmer i get 30 min and i work on my repository when i can. :p get yourself a laptop

Back