• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What's New / New Posts subforum filtering

Lessaire

Omniscient Hypervisor
Solutions
Reaction score
I would be most grateful if there was a way to filter certain forums from What's new / New posts without having to use the Watched Content filter and subscribing to literally everything else.

Basically, I'd like to be able to not see the Advertisements forum in that particular section. I come here to see new things in the way of code, tools, and maps, and perhaps help people if possible. I have very little interest in playing most of the OTs that show up in Advertisements, and most of the time I don't want to see that forum. When I do, I'll go visit it explicitly. I need a blacklist of 1 instead of a whitelist of 90.

I can't find the version, but I'm guessing the Xenforo install here is newer than 1.5. It looks like they have discussed this feature before in this thread.
Morgain @ Xenforo said:
I think that Whats New is so various it's better to cut out what we don't want as it arises.
Yes. Exactly this. In that thread this addon is mentioned. But it stops support at Xenforo 1.5.

This addon looks actively maintained, and while it doesn't include the functionality I'm seeking, it would seem to be in the scope of the project. I bet they could be asked about it.
This addon appears as though it would accomplish what I'm after. I'll buy forum premium membership right now if you need the $10.

Apparently there is one more addon that seems to be capable of this I missed in my first search. It has only three reviews but all of them are glowing.

For anyone else of a similar mindset, this self service solution works alright. But if you use any sort of extension that auto loads more pages, it won't get the new stuff. I don't feel like writing the MutationObserver callback that would be needed right now, lel.

Userscript:
JavaScript:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         OTLand-WhatsNewFilter
// @namespace    OTLand-Lessaire
// @version      0.1
// @description  Drop Ads
// @author       Lessaire
// @match        https://otland.net/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

'use strict';

(function() {

const correctVenue = jQuery('body').attr('data-template').match(/whats_new|whats_new_posts/);

if(correctVenue){

jQuery('.structItem-startDate').each((index, item)=>{
            const node = jQuery(item);
            if(node.siblings().text().match(/Advert/)){
                node.parents('.structItem--thread').remove();
            }
        });

}

})();

I've reviewed the addons you posted. One is unmaintained, one doesn't seem to do what you're saying, one is paid with little benefit.
I'm not really convinced that one addon that still works is worth installing. I see you've gotten a workaround.

I linked 4 addons, and 3 of them are maintained.

The first I was quite forward about being ancient and likely unusable.

The second, appears to be free, is maintained (updated February 2020), does not accomplish this goal, but the feature would be in scope for the project. So I suggested the developer could be contacted and inquired as to whether they would be willing to add it. If this feature seems like something you would add, I would expend the effort to proceed on that front and contact them.

The third, costs money ($10+$5/yr ?), is maintained (updated January 2020), and accomplishes the goal. The developer seems to be extraordinarily prolific in the amount of content they create for Xenforo, and their UI addon is the most highly rated addon in the market. However, at the time of this writing, their own website with the info about pricing of the addon is a Cloudflare error. 😒

The fourth, costs money ($25), is maintained (updated March 2020), and also accomplishes the goal.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to look at my thread Don Daniello. If I just enhance my userscript to grab a few more pages and filter those too, my need for this feature will be greatly diminished. And I've been looking for an excuse to play with the new Fetch API anyway.

Back