• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Why I shouldn't run server engine as root user

pasiak12

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello forum users!

Everytime I run the server I receive the message
WARNING: The Forgotten Server has been executed as root user! It is recommended to execute as a normal user.

I would like to ask you WHY I should consider running the tfs as normal user?
What consequences could happen if I keep running tfs as root?

Solution
Hi Pasiak,

The problem with running anything as the root user is this:

The root user is a big security hole since he can access everything on the system. And if you get hacked in anyway a public service like OTServ will be the first thing they will try too abuse.

For example think of it like this:
HackerX find a vulnerability in the code of otserv that makes it so he can execute system commands though a certain application call.
If the server is running as root he can send something like rm -rf /* and he will be able to destroy anything he wants on the server.

But if you are running the otserv as user ot1 and that use can only access /home/ot1/*
he can't do much on your system.
Hi Pasiak,

The problem with running anything as the root user is this:

The root user is a big security hole since he can access everything on the system. And if you get hacked in anyway a public service like OTServ will be the first thing they will try too abuse.

For example think of it like this:
HackerX find a vulnerability in the code of otserv that makes it so he can execute system commands though a certain application call.
If the server is running as root he can send something like rm -rf /* and he will be able to destroy anything he wants on the server.

But if you are running the otserv as user ot1 and that use can only access /home/ot1/*
he can't do much on your system.

Solution
Back