• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Will cipsoft eliminate Otservers?

wafuboe

Solutions
Reaction score
Recently i saw a video about cipsoft trying to shut down the otserver community, targeting otlist and otland.
The video showed the fact that in the recruitment for cipsoft team, theire searching for a lawyer for legal cases.}}Im scared this is true?

Recently i saw a video about cipsoft trying to shut down the otserver community, targeting otlist and otland.
The video showed the fact that in the recruitment for cipsoft team, theire searching for a lawyer for legal cases.}}Im scared this is true?
How is posting a job offer for a lawyer an indicator of targeting Otland or server lists? I don't follow the causation here.

Could you link the video?

they've had many years to nip ots in the bud, why would they start now?
even if they were to shut down ot servers, they still wouldn't be able to forever, there are people developing all new clients (OTC & there's also been a unity client in development for some time)
if they were to force us to shut down servers due to using their clients, it would only be a matter of time before the community decides to complete the new clients and create new sprites so we can use them without getting screwed by cipsoft
it would however be a massive hit to the ot community, but it still wouldn't completely die out

Good luck CipSoft shutting down 1,200 OT servers!
Can't wait to watch that one!

Cipsoft already attempted to close down OTServers.

But TFS is not illegal to use, which is what we run.

As long as you do not provide a link to the Tibia Client on your website, then you aren't using anything Cipsoft owns.
It is the PLAYER that decides to modify the Tibia Client by changing the IP. So it wouldn't be Cipsoft going after OTServers or OTLand, they would have to go after the tens of thousands of players that are using the normal tibia client somehow. Which basically cannot happen. It is not legally possible to pursue all the people in all the countries all over the world playing tibia, to shut down each individual person that is using a Tibia Client to play an OTServer.

And, even if they did, we would use the OTClient, and probably develop an even better client. We are a community of programmers, artists, game developers, and when we face a challenge, we will demolish that challenge faster than anyone can anticipate.

I guarantee you, if for some reason the Tibia Client is unusable tomorrow, within a month we would have a Flash Client, an Unity Client, an updated and optimized OTClient, and there would be 2-3 other Client Start-Ups from other people on OTLand. We also have more artists in OTLand than ever before, and they are more talented than ever before.

A LOT of us have been here for a long time, and we slowly get better at what we do. There is absolutely no fear of this community being shut down, we will continue to grow, becoming more skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable.

As long as you do not provide a link to the Tibia Client on your website, then you aren't using anything Cipsoft owns.
You can link to the client, that's not redistributing it, so it's not illegal.

It is the PLAYER that decides to modify the Tibia Client by changing the IP.
IP Changer's don't modify the client, they modify computer's memory. Cipsoft can't possibly own your memory, so that's also legal.

IP Changer's don't modify the client, they modify computer's memory. Cipsoft can't possibly own your memory, so that's also legal.
I'm bit curious, if we add custom sprites to the current sprites and provide link to the "custom" client. Does it still count as modificate the client? Also display their sprites on the website is illegal?

I'm bit curious, if we add custom sprites to the current sprites and provide link to the "custom" client. Does it still count as modificate the client? Also display their sprites on the website is illegal?

As I wrote on another thread about the same topic:

Cipsoft can close any otserver due to being able to prove that all of them use the same network protocol, which's been reverse/backward engineered, any small Audit would do it.

Not to mention that such process would cost CipSoft A LOT of money to just start, and the incomes from it would be pretty much 0.
It's not like they're opening a case towards a multi million company.

And we all know CipSoft is pretty cash-hungry now days, so that's one of the biggest reason why Cip would never start a case.

As long as there is any sprite created by them in the OTClient, it would be violating their copyright (the exclusive right to distribute). That's why you won't find spr in official GitHub repo for OTClient.

Cipsoft can close any otserver due to being able to prove that all of them use the same network protocol, which's been reverse/backward engineered, any small Audit would do it.
I would disagree. Using the protocol does not mean you are copying anything tangible. You are copying an idea for the protocol, but not the implementation. Only a patent could give them legal right to take any action in this case. A patent which I don't think they have. The patent would be useless for them anyway and as a side-effect we wouldn't have to reverse engineer anything anymore. The patent application alone would expose every tiny detail of the protocol. I wish they had one.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it is true.
So editing something on a SSD can be illegal, but editing the same thing imported to RAM is legal? That makes literally zero sense.
Why does RAM have different laws applied to it than a Hard Drive?

Also, even if somehow under some weird new RAM-Only Exception law it was allowed to steal and use Copyrighted software as if it was your own.
Using an exact duplicate of Cipsoft's map, NPCs, and monster-names is probably illegal. Hell, even Cipsoft had to change the Beholder to be a Bonelord because the NAME Beholder was copyrighted. You think we can literally make an exact replica of their game and call it our own, and get away with it?

If Cipsoft had infinite money, we'd be shut down. I agree with the above that they won't shut us down because there is no profit in it.

I simply suggested that EVEN IF, they had infinite money and shut us down, we'd be back on our feet within a month.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it is true.
So editing something on a SSD can be illegal, but editing the same thing imported to RAM is legal? That makes literally zero sense.

Also, even if somehow under some weird new RAM-Only Exception law it was allowed to steal and use Copyrighted software as if it was your own.
Using an exact duplicate of Cipsoft's map, NPCs, and monster-names is probably illegal. Hell, even Cipsoft had to change the Beholder to be a Bonelord because the NAME Beholder was copyrighted. You think we can literally make an exact replica of their game and call it our own, and get away with it?

If Cipsoft had infinite money, we'd be shut down. I agree with the above that they won't shut us down because there is no profit in it.

I simply suggested that EVEN IF, they had infinite money and shut us down, we'd be back on our feet within a month.

I just had to make this one for your comment!
x1slIWB.png

No, I never said editing the client is illegal. It's not, you can do whatever you want with it. Reverse engineering is completely legal too. Under some jurisdictions, circumventing software protection may be illegal (USA) but there's no such thing in the client. So you can modify the client all you want, as long as you don't redistribute it in its verbatim or modified version. Since you do it on your own computer and in your own RAM, you are definitely not redistributing it.

You're not stealing the software, Cipsoft grants you (and every player) the license to use it every time you download it from their website. Server owners don't use the client at all to run the server.

Using an exact duplicate of Cipsoft's map, NPCs, and monster-names is probably illegal.
Map: It's not actually a duplicate of the map. We have our own items.otb which tie our own server IDs to the client IDs. You could say that we copy client IDs. Well, anybody can right down all the integers in the int32 range. We have our own format for the map: "otbm". If you compared their map byte-by-byte, they would be entirely different. The fact that they might render to look the same in THEIR own client is a result of how THEIR client works. The server is in fact sending similar bytes to the client as their official game servers. However, those are just numbers - so int32 range again. All the graphics are in the client, we're not sending those. The NPCs again - we haven't copied any code. Copying product "like" may violate a trademark or design patent, but they don't have any of those on the NPCs nor monsters. Monster names can't be copyrighted - they could be trademarks as well, but they're not.

Hell, even Cipsoft had to change the Beholder to be a Bonelord because the NAME Beholder was copyrighted.
Beholder probably was a trademark. You can't have hold copyright for a word.

You think we can literally make an exact replica of their game and call it our own, and get away with it?
It's definitely not exact replica. It may be similar but as you actually look into what is on client side and what is on server side, you'd notice that nothing is copied on the server side.
There probably exist stupid courts and judges who could rule in favor of them while being totally oblivious to the technical details of the games, but that shouldn't happen and I hope it won't.

Beholder probably was a trademark. You can't have hold copyright for a word.

Actually it's Dungeons and Dragons that have copyright on beholder, so it's not a trademark, it's an mythological creature name that somehow... got copyrighted even thou it should be impossible to get copyright on such names.

To calm eveyone down for the moment, I just wrote a mail to cipsoft regarding all the information we need, I just hope they answer, I'll post the whole content and translate it from german to readable english.

.otbm + .otb have been converted from the real files as they were rolled out. We ARE using content from cipsoft, it's been reverse engineered and there are laws all around the world for "Geistiges Eigentum" which means "Intellectual Property" and they DO have the rights over it, IF they patented their shit.

Keep calm and I'll post it as soon as I get new Info.

Actually it's Dungeons and Dragons that have copyright on beholder, so it's not a trademark, it's an mythological creature name that somehow... got copyrighted even thou it should be impossible to get copyright on such names.
It's either possible or it's not. In law, there may be different interpretations, but the outcome must be determined. It can't be "between".
Of course, trademark and copyright law depends on country, jurisdiction...

However, almost every jurisdiction has certain requirements for trademarks and original work basis. Just look at Beholder (video game) - Wikipedia - how did they manage to use the name, especially in the game context? Copyright lasts almost 100 years, so it wouldn't have expired by now.

Also, it's a word: beholder - Wiktionary

To calm eveyone down for the moment, I just wrote a mail to cipsoft regarding all the information we need, I just hope they answer, I'll post the whole content and translate it from german to readable english.

.otbm + .otb have been converted from the real files as they were rolled out. We ARE using content from cipsoft, it's been reverse engineered and there are laws all around the world for "Geistiges Eigentum" which means "Intellectual Property" and they DO have the rights over it, IF they patented their shit.

Keep calm and I'll post it as soon as I get new Info.
we're using .otbm for map, CipSoft uses .sec (not entirely sure how the format within the files work compared to otbm thou)
but we're using 1 map file, CipSoft are using thousands 32x32 tile maps.

You can't patent software. You can't patent files. You can't patent content. You can ONLY patent ideas or design...

Back