• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OtLand XenForo 2 and forum changes

Happy New Year everyone!

As you probably noticed, the forum looks a bit different now. We have upgraded to XenForo 2 and you can now enjoy some new features.

Noteworthy changes
  1. There is a new skin (style) of Otland and it is very mobile-friendly. We will likely stay with this one because alternatives for XenForo 2 are not convincing, nor needed.
    I am aware that many of you would like to see a "dark" theme. Unfortunately, there are no good quality dark themes possible. If anyone has design skills allowing them to redesign the default style for darker colors and the effect would be aesthetically pleasant, we want to hear from you!
  2. Keyboard Shortcut System
    • M - Open the visitor menu
    • , (Comma) - Open the inbox/conversation menu
    • . (Period/full-stop) - Open the alerts menu
    • / (Forward slash) - Open the search menu
    • ALT+Z - Open the style chooser
    • ALT+X - Open the language chooser
    • ⌘+ENTER (Mac) or CTRL+ENTER (Windows) Submit the current form while in a <textarea> element (normally, ENTER will submit any form, but while you're in a <textarea>, the ENTER key simply inserts a new line)
    • keys 1 to 0 will activate the corresponding tab (or tab menu) from the primary navigation strip, while ALT+1 to 0 will activate the corresponding item from the sub-navigation strip.
  3. Improved code syntax highlighting. It should work for all languages that are commonly used around here, including Lua, and now looks better.
  4. Emoji support 👏
  5. Search functionality was improved
    1. Added time-based relevancy filter. Newer content will be slightly preferred but keep in mind that a lot of "very old" (>5 years) content is still very relevant and useful today.
    2. Added stemming for English language and automatic handling of accents (which should help other languages for search).
  6. "Best Answer" functionality in Support board is currently unavailable. We may or may not bring it back (share your thoughts!).
  7. The tags no longer appear on the forum view (AKA thread list). This may or may not come back.
    It was initially added for better visibility of "attached" tag. Not that all content is using attachments, it's no longer needed.
  8. Attachments currently don't show a link to a scan on Virustotal. That will come back soon.
A list of upstream XenForo 2 news is here: XF 2.0 - What's new in XenForo 2.0 (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-new-in-xenforo-2-0.133426/)

Still important facts
Since we doubled down on attachments, we have saved a lot of resources from dying due to expiring links or hosting sites going offline. We currently have 20-30k attachments on Otland, providing great number of resources for you to download not worrying about dead links.

The next problem to tackle seems to be massively dying images. We have all those downloads (of website layouts, maps, datapacks) but all the screenshots are often dead. That's a problem - obviously - as you don't know what you're downloading. We may address it by enforcing using a specific reputable image hosting site, such as imgur. Attachments are not always the best way for that purpose - a lot images are too large and they are not compressed/resized via attachments.

Near future
XenForo 2.1 will be coming out soon and will bring us a lot of more changes, including bookmarking posts and desktop notifications. We will be getting that upgrade as soon as it comes out.

Updates
  • Best Answers and links to Virustotal scans are available now.
  • Added Discord field to user profile instead of some useless old ones
  • Added line numbers to [code]

Last edited:
Isn't it possible to use a "public access" google drive? That way you basically have "unlimited" space for free. Not sure if its even possible tho. Could be a nice way to save some money.

Isn't it possible to use a "public access" google drive? That way you basically have "unlimited" space for free. Not sure if its even possible tho. Could be a nice way to save some money.

Sadly I think that in order to make it work the way you're imagining it, you'd have to create a "G Suite" for Enterprises and Organizations, which costs money per month, per user. So if you want everyone on the site to have access, you'd have to fork out quite a bit of money.

Even if they used a regular user account with API access for uploads, they'd run into bandwidth issues, and also issues with account closure if someone (say CipSoft) decides to report it.

That theme is not the same quality as the default one we use and looks different. We want a dark color scheme for a same layout/browsing experience.

May I propose a color scheme that can be applied in a clone/child-theme of the main theme? Alot of members are annoyed by the hard whites, so I'm working on a color palette to rewrite all CSS selectors for the existing theme.

1d83de0e85a5234df8fb9ebabbbea6f8.png

The example shown above is done via a browser plugin for writing CSS real-time. Although it's pretty simple for now, I'd love to hear opinions.

May I propose a color scheme that can be applied in a clone/child-theme of the main theme? Alot of members are annoyed by the hard whites, so I'm working on a color palette to rewrite all CSS selectors for the existing theme.

1d83de0e85a5234df8fb9ebabbbea6f8.png

The example shown above is done via a browser plugin for writing CSS real-time. Although it's pretty simple for now, I'd love to hear opinions.
eFfmdb3.jpg

May I propose a color scheme that can be applied in a clone/child-theme of the main theme?
Yes, but it must come in a form of configuration options XenForo supports, not just plain CSS. That's kinda the way I was planning to do this but my designing skills would suck, so I didn't do it yet. But if you do, there's a big chance I can make it available.

1546921464596.png

Yes, but it must come in a form of configuration options XenForo supports, not just plain CSS. That's kinda the way I was planning to do this but my designing skills would suck, so I didn't do it yet. But if you do, there's a big chance I can make it available.

View attachment 33734

Is there all colors? Because I found colors on main page that are not on that list.

Is there all colors? Because I found colors on main page that are not on that list.
There are many more options. It's hard to do without seeing this. I'd suggest you sign up to get a free demo of XenForo on their site so you can just test it live.

There are many more options. It's hard to do without seeing this. I'd suggest you sign up to get a free demo of XenForo on their site so you can just test it live.

MpXkCMl.png

gigxOzb.png

If you want that style that I made, I have the style file to import.
I sent you an friendship invitation on Discord.

MpXkCMl.png

gigxOzb.png

If you want that style that I made, I have the style file to import.
I sent you an friendship invitation on Discord.
Sorry, I have too many on Discord. Can you PM me your Discord username? I'm not sure which one looks better. I can send you the one we use now (the Dark) and then you can edit it if you wish and we can have a poll which one to choose.

Sorry, I have too many on Discord. Can you PM me your Discord username? I'm not sure which one looks better. I can send you the one we use now (the Dark) and then you can edit it if you wish and we can have a poll which one to choose.

1546955320172.png

Can't. And, as you see, my nick is also not good to just send you (and I like this reason).
But I'm at the "(Open)Tibia" Discord, and always as the last one online contact.
I also recently sent messages at their general channel.

Last edited:
Hello, OTLanders.
I made the theme below and I want your opinion.

Do you prefer the current Dark Theme or like more the one I made?
This is important because you will choose what the Dark Theme is the best.

---

1547014436455.png
(UPDATED PICTURE, see post edit time)

1546984853104.png
* (old picture: there is no more gray background, logo padding was fixed)

1546984862286.png

1546984871512.png

1546984879737.png

1546984900652.png

1546984910712.png

1546984920114.png

If you didn't like a particular thing on this theme, just share and we'll discuss the best option.
I'm just trying to make something nice for our forum.
For example, I think maybe I'll add a padding to the logo area, because some people suggested.

---

The actual dark theme is this one:

1546985050297.png

Well, I'm waiting your decision, guys.

Regards,
River.

Last edited:
Good work on the update.

I feel like elements lack spacing between them in the default theme. It also gives me some vintage vibes which is not so bad in my opinion, it's okay.
I found a few errors (?) as well, such as some alerts with centered alert icon but the text is slightly leaning towards the upper bound of the alert box.

The dark theme is very dark, it's fine in my opinion. However, some alerts are improperly colored I suppose (like the update announcement on top of the forum list).

its possible to change this "well-known member" text somewhere?? im cant find it after this update! but this update is very good, makes forum tons of better! ignored the haters. i also love blue layout!

and green text is very good on blue layout i suggst all use green text i love it

Back