• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

XML and SQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatsu

Reaction score
Hi, could somebody explain to me whats the difference between XML and SQL servers? how do they work differently?

well SQL is something that you need an external Mysql/SQLite Admin(phpMyAdmin) system for editing (or using a admin panel) SQL also loads faster and its very easy to edit once you get the MySQL and phpMyAdmin system working.

XML is files that is stored in your data/ directory, where the player and account is saved, XML files is also used for NPC's, Monsters, etc.

gatsu said:
with SQL I can upload the server on my webhost and run it from there? :eek:
and have it online even if I shut down my computer??
Probably not.
This is because you cant run the otserver on that webhost (some may offer that, but more expensive).
But you can use the MySql server on the webhost to store the players and accounts. Still, you must run the otserv from your comp. But I'd rather recommend installing sql on your comp and use either MySQL Query Browser or PhpMyAdmin (runs by a webserver, if you have xampp, you have all you need) to manage it.

I prefer installing mysql, apache and php seprately, but can be harder to make it work properly. I do it because I think xampp is insecure. Even if you set a password on the root account, so can you often do whatever you want with the pma account that has no password.

Correct me if I'm wrong.: :)

@those who have problem with MySQL: You can use SqLite, it does not require any external server running, all you need is the database file and in forgottenserver that will be included since 0.2.3 release for those having problems with MySQL.

why would I want to have the players and account on another host when I simply can have them on my own computer and access them very easy...?

gatsu said:
why would I want to have the players and account on another host when I simply can have them on my own computer and access them very easy...?
I said it was possible to do it, I didn't say I recommended to do it.
But accessing it on another host can be just as easy as to access it on your own comp when you've set it up.

Jonern said:
gatsu said:
But accessing it on another host can be just as easy as to access it on your own comp when you've set it up.

and this means that sql is good for nothing when you can have everything on my computer just as accessable as if it was on a sql host somewhere..?

and dont just say its better, explain please :S

gatsu said:
Jonern said:
gatsu said:

and this means that sql is good for nothing when you can have everything on my computer just as accessable as if it was on a sql host somewhere..?

and dont just say its better, explain please :S

Sql servers saves alot faster than the xml ones, its one of many others advantages, when ur server get big, uill waste alot of space with xml archives, the sql ones in terms of size they are alot smaller :)
another advantage its that u can easily edit files and the security from hackers and etc :D

When you use Sql, you have a program doing all the work with the data. When you are using XML, the server has to save the data on the disk every time. This takes much longer time than when another program handles it.
It is also much easier to make major changes to all the players. If you want to completly remove an item, because it is bugged, all you need to do is to write a small string of letters and press enter. In XML typically, you'd have to change every single file.

So, install mysql (or xampp, and you'll get the whole package) on your comp now and have a better life with OTs!

Jonern said:
When you use Sql, you have a program doing all the work with the data. When you are using XML, the server has to save the data on the disk every time. This takes much longer time than when another program handles it.
It is also much easier to make major changes to all the players. If you want to completly remove an item, because it is bugged, all you need to do is to write a small string of letters and press enter. In XML typically, you'd have to change every single file.

So, install mysql (or xampp, and you'll get the whole package) on your comp now and have a better life with OTs!

ah ok =) thank you for this! I do have xampp and will see if I manage to understand how it works later today ^^

Sql servers saves alot faster than the xml ones, its one of many others advantages, when ur server get big, uill waste alot of space with xml archives, the sql ones in terms of size they are alot smaller :)
another advantage its that u can easily edit files and the security from hackers and etc :D

thank you too =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back