• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Remere's Map Editor 3.0 Source?

Shinmaru

エロルアー Scripter!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Remere released source files for his Map Editor 3.0? if so where can I get it, I plan to compile under Linux.

I wonder how many market threads we'd get if it was open source still. "best rme, bugfix bla bla bla 20$!!!"

I wonder how many market threads we'd get if it was open source still. "best rme, bugfix bla bla bla 20$!!!"
That would violate Remere's licence, most software go under some license, so no one can sell some bug fix, what they can do is fork it, make it in their own way, close source it and then they may sell it.

That would violate Remere's licence, most software go under some license, so no one can sell some bug fix, what they can do is fork it, make it in their own way, close source it and then they may sell it.
"Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money? (#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney)
Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)"
Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Even if it was against the law, you think that would stop people from trying to sell it?

"Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money? (#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney)
Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)"
Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Even if it was against the law, you think that would stop people from trying to sell it?

If you read a little lower you will find this:
Does the GPL allow me to distribute copies under a nondisclosure agreement? (#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA)
No. The GPL says that anyone who receives a copy from you has the right to redistribute copies, modified or not. You are not allowed to distribute the work on any more restrictive basis.

If someone asks you to sign an NDA for receiving GPL-covered software copyrighted by the FSF, please inform us immediately by writing to [email protected].

If the violation involves GPL-covered code that has some other copyright holder, please inform that copyright holder, just as you would for any other kind of violation of the GPL.

Does the GPL allow me to distribute a modified or beta version under a nondisclosure agreement? (#DoesTheGPLAllowModNDA)
No. The GPL says that your modified versions must carry all the freedoms stated in the GPL. Thus, anyone who receives a copy of your version from you has the right to redistribute copies (modified or not) of that version. You may not distribute any version of the work on a more restrictive basis.

Those will be the last $20 he will ever make!

His 1.9 sources at Sourceforge is really buggy, I've tried all my knowledge to compile it, nothing.
Also, A LOT of stuff has changed since 1.9, so it won't be nearly as good as 3.0.
Good luck

Given how old the code is now (what with the numerous beta releases of 3.0), you would think he could at least release the source to 2.1 since that's the latest Linux version,

Back