• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux 1 core or multicore?

Kuantikum

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a question related to the host of an OTSERVER. Which configuration would be most effective when hosting the otserver in relation to the processor. 1 core or multcore or is there no difference in performance? I have understood that TFS use only 1 processor core even though it is multicore, is this true?

I greatly appreciate your information, thx!

The cores are the cores in your CPU. You want all of them handling the server so that information is processed faster. It will take more power from your system but the difference in performance is night and day. Using only single core would be if a server is doing more than just running the game and the single core is good enough to give the same kind of performance. Most CPU's have 4 cores, higher end ones now have anywhere from 8-32 or even more.

Lets say you are using only 1core. Then you open an application or something that uses that core heavily. The servers performance would drop drastically because the core it is running on is processing so much stuff. Running on all cores allows the resources of the server into all of the cores. So if one gets a heavy load you still have 3 more cores that can process the resources.

This is related to the "high" utilization/priority config option too. That makes your computer focus its resources on the server before anything else. If you set it to low the computer would focus on other things before the server - dropping the performance of the server.

The cores are the cores in your CPU. You want all of them handling the server so that information is processed faster. It will take more power from your system but the difference in performance is night and day. Using only single core would be if a server is doing more than just running the game and the single core is good enough to give the same kind of performance. Most CPU's have 4 cores, higher end ones now have anywhere from 8-32 or even more.

Lets say you are using only 1core. Then you open an application or something that uses that core heavily. The servers performance would drop drastically because the core it is running on is processing so much stuff. Running on all cores allows the resources of the server into all of the cores. So if one gets a heavy load you still have 3 more cores that can process the resources.

This is related to the "high" utilization/priority config option too. That makes your computer focus its resources on the server before anything else. If you set it to low the computer would focus on other things before the server - dropping the performance of the server.

Very well explained, I understand perfectly, thank you very much!
Post automatically merged:

2-4 cores should be the minimum
Excellent, great to know. thx you very much!

Back