• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

10.98 Custom openworld MappingThread

MrVilhelm

Mafia Penguin
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
MrVilhelm
Hey! :D

Ehm so I started mapping a little while back and personally I feel like Im not developing anymore.
So I thought that I would post some of my work for you guys to judge 😁

Be meme dont be mean 👉👈

Just joking, Im hoping on getting some notes on what I can work a little extra on 😜
Heyy and if you see something you happen to like I would really much appreciate some luv aswell 👉😁👈

Hmm not seeking luv, what no?!

Okey anyways, with that gibberish out of the way lets get started shall we?

Picture of the lost hero Marvin the Great
Otlandbilder1.png
Entrance to Trolls cave
Otlandbilder2.png
City Sewers
Otlandbilder3.png
Minotaur mountain (I Have a lot of pics of this one cuz Im so happy with how it turned out 🤗)
Otlandbilder4.png
Otlandbilder5.png
Otlandbilder6.png
Otlandbilder21.png
A few of the houses in the big capital city of the Good
Otlandbilder7.png
Otlandbilder8.png
Otlandbilder9.png

Moving over to some more of that scary stuff. (Spawns)
Otlandbilder10.png
Otlandbilder18.png
Otlandbilder33.png
Otlandbilder25.png
Otlandbilder34.png
Otlandbilder32.png
Old Temple ruins
Otlandbilder11.png
Otlandbilder12.png
Entrance to Goblins cave
Otlandbilder13.png
Nature
Otlandbilder15.png
I can't attach more pics so if anybody is interested just comment down below, cuz I have a lot more if you wanna see 🤓

Anywho, thank you for your time, hope you've liked what you've seen 😘

I can see you have the ideas, you just need a bit of work in the editor to get the mapping to the point where it matches your mind, am i right?

I bet the first image is one of your earlier works, idea behind it is great, but it looks autoborders (which it is) and having wooden floor and those borders, just not very eye pleasing.
Making a bridge here instead would make for a better scenery, also alternating between thick and thin grass borders would make it a bit better.
The half walls on top of the mountain looks good, but the mountain itself could use some work, if you study other mappers work like nr.7 in the november contest. you have a great example on how to make your mountains look better, alternating with smaller stones and not just use the "regular ones".

The city sewers i see you are starting to use more then one floor which is great, this is a super effective way to make your map look more in depth, having some wooden poles going into the water under the bridge would emphasize the use of different floors and same goes with the minotaur hunting spot.

Glad you liked the minotaur mountain, i think its important to enjoy your own creations, however i will make some pointers on that one aswell but its pretty much the same as for the city sewers.
The floors kind of blend together making it a bit off to look at.. Try to find a nice balance and contrast to make sure the viewer get a clear view of what floor is which.. (this is not always needed, but in this case i think it is)

The biggest tips i can give you is start mapping using RAW, you've seen people say it all over the forum i bet, but its because its true, mapping in raw takes your mapping to the next level.
study other mappers work and techniques is a great way to improve aswell.

If you need any help, tips or someone to bounce some ideas around with you can always send me a PM, Would like to see more from you and see you getting better.

First of all, THANKS for replying it means a lot! ^^

Secondly, thanks for the great tips and tricks, Im not at my main pc right now but gonna test out everything when Im back in RME.

Yea I know people say auto borders suck, but aint there any point where they could actually work, I mean lets say mapping a mountain, I think the mountain borders are just so weird, I have no idea what to put where when it comes to those for example. But yea I can understand what you mean with the bridge and the water borders, would you recommend putting a little bridge or should I just put grass, I mean its supposed to look not too worked you know. So Im thinking a bridge would might ruin the feeling.

Ohh yeaa I know I had a tiny problem with the floors at the minotaur mountain, I tried fixing it with the mountain borders and it kinda worked but how could I work around this in any other way? I mean an easy fix is using another floor obv, but there aint no lil trick I could test otherwise?

Okey, will make sure to look at that number 7 in the november showoff :D
Well thats kinda my hobby right now, just looking at cool mappers maps and being amazed XD. NOOO I promised myself not to be fangirly but Im just gonna say that you're one hell of a mapper, have watched and enjoyed ALL your work 🤗

Okey, I guess thats it for right now. I wanna test what you're saying and Im gonna continue with my hobby, starting with looking at the number 7 in the November showoff :p

Haha means a lot that you wanna see me grow. Im taking that as "There is some potential in you son" kinda thing 😁😘 Just means a lot ^^

Thanks for the amazing reply, have a great day! ❤️

Edit
(YEEEES! You're sooo right, I legit have so many great ideas (I think they are great atleast 😅) But Im having a really hard time getting it out there.)

Agree with Andreew, I would definitely change floor colour in minotaur mountain, it is confusing during play. I often pyt stone floor on 0 floor, then on upper ones I put wooden floors.

I would do same with corridors and houses. I mean: houses for rent could have different floor.

When there is ant hill put some ant trail to rotten meat f. eg. ^^

sewers looks great, I've never seen this waterfall and wall connected, this is great idea!

Agree with Andreew, I would definitely change floor colour in minotaur mountain, it is confusing during play. I often pyt stone floor on 0 floor, then on upper ones I put wooden floors.

I would do same with corridors and houses. I mean: houses for rent could have different floor.

When there is ant hill put some ant trail to rotten meat f. eg. ^^

sewers looks great, I've never seen this waterfall and wall connected, this is great idea!
Thanks for the advice and support! ^^
Eyy thats a cool idea, will make sure to try the ant with the rotten meat thing. Sounds super cool! Thanks!
Hehe thanks but it wasn't my idea, I think it was @GhostX that came up with it. But glad you liked it ^^

goods houses and halls but try turn off auto-border it will get better
Thanks a lot man! Means a lot :D Yea great idea. I recently started making maps without autoborder and its so much more time consuming, BUT it gets so much better ^^

860 client has boring sprites
go for 10.98 man :D
Heyy! Yea for sure, I actually did just that. Cuz you're so so right ^^
It's just a lot to take in with all the "new" sprites.
Post automatically merged:

Heyy everyone Im back!
Sorry for updating so very little. I've had a lot with christmas and everything. Yea you know.
+ I didn't want to bring a update where I didnt improve any. So I've been working around a private conversation with @Andréew . Im so greatful for all your help bro. And everyone commenting here!

@Andréew have been coaching me lately and this is what I came up with. Enjoy!

This is my idea of a "tutorial island" just like rookgaard. (Not finished)
icy.PNG
Welcome to the training area!
biggate.PNG
A little church and a shop is needed in a training area right? :p
insidethewall.PNG
When you feel ready you need a way of leaving this island right?
boat1.PNG
I made a boat! :D
boat2.PNG
But before you leave you may need some xp!
icycave.PNG
spidercave1.PNGspidercave2.PNGspidercave3.PNG
ALL this was made with RAW with autoborders disabled!

Now for the brave or what some would call the fools!
skeleton1.PNGskeleton4.PNG
Yes I sadly noticed that those borders are not walkable :/
skeleton5.PNGskeleton6.PNG

Last edited:
Hey again, I feel like Im spamming you guys :oops:😅

Anyways here we go!

Depot ^^

dp1.PNG

dp2.PNG

dp3.PNG

dp4.PNG

Castle :p
castle1.PNG

castle2.PNG

castle3.PNG

Smith + bup + tempel + overall city 😜
temple1.PNG

temple3.PNG

town1.PNG

town2.PNG

town3.PNG

town4.PNG

town5.PNG

town9.PNG

town6.PNG

town7.PNG

town8.PNG

I know it was a lot of pics but hope you enjoyed!

Worked a lot on this and Im really greatful for your time <3
Hope to see you donw in the commentsection ^^
Post automatically merged:

Well lets just say I like roofs XD

hus1.PNG

Last edited:
I can see you get better with each post and you seem to be working hard on it. It is good that you follow the work of other experienced mappers and you are even in touch with one of them. @Andréew is a beast and i would love to see someone who does as good maps as he does, so listen to his advice and show us often what you have improved. ;)

My tip: work a little harder on the grounds as in some pics they are too monotonous or the entire surface is filled with only one ground without any variations. Ofc this is not a golden rule and many people like very clean maps but in my opinion it is good to see a properly made mix of a different and (mostly) from the same color pallate grounds. It is more interesting and still can be playable if areas are not too tight and mix of grounds/borders is not eye-raping. It is something what im still practicing too.
These are not the best examples but they more or less show what i meant.

View attachment 53167 View attachment 53168 View attachment 53169 View attachment 53170

Almost everyone has their own style and you decide which tips are worth paying attention to.
Looking forward to see more maps from you. :)
OMG Hey man! Im so glad you think Im improving. @Andréew truly is tha beast ^^
Well before everything else. Thank you for commenting. I've actually seen some of your work and youre an amazing mapper dude 🤩 Its so fun to see so many nice people helping me improve ^^

And yea I really see what you mean with the grounds, the pics you gave looks A LOT nicer than my floor. @Andréew cave about the same critique so yea 😅 Seems like we're united on the fact I need to work on my ground tiles :D
Not gonna do so much tonight cuz its so late but will for sure pick up the battle axe tmrw morning and continue. Will make sure to keep you guys updated!

Again a big massive thanks to everyone commenting and supporting my work ❤️

Only just seen this thread, looks dope. The tips the others have given you are also pretty key to making a map look amazing. I also like your style so I can relate more :D

Excited to see more pictures come in! :)

Only just seen this thread, looks dope. The tips the others have given you are also pretty key to making a map look amazing. I also like your style so I can relate more :D

Excited to see more pictures come in! :)
Thanks a lot man! ❤️
Im really happy you like "my style" Im not sure just yet what exactly my style is but Im happy you like it :D

want to see more! keep it going
Haha thats the spirit 🤩
Will make sure to post as soon as I got some new pics to show you all ^^

wtf. There is a detail i missed earlier. The waterfall in your sewers works really good for that wall sprite, correct height and everything! Looks like you have pipes flowing with water just below where you walk.

wtf. There is a detail i missed earlier. The waterfall in your sewers works really good for that wall sprite, correct height and everything! Looks like you have pipes flowing with water just below where you walk.
Haha I take it you like it ^^
But yea, you are so right, it fits very well.

You can also add more green places to the city and mix snow borders underground, I like when ice wall continues as ice floor
002478.png002479.png

You can also add more green places to the city and mix snow borders underground, I like when ice wall continues as ice floor
View attachment 53190View attachment 53191
Sorry for late reply, been a lot today 😅
Saw your msg yesterday night but had to get off so just wanted to say a quick thanks for your reply ^^

Yea actually I really liked your little green areas, they looked very nice. What is the id of the stone border? :eek:

Yeaaa I can really see what you mean with the ice and icewalls. It looks very smooth. Luv the blend with "regular" underground walls aswell 🤩

Anyways, thanks for this amazing year everyone. See you next!❤️

Foreign Language
Heyy! Long time no see 🤓 🖐

Sorry for being away for a while, I just felt like I needed some time off mapping.

Here is some work I've done for a client hope you enjoy! Much love, hope you guys have been great and had a good start of the year ^^

Ps sorry in before hand, No I did not put them into a frame or rezise them, sorry for bad quality on the comeback post 😅
dwarfcave2.PNG
dwarfcave1.PNG
dwarfmine4.PNG
dwarfmine2.PNG
MUHAHAHA I BECAME EVIL AND MADE A MAZE WITH DWARF GUARDS 👿
dwarfmine3.PNG

finfint.PNG

I know its not the best pics but hope you enjoyed anyways!
Have a great day. See you guys soon again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back