• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team [10.9x] Project: Recruiting Skilled Developers | Paid Opportunities Available

How do you now feel about this project after having read post #182 on page 10?

• It's still unclear. I'll reply below and explain why.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you planning a quest on Tibia? Track it and earn Tibia Coins!

Track and create quests for 100% accuracy to earn even MORE!

2me347.png

We're now searching for active Tibia players planning to complete a quest (or quests) for tracking purposes. I'm not necessarily looking for the map itself, but rather the details of how the quest works, including signs, messages, logs, etc. You should track with great accuracy in that regard! Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions. Read more...

We're still hiring Lua Scripters and Programmers!

qOhJX3h.png

Appreciate you guys liking my posts and replying, so I know you've read them. Thank you!​

Last edited:
1pxet1.png

Lately, I've been chatting with some of the developers that work with me (either currently or previously) and questioned them about why they thought not so many people were helping with my project (or avoiding applying altogether). I'd like to go through the top 3 responses: The most common response was that they believe most people who read this thread feel "underqualified" for the position.¹ The second most common response was they believe people are confused as to what I'm looking for.² And last but not least, there is this "stigma" that all "real map projects" aren't worth investing time in.³ There will be a new poll on the main post and would love your feedback. Please vote and/or comment!

qOhJX3h.png

My Response to the Above Responses

There is no reason for anyone to feel underqualified. Yes, of course there are some who are not able to help simply because they don't know Lua or programming. But if you're reading through this thread, you're probably good enough to make something we need. This is why I ask for examples of work, so I can determine what you should be doing within the project. Not to cast you out or set you aside because "you're not good enough." The point is to make sure you can work efficiently as a developer on our team, so that we can finish in a timely manner. Sure, less skilled individuals can take on advanced tasks but we'll waste time pursing them. I didn't even know Lua when I joined OtLand and begged for answers as a noob. :D Just always remember that you don't have to be great to start but you have to start to be great, and practice (trial & error) will make you a better programmer / coder.

If you are confused as to what I'm looking for or you're a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information in this thread, I'm sorry. But it's nearly impossible for me to explain something of which I'm so passionate about in a few words. This project means so much to me, and I hope to find others who share the same passion, which is why I've been working on it (mostly alone) for half a decade because I believe in its ability to forge a new future for the community by setting a new standard and helping others achieve goals.

The very foundation of this project is what we are building. Without a solid foundation, you'll have trouble building anything of true value. Teams are not built on the length of time you spend together but rather the strength of the foundation you build together. If we don't have a high-quality and sound foundation to build this project upon, it will fail. I've seen it happen hundreds of times over the past 10+ years I've been apart of the Open Tibia community. But let me assure you that this is not "just another real map project." Looks can be deceiving. There will be custom content. As a matter of fact, there is custom content but it won't come at launch. We have big updates planned, just as Tibia has in the past. If this project ever finishes and we do launch, I promise we will release new content every few months. The first few updates are already being planned and created. ;)

qOhJX3h.png

If you read through all of this, thank you so much. Hopefully the objective / mission is now clear.
Please take a moment to vote on the main page in response to the poll question. I'll be checking it daily. :)

Regards,
J.Dre

m79A0dm.png
End note
m79A0dm.png

There are no long-term commitments unless you want them. Even though I'm searching for "skilled" developers, that doesn't mean "the best." I never expected the best to join me due to many reasons, but mostly due to the cost associated with them. The best developers want $50/h (or more) to code and that's out of my reach. This is a hobby / dream I'm pursuing as an unemployed, full-time student. Perhaps if the project becomes widely successful, I'll be able to afford $50/h. In my opinion, if you are one of "the best" developers and are refusing to work on a project because they don't pay enough, I feel sorry for you. There are many opportunities to build something great and you're giving up that chance for the most replenishable commodity in life: money. Money should not be your #1 motivation. Do you not realize building something great will bring people and with people comes money?

Last edited:
  • Name: Laurius
  • Field of Expertise (e.g. Lua): Lua
  • Availability (e.g. 3-4 hours daily): 3-8 hours
  • Experience (e.g. 2 years): 5 years
  • Examples (e.g. Portfolio): If intrested PM me, I'v got many eg on my project many unique things with lua.

I'm actually more curious how the progression is going atm! You should make some kind of discussion thread and involve more people into your project by getting people to know your commitment and what the goal is to achieve. By doing so, I believe you'll receive way greater response than what you've already had. Why? - as from what I can see from your threads, is your ambition, enthusiasm and a strive of accomplishing something great. However, some people might just neglect these aspects and simply be interested in seeing some kind of illustration or picture of what you are working with. A lot of things are written down in words, such as changelogs and such. Remember that a picture says a 1000x more words than a wall of text. Anyhow, I wish you the greatest of luck to your project and I sincerely wish that you find your final team members.

(sorry for any eventual misspellings or grammatical errors. Written on an android.)

@nevix,
Appreciate the interest. Will contact you sometime this weekend. :) Busy with school at the moment.

@tokenzz,
Your English is fine. No worries. :)

You make a very good point. Funny thing is, my friend and I were just discussing this. It's something I plan to do as soon as the development tracker is finished. ;) We already have very nice graphic wall, thread images, etc. for a new discussion thread. Glad we agree it's time for something new. Our graphics designer is quite busy and can only help me a couple days per month, so I can't make as many designs/images as I'd like. But we'll work something out for the discussion thread and advertisement thread (when the Alpha or Beta is ready).

Stay tuned for more information regarding that. Check out this post if you want a sneak peak at our upcoming dev. tracker!

Regards,
J.Dre

Hi again,

For those that have, I appreciate you taking the time to read the post above. :) Your vote will help me a lot. The feedback you provide allows me to better adapt and change my methods of reaching the community and players like you. And if you haven't yet read and voted, please do! Future threads regarding the project will be more visual and less textual. :p

Check out our new interactive development tracker here. Coming soon!

Regards,
J.Dre

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

There is nothing exciting to report today... Business as usual for the most part. There have been some problems with a couple team members, and the data pack development has been halted due to these issues. I'm unsure when we will work together again, if at all, but I'll always keep moving forward and will do my best to make a few scripts here and there when I have some time. The poll is still open on the main page, so please vote! I'd love to have your feedback. Please send me a PM or post below if you have any questions. ;)

As of now, all 3 Lua Scripting positions are available. Please apply if you're interested. :)

Regards,
J.Dre

Wondering if Lua scripter positions are changed to deal with scripts or still we need to figure out what should script do trough awful tibia-wiki?

Wondering if Lua scripter positions are changed to deal with scripts or still we need to figure out what should script do trough awful tibia-wiki?

The foundation of this project is a "real map project," so you'll need to make Tibia quests - all details, logs, etc. How you do this is entirely up to you.

The foundation of this project is a "real map project," so you'll need to make Tibia quests - all details, logs, etc. How you do this is entirely up to you.
But will you provide the scripter with a list of already made quests, no point in writing quests which already exist.

But will you provide the scripter with a list of already made quests, no point in writing quests which already exist.

Yes, that's right. Each Scripter will be given a list of quests that still require attention.* Everything is fairly well organized in that regard. I won't tell them how to make the quest(s). They'll have to figure that part out. There are many online resources. Programmers are handled a bit differently and are given extensive details for requests (e.g. Anti-bot Waypoint System).

Hope that answers your question. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Hope your week has been going well. :) We are still recruiting team members. If you are interested, please read the main posts.

Regards,
J.Dre

P.S. There has been a scheduling update. Oh, and there's hope for investment! Stay tuned.

Hi again,

Check out our new development tracker if you haven't already! Once this goes live, we'll be launching more threads for discussion and news, and opening registration for the Beta.

Regards,
J.Dre

Last edited:
I have a question regarding "staff positions". Are you using the default tutor, senior tutor, gm, cm and God?

Kind regards,

Tokenzz

I have a question regarding "staff positions". Are you using the default tutor, senior tutor, gm, cm and God?

Kind regards,

Tokenzz

Hey mate,

There will be Tutor, GM and CM in-game staff positions. However, I'll not be handpicking any staff except under certain circumstances that require my attention. Everything, including promotion and demotion, is handled automatically for in-game staff (i.e. Tutor and GM). Hope this answers your question. ;)

P.S. I'll be leaving for about a week. Please read the scheduling update available on the main post.

Last edited:
I am available for hire, c++ programming, Lua and php. On my portfolio I created cast on a 7.6 server, and much more on involving Lua and c++.

I am available for hire, c++ programming, Lua and php. On my portfolio I created cast on a 7.6 server, and much more on involving Lua and c++.

I've seen your thread. :) You are definitely capable. However, we're not searching for freelance coders at the moment.

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. This is my last post before I leave for my trip. Going to see some family. :)

While I'm away, if you want to contact me, please read the scheduling details on the main post or feel free to join our Discord server to chat with me directly by visiting this link. It's valid for 24 hours. I'll have both our email app and Discord's app on my cell phone, so you can reach me. I'll probably respond on Discord more quickly than via email. ;)

And as always, thank you for the support.
heart.png
Sorry it's taking long but there's no point in doing something if you're not going to do it right.

Regards,
J.Dre

us today!

Last edited:
I'm not interested in a paid job, but I have a few high level characters in real tibia I could use to find small bits of information for you. For example NPC dialogue. Not really into map tracking.

Just PM me if there's anything.

Hi everyone,

There will no longer be anymore updates regarding the project (in this thread) until the new Discussion thread is created once the development tracker is complete. @Cornex has offered to code this website in his free time. :) I greatly appreciate his willingness to do so. It means a lot to me and will help bring this project to life. Progress may be slow but better late than never.

If you want to help, you can still contact me via PM. We're still searching for help.

Regards,
J.Dre

us today!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back