• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

AnUncertainPath online - Discussion Thread

Linxsis

Banned User
Solutions
Reaction score
Well the name of the server is not that important at present. I wanted to discuss the possible game play aspects, classes or as you are all familiar with vocations, skills and spells (visual). I am in the process of developing the basic structure of the game.

I have to capabilities to build everything whether it be in scripts, source editing or web development. The only thing I would have an issue with is the client, I would like to focus more on that at some point but it isn't a priority at the moment.

Client
I was going to be using an 8.6 client, however since I am having issues with adding in custom animations my target client will be 10.98 (since I wanted to use the sprites from that client anyway)

General Game play & PVP
I am designing the game around a good/evil/neutral aspect where players will be able to fight one another but only if they are of the same faction, except for neutral which would allow the player to fight any faction even their own.

Faction
This faction system would allow players to play in a semi safe environment sort of a protection level system instead of levels being the factor. Faction will also play another role by means of merchants. See Guilds & Status Points

Classes/Vocations
Since the classes will be of opposing sides certain classes will only be usable by certain factions, however there will be a means in place which will allow you to switch factions, this might be an item or quest-line.

Spells, Skills
I am re-writing the way spells & skills work, you will not have to gain skills or magic level, the attributes of a player will be assigned upon leveling up which will work with the equipment you wear. Each arch-type will have a primary attribute which work in conjunction with additional attributes.

Arch-types & Attributes
All arch-types will have 6 sub vocations to choose from
Fighter, their primary attribute is strength.
Mage, their primary attribute is intelligence.
Priest, their primary attribute is wisdom.
Scout, their primary attribute is agility.
These primary attributes in conjunction with other attributes will affect a player's attack, health, mana.
Common or shared attributes will be assigned to the player to affect their skills, magic level, critical, defense and so forth.

Crafting & Harvesting
The crafting system will allow players to create spells, equipment, furniture, ammunition, totems, bags, potions, poisons, runes, adornments, transmute items for materials, salvage items for common materials or rares. All crafting, harvesting, transmuting and adorning will have level requirements to make, harvest or break down items.

Guilds
Guilds on this server will have levels assigned to them, guilds will be able to level their guilds by doing raids, city/crafting quests where each player in the guild will gain status and a percentage of that status will go towards leveling up the guild.

The purpose of the guild levels is not just for bragging rights. The level of a guild will determine if a guild has a guild hall and what amenities are available to that guild based on its level. The guild leader can choose which amenities the guild will have access to. Certain amenities might be a spell which allows a guild member to call to their guild hall, or a banker in their guild hall etc.. These amenities will come at a cost though, with a status + gold weekly price tag.

Status Points
Status points aren't just for leveling up a guild you will be able to securely sell this status to other guilds, or purchase items from certain merchants (provided you have the faction), status points will also be obtainable through items.

Houses
Players will be able to rent, buy or sell houses (there is more to houses then i want to elaborate on right now but it will be pretty cool :) )

Mounts
Mounts will be awarded or obtained by doing quests, purchasable by merchants, or looted. Mounts will be sell-able to other players or merchants. Each mount will have a set speed associated with the mount. There will be both ground & flying mounts obtainable by all players, each mount will have a level requirement either in crafting or adventuring.

Tiers
Everything from spells, equipment even mounts will have a tier factor to them, these tiers will determine the quality of the item.

I guess that is it for now. I will post more details as I progress with the project.

I guess this doesn't strike anyone as fun or a little bit interesting :( 40 views no responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this doesn't strike anyone as fun or a little bit interesting :( 40 views no responses.
Because on paper it looks pretty much like every another regular custom server's features list.

I like most of the ideas but you know, they are ideas.

Have you managed to implement anything of the above or have an idea of how to do it? I'm more curious about Status Points.

What about the map. Would you be able to change faction?

It seams like a pretty huge project you have lots and lots of ideas but you don't have any real information about when you might think it's done or whos going to work with it, if you are going to do all that alone it would take a huge amount of time to balance and make it proper.
So many around here have had such big ideas on paper and then eventually given up on them so i think that you won't get that much of the players intrest while you are in the current phase.

Because on paper it looks pretty much like every another regular custom server's features list.
Well I haven't described the entire concept just yet. I am giving the general idea.
I like most of the ideas but you know, they are ideas.

Have you managed to implement anything of the above or have an idea of how to do it? I'm more curious about Status Points.

What about the map. Would you be able to change faction?
Yes I've written most of it already, the map well I haven't done any serious mapping just yet, and yes you will be able to change factions.
It seams like a pretty huge project you have lots and lots of ideas but you don't have any real information about when you might think it's done or whos going to work with it, if you are going to do all that alone it would take a huge amount of time to balance and make it proper.
So many around here have had such big ideas on paper and then eventually given up on them so i think that you won't get that much of the players intrest while you are in the current phase.
Understandable, its just me for now working on it. There are soo many scripts & sources already written on this forum that I can use to build this project. I would like to have it up and running in 2 months but that is just not a practical time frame. But I will post my progress :)

I will be honest with you. I am replying now without reading one word of your forum post. Why?
Because it looks unnattractive to me. It's a wall of text. There's no pictures or anything that catches my eye.

I will be honest with you. I am replying now without reading one word of your forum post. Why?
Because it looks unnattractive to me. It's a wall of text. There's no pictures or anything that catches my eye.
There are no pictures because this is not an advertisement thread, its a discussion thread, unfortunately that requires reading walls of text. :(

Understandable, its just me for now working on it. There are soo many scripts & sources already written on this forum that I can use to build this project. I would like to have it up and running in 2 months but that is just not a practical time frame. But I will post my progress :)

I always like the new custom project spirit but be wary all work in 2 months is very hard, so many developers here and generally put so high hopes and expectations thinking they have the perfect plan and everything will go smooth, fact is it usually doesn't and they end up discouraged and gives up on the project, to make a great game it requires a great deal of time. if you want to keep true to your ideas you should just be consistant and not really set a time map this early as a single developer or the project might end up as feeling of a job and not a project.

I always like the new custom project spirit but be wary all work in 2 months is very hard, so many developers here and generally put so high hopes and expectations thinking they have the perfect plan and everything will go smooth, fact is it usually doesn't and they end up discouraged and gives up on the project, to make a great game it requires a great deal of time. if you want to keep true to your ideas you should just be consistant and not really set a time map this early as a single developer or the project might end up as feeling of a job and not a project.
I understand and you're right it does feel like a job coding day in and day out. That is why I am not going to work on this every day. I think a few hours a day and a few days a week will make the experience less hellish.

Working on sprites at the moment :)
I am using ones I found from another spr and some I am editing myself.
I edited demon armor
demon.png
chest.png
legs.png
redwingedboots_p.png

Last edited:
Today I am working on itemization since I have probably exhausted all the possible sprites I could use even tho i do go back and make new ones such as missing legs or runes.

What itemization are you working on?
Class specific items?
The tier system?

What itemization are you working on?
Class specific items?
The tier system?
Actually I got side tracked and worked on npc's instead they weren't working properly, plus i couldn't help myself i had to make more sprites!. :)
As for the itemization, a bit of both well I want to and am going to use different stats as opposed to the traditional standard hp / mana to manipulate the stats of the player. So the tiers will tie in with the stats, strength, intelligence and so forth.

But 1st there are some other aspects of the source I need to get out of the way before i can really focus on the items.

What to wear hmm
Screenshot from 2017-12-23 17-21-30.png

Some of if not all these sprites are ugly ugh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Other then the 'boots' bottom right, all of these look passable to me.
Well.. maybe. not the green sword. Is that a recoloured fishing rod? xP

Other then the 'boots' bottom right, all of these look passable to me.
Well.. maybe. not the green sword. Is that a recoloured fishing rod? xP
Probably who knows these are sprites I found in another spr. I did make that red set that looks identical to the purple with all the weapons i just recolored the images.

Back