• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Any good LUA books?

pm7b

Nikim jesteś!
Reaction score
Hello,
i decided to learn LUA, and i am asking if any of you know any good teach-yourself lua books.
Thanks,
pm7b

Good to see someone who wants to build some knowledge of scripting, hard to see nowdays.
I've tried it either but it didn't work because my english wasn't that good like theirs and i never could read in WHY it should be there i always need to know that like i know end means ending of script its needed because without it, it won't be ended you know like this things and then i see ) and ' etc.. And i just don't understand what they try to teach me, i builded my experience of scripting by chechking what script it is and to look the script and to check ingame (thank god english variables etc.) Like the function onUse example sounds logical etc.

However, goodluck.

Good to see someone who wants to build some knowledge of scripting, hard to see nowdays.
I've tried it either but it didn't work because my english wasn't that good like theirs and i never could read in WHY it should be there i always need to know that like i know end means ending of script its needed because without it, it won't be ended you know like this things and then i see ) and ' etc.. And i just don't understand what they try to teach me, i builded my experience of scripting by chechking what script it is and to look the script and to check ingame (thank god english variables etc.) Like the function onUse example sounds logical etc.

However, goodluck.

It really is not that hard. It's funny because I never read any tutorials or books on any type of programming language.
I learn by example, so I would look at a script and see why this is here and why that is this and what not.

Yeah, I'm the same, I hate studying, its much easier to learn stuff by trying them out :p

It really is not that hard. It's funny because I never read any tutorials or books on any type of programming language.
I learn by example, so I would look at a script and see why this is here and why that is this and what not.
We're all different aren't we? Some people do learn how to script faster and better than other. But I get your point.

eh, its easiest for me to read it. Anyways, any of you recommend specific books?

I recommend to you to start by reading the Lua Reference Manual. Learn basic syntax, basic libraries (string, math etc) and then learn OTLua functions. After that, learn TFS script systems (Actions etc) and then start with the actual scripts.

I recommend to you to start by reading the Lua Reference Manual. Learn basic syntax, basic libraries (string, math etc) and then learn OTLua functions. After that, learn TFS script systems (Actions etc) and then start with the actual scripts.

I did all of this backwards and I still learned how to script, I'm on way to learn LUA syntax, etc.
@ OP
Take Diath's advice, I did this backwards and trust me it sucked, it's like swimming upstream a rapid river, I would have saved a lot of headaches is I had learned the syntax first.

Back