• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Beginner] Cerkie's Mapping

Demonkil

Beginner Mapper
Reaction score
Well as I'm going to make my own server and don't really want to use a real map, I have decided to take up mapping. I'm really bad at mapping at the moment but as the thread goes on maybe I can start getting the hang of it.
Here is the basic outline of my starter island, any tips and tricks are all welcome, and please do criticize me as the knowledge from you guys will make me a better mapper in the long run so here goes...

35m2id0.png

Last edited:
Just done a little cave shape but I think doing it with auto boarder is really odd, here goes anyway.

2ef7yhx.png

Although making shapes is fun, you should never start with the shape. You should always start with the town. Why, you ask? Because once you have your town, you have a better view on how big your shape should be.

Now, how do you map a town anyway? Well, doesn't matter if you map a town, or a hunt spot or something else. When mapping for a server, its all about planning. Anyway, you should start with your npcs. What kind of npcs do I want? An oracle, equipment shop, tools shop, library, mill etc. once you know these things, you should plan your town. Where do I want to place what? For example, a mill needs a streaming river for it to run, so the mill should be near a river or atleast near the water.

Forget about the cave, I know mapping huntspots is a lot of fun and doing towns etc. isn't, I still think that you should start with your town. And don't be afraid to use autoborder, I know this sounds weird coming from an experienced mapper, but, using autoborder as a new mapper helps you learn how to handle the map editor, the sprites etc.. But if your determined I suggest using RAW, for the town anyway. Good luck.

I did actually do my town first, but I thought it was that bad I shouldn't show it here (Up to now I have had really nice comments but not everyone is that way)

So here is two pictures one of my little starter town of rook and an updated cave.

Here is my really bad town :D

3359pc9.png

After a little bit of editing

30tmlfn.png

Here is my updated cave.

2vwtwjm.png

Last edited:
Im not sure If that should be a rookguard type of place or just the starter island,
Also any tips on how to make a good looking town would be great :D

This might be my new rook or I might just not have a rook and make this a new island

hwk9cn.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-made the little town I had it looks a little better but not much :'(, I'm just no good at this town malarkey.

1zv5v01.png

PS: I think I'm just going to scrap the whole thing and start a new tomorrow

I did and this is what my map is going to look like....

aw6mty.png

Last edited:
I read neon's thread about setting up your layout and thought that was a great idea to prepare myself and not just make random things, so here is my basic layout (This is going to be a server map by the way).
Please do leave suggestions so I can better my map

34pzzvn.png

Yellow circle - Mid level hunting grounds
Red circle - High level hunting grounds
Blue circle - A POH type of place
Purple circle - Frost dragon island

I was thinking of having a rook but as it is going to be a low - mid OT it would be a waste of time putting a lot of work in to it if they are only there 5 minutes.
So I came up with an idea of a starter island and to get off the island you need to do a few quests to gain trust of the town's folk I.E (There is a evil priest sending his minions to attack the town and your goal is to destroy him and his Mogues).
Also there will be side quests and so on, but this is just a basic idea.

Oooh my god, I have just done a huge rook city and of course forgot to save it then RME crashed and I lost everything :(

Started a fast one, and here is the outcome up to now...

from the bottom floor

34sqal2.png

From the top floor

2ugdxqp.png

Last edited:
I have updated it a bit but I don't know what detail I should be putting within a town :S

yi143.png

Know that rook only needs a couple of npc houses ( houses where npcs live in / have their shop )

Back