• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Bountysource ToS change

Yesterday, Bountysource sent out an email to their users about a change to their Terms of Service.

We have previously used Bountysource for bounties posted for the otland/forgottenserver repository. There is a number of open bounties that are also older than 2 years and per the new policy would be forfeited on July 1st. If you have posted any bounty, please take appropriate action to make sure your money isn't taken by Bountysource entirely for this reason.

We do not recommend posting new bounties for Github issues in the forgottenserver repository using Bountysource.

As reported by our staff members who contacted Bountysource to opt out of new ToS, they have withdrawn the new terms of service - for now. If you are concerned about your funds being forfeited in future, you should cancel your bounties and withdraw the "credits" from your account.

Relevant links:

The quote from the email message they sent is below:
Hi,
You are receiving this email because we are updating the Bountysource Terms of Service, effective 1st July 2020.

What's changing?
We have added a Time-Out clause to the Bounties section of the agreement:

2.13 Bounty Time-Out.
If no Solution is accepted within two years after a Bounty is posted, then the Bounty will be withdrawn and the amount posted for the Bounty will be retained by Bountysource. For Bounties posted before June 30, 2018, the Backer may redeploy their Bounty to a new Issue by contacting [email protected] before July 1, 2020. If the Backer does not redeploy their Bounty by the deadline, the Bounty will be withdrawn and the amount posted for the Bounty will be retained by Bountysource.

You can read the full Terms of Service here

What do I need to do?
If you agree to the new terms, you don't have to do anything.

If you have a bounty posted prior to June 30, 2018 that is not currently being solved, email us at [email protected] to redeploy your bounty. Or, if you do not agree with the new terms, please discontinue using Bountysource.

Thanks for reading
Bountysource Team

What a shame.

Obviously, the prudent move for Bountysource would have been to refund money to users that had placed bounties that were unsolved. I can't imagine this resource being around in a couple of years; I look forward to seeing what kind of creative solution we can come up with to implement something similar.

Red

Scumbag of the year award material right there. Runner up at least. Lets see what the rest of the brings though.

"Umm yeah, all this money you put down to improve open source software? We are just gonna keep it. Because reasons"

Reminds me of Bugcrowd and Hackerone "new ways".

-Yea that vulnerability, we know that feature is terrible, but it's not critical so we won't pay you.

"So can I release the vuln?"

-Hell no, that would compromise our users

"Oh sorry"

What a shame.

Obviously, the prudent move for Bountysource would have been to refund money to users that had placed bounties that were unsolved. I can't imagine this resource being around in a couple of years; I look forward to seeing what kind of creative solution we can come up with to implement something similar.

Red
Maybe just use somekind of a marketplace plugin for Xenforo and do it via otland instead of some third parties.

I think an auction would be more appropiate than a product sell, tbh. Maybe there's APIs like this out there that can be used.

Back