• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Can people stop call it "DONATE"

You were not obliged to make a donation to Water Aid, the fact they assisted the village is unrelated to the donation made, therefore it is not a sale. You did not intend on receiving the assistance in return, it was coincidental. If you intended to receive the service in return then it would have been a purchase of goods, with financial assistance from charity, and not a donation.

Fair enough :)

Receiving a donation can (and most likely) will be seen as an income by the IRS. You pay taxes over your income. I STRONGLY disbelieve that you will have tax immunity when receiving a donation with OT. No matter if its a donation, they have to pay taxes. Again, I STRONGLY disbelieve they pay taxes.

Meaning, they are neglecting to comply with the law. ILLEGAl. Anyway, I think this is right, don't hate me if I said someting stupid :p

Definition of a "donation":
Google

I see nothing about receiving goods or services in return.

Prime example:
" (Donations) An unconditional gift (normally money), offered voluntarily and not as a result of contractual obligation and which receives no material benefit or expectation of benefit in return.

www.asf.org.au/information/terminology"

If you're either selling something that does not belong to you or receiving money in return for services (a sale not donation) then you are breaking the law.

If you are truly accepting a donation, with no gain for the person making the donation, then you are still breaking the law if you do not possess the rights to the product or service.

Please don't try to take the high ground when you show no basis for your argument. That's not the way it works.

Also, dumb, the inability to speak. Learn the correct adjectives for the lack of intelligence.

No, your not looking at the actual meaning.

Hosters put it as 'DONATIONS' because they see it as players DONATING to keep the server alive.

Therefore the hosters wish to give a present to the DONATORS, by giving them points.

Example; Oxfam, Barnados etc etc, google them if you don't know what they are. Shops which sell items for cash for donations for charity.

Thank you.

No, your not looking at the actual meaning.

Hosters put it as 'DONATIONS' because they see it as players DONATING to keep the server alive.

Therefore the hosters wish to give a present to the DONATORS, by giving them points.

Example; Oxfam, Barnados etc etc, google them if you don't know what they are. Shops which sell items for cash for donations for charity.

Thank you.

Oxfam sell products for a profit which is directly taken by the charity. Completely different.

You sir, never ran a server, for sure, making it as a donation/gift (u can't make it automatic paypal system with gift) will decrease the chance of loosing the money by a chargeback..=]

Why donation over payment? If you're a business (even a very, very, very small one at that) and you decline to give a customer something they paid for, you can get into legal trouble.
As a donation, you can easily state that they are not paying for anything, and you are giving them a gift as a 'Thank you'.

Red

well, since donates first started, it was considered a real donation for a better dedicated or what so ever, and in return, the owner gift you with some cash and items.
since that time until now, owners consider the donation is for the server, but they just >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^ you with some trash items, just to say "I gave you something back in return".. like it costs him a nickel... so what im trying to say, server owners do know the truth, but they don't show they do.

So if I am a poor African who doesnt have clean water, I go and sell my cow and donate the money to Water Aid, then 2 weeks later they come and give my villiage... including myself... clean water, would this be a sale?

No, not if you agreed on terms stating something similar to "You help us, we help you."
Which in regards to most open tibia servers, they usually have terms stating "This is a gift, you will be rewarded with a gift from us - premium points to dispose of at your own discretion."

It's all about the terms of which the transaction was made.

Last edited:
this is real trade at all so it shouldn't be called donation. There are two groups: some people are trying to explain what it does and some are trying to tell that it's trade instead of gift. Anyway, some mod should close this thread with few words to finish it in last post

so in the end, they only call it donate because they dont want to get busted when they end up closing the server/not giving what promised

just to cover theire own asses, i dont see any other reason... hmm, nice! >_>

not

They call it donation for 3 reasons.
First, they don't want to be able to be taxed.
Second, it's not their game so it's illegal to sell stuff on it.
Third, If the server dies, they don't have to refund anything.

They call it donation for 3 reasons.
First, they don't want to be able to be taxed.
Second, it's not their game so it's illegal to sell stuff on it.
Third, If the server dies, they don't have to refund anything.

In UK law, at least, any income received from anything can be taxed.
If it's illegal to sell stuff on it, then it's illegal to take donations to fund it.
They have to refund anything if they don't hold their side of the deal up.
What are my statutory rights? | Consumer Information explains a little more about consumer rights in the UK

That's only with UK Servers, and I haven't seen too many of them. Unless it includes Swedish and Polish servers.

I think those servers who say they have donations yet they call it a "Shop" is wrong.

My server for example has donations, but they recieve gifts only.
So for example, a player chooses to donate 10 dollars. With 10 dollars I have a list of gifts worth 10 dollars (NO ITEMS!)
Only houses, outfits or free broadcasts, or maybe private trainers, depending on the amount donated.

I believe this is how real donations should work.

Those who provide gold, items or ANY form of power increase within the server is wrong.

Anyway, some mod should close this thread with few words to finish it in last post

Why? It's in discussion to be discussed? There's no real "right" answer.

@OT: If you donate blood to the Red Cross and they give you a T-shirt (and everybody else who donates) are you paying them blood for a T-shirt? I believe you're still donating.
Red

Its preference i guess. These days its called donation, its been like this since ever.

I was also curious about this case. I'm soon to release my custom server. This, I host on a VPS, which will cost me about 30 euros a month. I work 40 hours, so that's no problem. But every penny is one. I know a donation is a one-way street, but if I open a small shop, and eventually call it shop, would that have consequences for me? I'm thinking about small items, mounts or other extras, for a mere amount of 10 or 20 eurocents. Would I be allowed?

Back