• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Can someone quickly explain linux compiling

kevin1

Reaction score
Hey, I don't need a guide, I just need to understand what happens when you do the guide, if I understood correctly you: Log in as root, download libray thing, download source code, compile source code.

But where is the compiler? Is there a compiler already with Linux? I'm confused :blink:

I posted a copy paste example on one of the last pages for Ubuntu. Shouldn't be too hard to follow.
But it doesn't actually explain WHAT you are doing and the basics of HOW it works.. that's what I'm after :p

Where is the actuall "compiler" is it on linux servers already or what?

No, you install it by executing:
Code:
apt-get install libboost1.41-dev libboost-system1.41-dev libboost-filesystem1.41-dev libboost-date-time1.41-dev libboost-regex1.41-dev libboost-thread1.41-dev libgmp3-dev liblua5.1-0 liblua5.1-0-dev liblua50 liblua50-dev liblualib50 liblualib50-dev lua50 lua5.1 libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 libmysql++-dev libmysqlclient-dev mysql-client-5.1 mysql-server-5.1 mysql-common libxml2-dev libxml++2.6-dev cpp gcc g++ make automake autoconf pkg-config subversion liblua5.1-sql-mysql-dev liblua5.1-sql-sqlite3-dev zlib1g-dev zlib1g libcrypto++-dev libcrypto++8
If you take a look you'll see its installing make and automake.
Those (or at least make) is used for compiling.

Back