• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dedicated or Not?

atomic chavez

Hi there
Reaction score
Well I have been playing around in my personal computer with TFS and I was thinking on going online.
I have been thinking on buying a dedicated with linux.
here are the specifications.
Intel Pentium IV, 3.4 GHz
1024 MB DDR2-RAM
160 GB SATA / 7200 RPM
3000 GB Bandwidth included
How many people without lag will It hold?

Also, since I am new to all linux thing I think it will take me some time to get started so I was also thinking It might be a better idea if I get my friends new computer to run my server for a while and see how it goes. The computer has 200gbs hard drive
2gb ram probably 2.2+GHz Intel centrino. The big problem is that Since I live in Mexico internet is waaay to slow. I could pay 30 dollars extra on my phone bill to upgrade my bandwith to 4mbps down/1mbps up. Sooo, how many people will this hold?

So overall, what do you guys think I should do? I might start my OT at my house with friends computer just to begin with, maybe I even install linux on the new computer to start playing around.

I would aim on 180~~

I don't think so.

Mexico's internet speed really sucks.

I am supposed to get 1000kb/s download speed <- lol?, AND I GET 100kb/s and upload 100kb/s and I get like 10kb/s or 20kb/s...

You will need to get a dedicated server for sure, dude.

How many people without lag will It hold?
With an unix system? 200.

Also, since I am new to all linux thing I think it will take me some time to get started so I was also thinking It might be a better idea if I get my friends new computer to run my server for a while and see how it goes. The computer has 200gbs hard drive
The hard drive does not matter as long as you have more than like 50. And yes, you should rather use that computer instead of buying a whole new computer just for hosting an open tibia server.

I could pay 30 dollars extra on my phone bill to upgrade my bandwith to 4mbps down/1mbps up. Sooo, how many people will this hold?
About 80 Mexicans without lag. You can't host internationally without huge latencies I'm afraid.

So overall, what do you guys think I should do? I might start my OT at my house with friends computer just to begin with, maybe I even install linux on the new computer to start playing around.
Let him host. If all goes well I suggest you try RENTING a VPS or dedicated server, not buying one.

Let him host. If all goes well I suggest you try RENTING a VPS or dedicated server, not buying one.

Ya of course I will be renting it sorry, thanks for all the feedback. I think I will be renting the dedicated just for 1 month to see how it goes.

I know there are many tutorials about linux compilation etc but I have a different question, If I rent a server with Ubuntu is it appropiate to use Filezilla to transfer via FTP? Because I have a free trial in a hosting web and this is how it looks.

filezillaaaa.jpg

The only thing that looks like its for linux commands is following these steps
Server>Introduce personalized commands> and this pops up.

filezillaaaaperzonalize.jpg

But none of the commands from the tutorials work in here.

SOOOO, of course this is just taken from a free trial server and I havent paid for the real server that I will rent, Im just a little unsecure because linux is all new to me and Im not really sure on how to compile my server remotely.

You can use FileZilla to transfer all your files and what not to the dedicated.
Download PuTTy and connect to the server using SSH and use that for all the terminal commands.

Linux really isn't that hard to just pick up and learn with a little patience and common sense.
I was hesitant too before switching my server over to my dedicated server having never used Linux before, but I got it running within a day.

I strongly suggest that you go with the dedicated :)

Oh so all the weird commands that I see in the tutorials go in putty? yeah that sounds more like it. Im going to pay and get started on my dedicated right now, I'll get back to you if there is any complications. thanks for clearing that out for me tho, FILEZILLA=UPLOAD , PUTTY=TERMINAL, I thought filezilla was also for the terminal commands ;s

Back