• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Discuss] PyOT vs TFS

Cloow

Reaction score
Stian former developer of the TFS project, (recently) made a new distrobution based on Phyton with some other people from the open tibia community.
I want to hear what's your opinion, why are PyOT better than TFS? and the way around.

I want to hear your opinion since you're practically advertising it here.
So why is PyOT any good?

it is battle
python vs c++ + Lua
and PyOT is in alpha stage while tfs 0.2 became stable years ago

Ofc python is better, it's more flexible than what tfs use...

From what Ive heard python is quie unstable and dont got ad much potential as c++. But i could be convinced to to change opinion. :)

Ofc python is better, it's more flexible than what tfs use...

markey_mark_wtf.gif

as long as you know how to geek EVERY programming language is flexible, the same goes for open source projects
anyway, for some time, probably counted in years, I'd stick to tfs

Well to make it easier for you It's not simply TFS Vs PyOT or C++ Vs Python, you might try both of them and figure out which of them coded in a better way and more stable

I can post you features/down falls of both projects but this is just useless to do since in Order to Run PyOT it require little knowledge about what you doing moreover you won't find alot of tutorials about how to start it up and you people in OtLand used to have the stuff on a golden plant, so if you are a noob don't think about PyOt and be glad that u can make money with TFS.

I think it is great something ordinary heppend to the open tibia community, such as pyot.
PyOT is still in its alpha stage and there is alot of functions missing therefore I'd say TFS is the deal right :)
This thread is absolutely not about any advertising or such. I was just curious about the diffrence between these two, perhaps bad thread name heh

Pyot still in alpha stage so is normal have bugs and stuff like that and have a more flexible "core".
Pyot use less memory. C++ is faster than pyot but you don't need to do some heavy calculations or stuff like that so the speed isn't a really important factor.
And last but not least pyot cover a more variety of OS.

Almost forgot now you can play in your browser with the included client on pyot.

From what Ive heard python is quie unstable and dont got ad much potential as c++. But i could be convinced to to change opinion. :)

Sure thing, maybe thats why the NASA uses it to run satellites, or maybe its why games like civilizition, battlefield uses it, Eve Online is coded entierly in Stackless Python. YouTube (one of the worlds most popular sites) is coded in Python.

Yeah maybe Python is Unstable!

Some info that was on my "restricted" Thread:

PyOT is super fast, and uses different methods than other projects. Some of which is:
Code:
    Async SQL
    Async core code
    Async scriptsystem
    Ability to utilize the best reactor designs (epoll (Linux), iocp (Windows) and kqueue (FreeBSD))
    Ability to utilize JIT using PyPy
    Very flexible core
    Very configurable core
    Very fast save format (save takes from less than 0.1ms to 0.3ms per player, scales over several sql connections, allowing for upto 10k saves per second)
    Sector maps, dynamic load and unload for optimal memory usage (down to ~50MB on 64bit after login! (32bit can expect around half)) (*Multilingual mode may require more)
    Support for instances or even having multiple worlds on one server!
    Support for multiple languages (at the same time, now each individual account can have their own language!) (*all server sided messages, client UI is a different matter)
    Ability to dynamicly script maps and custom items!
    Multiple protocol. The distro supports multiple protocols, currently from 8.54 to 9.81
    Web Client. Now you can play a ots your browser.

Last edited:
Do we have any OT servers running PyOT? I would like to try it out.
Until then, I will assume that the distro is not yet ready to be used.

The potential of the engine however appears to be way better than what any OT owners will be able to utilize it for.

@UP: well, as most of people just download&run and others don't want to be alfa testers then probably there is noone who uses it :D

Back