• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Discussion: Marketplace

Should the Maketplace be removed?

• YES!

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • NO!

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

Shinmaru

エロルアー Scripter!
Reaction score
Continuing from this thread:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the marketplace as it is now. I believe the problems are the sellers, not the board itself. And deleting marketplace wouldn't change that, a user who intends to sell a system for etc 10 EUR will not decide "ohh, I will just release it for free, because I don't have a marketplace board on otland".

I intend to release something big and awesome soon for free here at otland (Znote AAC), which I have spent months on developing(Aprox 3000 lines of PHP code). I don't wish a single penny for this, so I am able to distribute my initial product and framework.

And then I can sell on the marketplace some innovative extentions to my AAC, for those who wishes to have it, afford it and wants to support me. If my initial free product is lousy, the income will be bad, but if my product is good, and people who can afford it think I deserve it, that its worth a penny, then I can earn money, even as an open source developer. Who supports the open community.

My response:
Shinmaru said:
I can agree with you, it's the sellers, but when you give a field of operation to these "sellers" you are legitimizing them, the marketplace has always been a place of trouble for otland and this time around is no different, surely, removing the Marketplace will be a blow on the honest seller as well.

But the history of bad reputation from the Marketplace outweighs the Honest Seller, so the only proper option will be to delete the Marketplace, what will be the consequences?

None except all the bad users that infest this site will leave to another site in the attempt to sell their stuff and we all know how well that will be since no other site has even 1/4 of the reputation that Otland has.

There can be an option, Otland can make a special Info Registry for those sellers, They are to provide their info(Full Name, Age, Address, Paypal address, and some other stuff) in order to sell things here in Otland, ofcourse this is the very least likely option, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Znote, you can't place yourself with them, I for one have worked with you and I can tell you are trustworthy, You don't need the marketplace to sell extensions for you AAC, you can build a page that handles that for you. I believe, no one here would want to pull a sleazy on you.

There you have it, now let's hear all of yours, what do you think about the Marketplace.

I think its nice, poor people who still have more then I do (paypal, bank-cards, etc) can make a little money out of something that worths nothing.

I agree with you 100%.
Even if you restrict the market place maybe like Shin said there will always be scammers that scam BUYERS so there is always scammers lurking behind the curtains waiting for an oppurtonity to strike!
So I voted yes for deletion.

I think the market place defeated the purpose of Open Tibia which was supposed to be all "free", can't be bothered with such discussion so i will not be posting anymore.

The Marketplace should be restricted further.
User access to create a thread there should be on admin/mod approval.

To be approved, you must contribute to the community first,
such as scripts, maps, have reputation, give support, ect.

If an admin/mod believes you've done well, you can post in the board.

The Marketplace should be restricted further.
User access to create a thread there should be on admin/mod approval.

To be approved, you must contribute to the community first,
such as scripts, maps, have reputation, give support, ect.

If an admin/mod believes you've done well, you can post in the board.
Rep? As in the rep bar xD? Just throw that out of the window XD

Rep? As in the rep bar xD? Just throw that out of the window XD

I'm pretty sure the admins/mods can view your reputations and determine which one is a legitimately supportive one.

I will be the first one to do it and then i will be history in otland ahah kidding!

My two cents;

You all say Open Tibia should be fully free, yet there is a premium board here in which you can download the latest TFS.
You all say Open Tibia is free, yet most people posting here I have seen in the marketplace (I'm always there checking out bargains).
You all say Open Tibia is free, yet Otland makes enough cash through premium subs a month to probably even buy Tibia itself. (exaggeration rlx)

Tibia is not free, Open Tibia is not free, nothing in this world is free. Time is money and you waste time on Tibia, therefore losing money. Your time is precious, it's worth even more than money, contributors see it as "spare time" so you have spare money?
Sellers see it as "money making schemes". They create things, learn things, in order to earn cash to spend on Tibia anyway or even to spend back in the Otserv community. MOST however, sell shit and put it in the banks.

If there is a way to earn money, someone will find it. Marketplace or no marketplace, there will be a way to sell their items.
e.g. Vapus
Alot of people went their to sell their shit, OTLand Marketplace opens, everyone sells their shit at Otland. Which I don't blame the staff for opening it, they stepped up to the competition.

People want to make as much money as possible, whether its to support an existing project or creating a new one. I can guarentee that Shadowcores would not exist if Talaturen made no cash from Otland.

Thats my opinion, take it as you like.

Myself, I enjoy earning the few bucks, it's a nice reward, but I've also contributed since I started Open Tibia (2005) more than I've sold anything.

My two cents;

You all say Open Tibia should be fully free, yet there is a premium board here in which you can download the latest TFS.
You all say Open Tibia is free, yet most people posting here I have seen in the marketplace (I'm always there checking out bargains).
You all say Open Tibia is free, yet Otland makes enough cash through premium subs a month to probably even buy Tibia itself. (exaggeration rlx)

Tibia is not free, Open Tibia is not free, nothing in this world is free. Time is money and you waste time on Tibia, therefore losing money. Your time is precious, it's worth even more than money, contributors see it as "spare time" so you have spare money?
Sellers see it as "money making schemes". They create things, learn things, in order to earn cash to spend on Tibia anyway or even to spend back in the Otserv community. MOST however, sell shit and put it in the banks.

If there is a way to earn money, someone will find it. Marketplace or no marketplace, there will be a way to sell their items.
e.g. Vapus
Alot of people went their to sell their shit, OTLand Marketplace opens, everyone sells their shit at Otland. Which I don't blame the staff for opening it, they stepped up to the competition.

People want to make as much money as possible, whether its to support an existing project or creating a new one. I can guarentee that Shadowcores would not exist if Talaturen made no cash from Otland.

Thats my opinion, take it as you like.

Myself, I enjoy earning the few bucks, it's a nice reward, but I've also contributed since I started Open Tibia (2005) more than I've sold anything.

Why wouldn't Shadowcores exist if he didn't make money on OTLand? Ah btw, I haven't seen any contribution from you except thousands of posts here and there helping people.

However, I agree with some parts. But to keep OTLand alive they need donations, who else would pay the server & forum cost?

About TFS, the TFS found in the Premium Board is not "Latest"(I know it actually is), We brand something as "Latest" when it becomes stable, the one in premium board are "Latest Unstable" and should only be used for testing purpose only, but half of you want to be full retard and use it as a serious server without even knowing how to fix it.

Shadowcores uses Latest and if something goes wrong Talaturen and his group knows how to fix it. where most of you(including myself) do not.

Don't cry just because you can't use an unstable server, be glad that they keep releasing stable server from time to time.

About TFS, the TFS found in the Premium Board is not "Latest"(I know it actually is), We brand something as "Latest" when it becomes stable, the one in premium board are "Latest Unstable" and should only be used for testing purpose only, but half of you want to be full retard and use it as a serious server without even knowing how to fix it.

Shadowcores uses Latest and if something goes wrong Talaturen and his group knows how to fix it. where most of you(including myself) do not.

Don't cry just because you can't use an unstable server, be glad that they keep releasing stable server from time to time.
Please sir, take all my likes.

Why wouldn't Shadowcores exist if he didn't make money on OTLand? Ah btw, I haven't seen any contribution from you except thousands of posts here and there helping people.

However, I agree with some parts. But to keep OTLand alive they need donations, who else would pay the server & forum cost?

PM Me I'll post you alot of links :)

I can't use it?
I have a legit copy of the "Latest unstable server" because I've donated around 3 times to Otland. Thanks.

Back