• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Discussion thread] Ruthless Chaos

I did last background and logo for you guys, didnt played couple months ;/
Need any help with some graphics?

I wanted to add that I'm 100% against addon bonusses.

No one wants to be limited to a certain outfit to gain a few stats lol. I get an oufit to look cool (that's the reward and it's great!).

If you guys really want to implement an addon bonus system you should base it on the amount of outfits you collect. Say I have 2 outfits I get +1 shielding if I have 3 outfits I get the +1 shielding and +1 mlvl.
But still I don't prefer a system like this.

I never said to give different stats per outfit lol.. that's the worst system ever because people have to chose if they want to looks vs stats. That system is so flawed.
The correct system would be like the one you've mentioned (as I've mentioned many times in the past) because that way you are able to wear whatever outfit you please while retaining the bonuses.

When playing an OT I prefer to have a variety of things to do. The more variety of things there are to do then the better it is for the players. Most of the time on Ruthless I felt like all I did
was grind all day every day because there was no incentive to do anything else other than level to 250 so we could wear the 250 equipment.
Maybe I did a boss or 2 once in awhile when my team was on, but other than that the only thing there was to do, was grind.

If there were advantages to having multiple outfits it would give me, as well as other plays something to do aside from all the grinding or questing.
They don't even have to give bonuses, but rather things like create unique dialogue with NPC's , allow access to secret areas, and so on.. it would just add onto the RPG element.
I do understand the counterargument though, as it is a lot of work, somewhat hard to balance, and it might sound a bit cheesy.

I really don't think Frisiga is that bad. It sucks at first because you're so slow and it takes atleast a couple of hours of exploring to figure out where the important spawns are. When I went back there at a higher level it was actually quite fun exploring it, because everyone avoids it like the plague. It felt like I was exploring a desolate and mostly uncharted land. Heck when I decided to try to find the other 5 shard quests (only 3 were known at the time) I was fully prepared to find none. But I found 2 others within 90 minutes, and I found the last 3 pretty quickly once I was high enough level to explore the more dangerous areas.

The custom spells are done very well; There are only a few custom spells. Most of them are useful, but not overpowered. I would rather have a few custom spells that fit and work well, than a dozen spells where 8 are never used and 2 constantly.

I think the vocations are decently balanced and each has its own role... Except for sorcerers.
Sorcerers are almost always outclassed by druids. Druids can drastically increase profits with exura sio and deal almost equal AoE damage. Volcanic Rain and Storm Surge deal more AoE damage, but it requires the sorcerer to stand right next to his targets (or the blocker, standing in the way of potential exoris and monster AoEs). Not to mention the huge mana cost for these spells. Druids also get paralyze runes and let's not forget that druids have the superior wild growth rune, which lasts much longer than Mwall and doesn't block heals.

The map design amplifies this problem. Most of the hunting spots have little kiting room and are filled with monsters.
Take the necromancer spawns in Necra for example: Normally a knight wouldn't like to hunt necromancers, they summon annoying mobs like ghosts and mummies, heal themselves and run away. But here the rooms are so small a paladin or a mage will instantly get swarmed with summons while being whaled on by 2 necro's. Same with the dragon spawns (except for 1 but it is a PAIN to get to), hydra spawn and wyrm spawn (which are normally often hunted by paladins). You'll often find yourself surrounded with no room to kite.
The map heavily favours knights. And who do knights like to bring on hunts? Druids! Wether I wanted to kill a boss or just hunt casually I (as a knight) never told myself "damn I could really use a sorcerer right now". I would always be looking for a druid for heals and Aoe, and/or a paladin for DPS and the rarely resisted holy damage.

I agree with Zasranets that most of the raids are pretty underwhelming. Any level 20 could clear the terramite, undead, spider, pirate or elf raid with some caution, they're just not interesting. The orc raid does have a leader of sorts, but if he didn't have a guaranteed sword ring drop I wouldn't even bother. The dynamic world events like Demodras and lizard raids are a very cool idea though, I wish there were more of these.
Zas~ also makes a good point about grinding. Don't get me wrong, there's a metric ton of fantastic content. I didn't run out of places to explore and quests to do til around level 160. Then I ran into the problem where all the quests I still had to do were too hard and all I could do was grind. Though this was partly caused by the lack of players to finish some of the harder quests.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the blacksmithing system. if it's only half as good as the rest of the custom content it'll still be great. :D

BUMP!
It's been a while.
Anymore spoilers for us? or information on when season 3 will be?

You say it and you have it! Here's a little sneek peak of what we have been working on. We just finished exams (yesterday :D), and are now fully dedicated to this.

We completely agree with the lack of power of sorcerers vs the other vocations. The issue is being adressed with the addition of new spells that are supposed to require adaptive thinking. They will be very strong in terms of damage output per second, but will require certain situations to be used properly.

rVUTzCc.png

Also, as many of you seemed to deem important, we are focusing the profession system to be a great solo-play alternative, specially at high levels, where the solo content is strongly overshadowed by teamplay. While last week we showed you the upcoming blacksmithing profession, today we want to present you alchemy.

m8q3MPC.png

More news soon! Stay tuned :)

Last edited:
I'm really glad to see a profession system that gives solo-play alternative. I know quite a bit of people that ended up quitting because they were more solo players or weren't able to find a concrete team.
If this profession system will do what you're saying and allow a more diverse style of solo play then props to you! :) I do have a few thoughts I want to touch on about Hell.

I know this has been mentioned many times and I'm not sure how aware you are but Hell needs some work in terms of monsters. Last ERA the only monster that was beneficial to hunt was Hellborns and on top of that the only class that could efficiently hunt them was a Knight. This created a huge problem.. I feel like Hell should at least have 1 hunting place suitable to each vocation.

Another problem with Hell is that I was forced to hunt Hellborns for like what, 60 levels? That became one of the most tedious and mind boring grinds I've ever had! I was even watching TV while hunting there and it was still mind numbing. I personally don't think someone should hunt on a monster that long, and even at that point Hellborns were still the best thing I could hunt by far!

I'm hoping a lot more was done for season 3 aside from the profession system. Can't wait to see what surprises will be waiting.
I've noticed that the website is now offline so my guess is that Season 3 is approaching and my hopes are that it's released soon. :)

Last edited:
For me, custom vocations, is a big plus.
This is certainly one of the best OT's I've played so far. The only thing that pulls this OT down for me, lies at the vocation part. I've always liked custom vocations because it's something new and unique that you've never experienced before. Instead of keeping the old vocations, doing the same spells, killing monsters the exact same way as on every other OT, with the exception of a few spells that comes at a higher level, you could add new vocations to the game that are cool and unique.

You could of course keep it like it is. A melee tank, a damage dealing mage, a mage who's healing and an archer who fights his foes at a distance. Just try to make them depend on eachother, everyone likes teamplay, at least when it's necessary.

Some other dude said that you should keep the main vocations, but create subclasses. Like a sorcerer promotes into a Shaman or a Warlock. And a knight promotes to a Berserker or a Guardian, depending on your playstyle. That'd be cool as well, as long as we get something new to experience.

I agree considering I'm a huge fan of custom vocations and would give anything to see them in-game, but for some reason it doesn't seem like it would suit the server. The main problem is that creating a new vocation is really hard in terms of balancing and the amount of work it takes. The vocations last ERA were for the most part really balanced aside from a few small changes that came later on. Custom vocations could destroy that.

Then again the Ruthless staff did address custom vocations due to the popular request for it so we might be seeing something in the future. The sub-classes is one of my favorite ways to branch custom vocations (Ascalon Fan) but like I mentioned earlier this server doesn't exactly seem suitable for custom vocations. Creating one custom vocation is hard enough, but to make 8 it would take awhile.

As the same time I would really like to see custom vocations because I'm a custom fanatic. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to make custom vocations as long as you make sure the damage is reasonable. The reason I like custom vocations is because it create a different play-style. The vanilla vocations have been around since the beginning and they have become boring.

Since the Release of season 3 should be soon I don't think they will have time to create custom vocations.. unless they already secretly have. Since the chances of us seeing custom vocations is slim I have a suggestion to propose.
Instead of creating new vocations, just customize the ones we have right now. I think a good way to do this is to make each vocation have a passive. Sure it might be hard to think of some passives that will remain useful yet balanced, but I think if you take some time and really think it through, you can make some art.

Passives are a small part of your character yet I feel like it could play a big role during your adventure which would make the gameplay a bit more interesting. The other thing is to add more custom spells. Last ERA there were only a handful of custom spells in total; most of which were never used or very weak. I know that Purging Fire and Whirling Barrage have been worked on but we need way more!

From my understanding most of the vocations ended up using the same spells the entire game which they got at like 50-100. I know that me as a Knight ended up using the same set of spells the entire game and it got really boring just smashing the same old hotkeys... There are custom items and you fight custom monsters so you should be entitled to having custom spells! It doesn't mean the custom spells have to hit a whole lot, but just seeing a new animation/effect is refreshing. It would also be nice to see some custom runes added in. :)

TL;DR
Add passives and many USEFUL custom spells! :)

"Hello everyone! We have some news for you.
We are intensely working on the profession system. Blacksmithing and Alchemy are going quite well, but we won't make it on time for July, mainly because we'd like to be both there at the start of the season making sure everything works as planned. Also, we will be able to work more actively on a third profession that we have in mind. A beta server will be opened in aprox. 2 weeks and the server will most likely be released at the very beginning of August.

Meanwhile, we will release some more pictures with items that will be added for this Season
smiley.png

Thank you for your patience and stay tuned!"

Regarding your thoughts on custom vocations:
We have already addressed the Sorcerer's damage issues with some balancing of their custom spells (Pyroblast and Purging Fire have been improved and new spells have been added, as mentioned in the previous teaser). We don't have fully custom vocations, but they are pretty customized if you ask me! :)
And, even though you are proposing very interesting ideas, you have to understand that we can't work on professions and creating new vocations at the same time, because we would have both halway done for season 3.

About Hell and Hellborns being the only viable hunting area:
While we believe some hunting places are quite underrated, we have addressed this issue to give every vocation equal opportunities :)

So we're doing a huge effort on having a very complete profession system and we wanted to show you some of what we have until now.
There will be hundreds of recipes in the game, many of them for newly introduced custom items that have special effects, never seen before! To craft these items, you will have to gather the materials around the world with your blacksmithing pick and use your craftsman hammer to build it near the anvil.

Here you have some pictures that will give you a better insight on how blacksmithing looks like!

1tEC0VG.jpg

This is one of the recipe books that players will have for their professions.

7LDsQWF.jpg

We believe it is important that the profession system enhanced the solo-play opportunities, without forgetting that team-play is still a very important aspect of the game. Therefore, the system will be balanced in that way, giving the player freedom to choose in regard to their gamestyle.

PJ572iM.jpg

So, what do you think about blacksmithing? Please don't hesitate to give us feedback about it and ask whatever doubts you might have!
We hope you enjoyed this teaser, stay tuned for more news! =)

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what these professions will bring to the server! Will mages and paladins benefit from blacksmithing as much as knights?

Edit: Or is that what the other professions are for?

I honestly think the profession system is amazing. A majority of Ruthless was just grind and I feel like this will create a variety of other things you can do.
You said there will be hundreds of recipes in game which is amazing! Here are a few things I'm hoping to see with professions:
  • It would be cool if you could get recipes from regular monsters, bosses, quests, secrets, etc.. this way you never know when or where you could find a recipe. (OH AND RAIDS, this could actually make raids useful haha)
  • For higher tier recipes create really rare materials that can be dropped by regular monsters (along with other ways) because that way when hunting monsters you never know what you could find and it makes hunting more exciting.
  • "To craft these items, you will have to gather the materials around the world with your blacksmithing pick" does that mean you will only get the materials from using your blacksmithing pick (mining)? If so I think that's a bit lame.
  • Implement creature products into some of the recipes. It would be cool to see skin-able creature products used in recipes, which would make the obsidian knife and blessed stake more useful!
What I'm really interested in is "newly introduced custom items that have special effects, never seen before". Items with higher attack or higher defense are pretty bland. Last ERA the closest thing we came to special effects was the healing on knight weapons which wasn't all that. BUT if we see custom items with special effects I will be happy. It would be even more awesome some of the special effects played a role in hidden secrets. For example:
  • There could be a recipe to make "Ocean Boots" and then the special effect would be that it allows you to walk on water.
  • There could be a recipe to make a "Blaze Staff" and the special effect would be that it can shoot a special flame every 30 mins. This allows you to burn down certain trees which could lead to a secret passage.
I think seeing some special effects such as that could make the server more interesting. You wouldn't make all of the special effects blatantly know, but instead put information in books, scrolls, NPC, etc.. that could give insight on that topic.
Maybe even create some hidden effects to the items. I hope this isn't to overwhelming to read. You asked for feedback so I didn't hold back. :)

Also I have a question about beta/release. I know that the release of the server has been delayed because the Blacksmithing and Alchemy system are taking a bit longer than expect. (as well as a third profession)
But wouldn't it be better to release beta sooner so that players can start testing whats available right now and while testing is going on you can finish implementing the remaining stuff.

Like previously said the beta server will be in approx 2 weeks followed by the release at the very beginning of August. Doesn't that mean that there will be very little time to test everything?
I would really hate to see the release of the sever pushed even farther back.

I honestly think the profession system is amazing. A majority of Ruthless was just grind and I feel like this will create a variety of other things you can do.
You said there will be hundreds of recipes in game which is amazing! Here are a few things I'm hoping to see with professions:
  • It would be cool if you could get recipes from regular monsters, bosses, quests, secrets, etc.. this way you never know when or where you could find a recipe. (OH AND RAIDS, this could actually make raids useful haha)
  • For higher tier recipes create really rare materials that can be dropped by regular monsters (along with other ways) because that way when hunting monsters you never know what you could find and it makes hunting more exciting.
  • "To craft these items, you will have to gather the materials around the world with your blacksmithing pick" does that mean you will only get the materials from using your blacksmithing pick (mining)? If so I think that's a bit lame.
  • Implement creature products into some of the recipes. It would be cool to see skin-able creature products used in recipes, which would make the obsidian knife and blessed stake more useful!
What I'm really interested in is "newly introduced custom items that have special effects, never seen before". Items with higher attack or higher defense are pretty bland. Last ERA the closest thing we came to special effects was the healing on knight weapons which wasn't all that. BUT if we see custom items with special effects I will be happy. It would be even more awesome some of the special effects played a role in hidden secrets. For example:
  • There could be a recipe to make "Ocean Boots" and then the special effect would be that it allows you to walk on water.
  • There could be a recipe to make a "Blaze Staff" and the special effect would be that it can shoot a special flame every 30 mins. This allows you to burn down certain trees which could lead to a secret passage.
I think seeing some special effects such as that could make the server more interesting. You wouldn't make all of the special effects blatantly know, but instead put information in books, scrolls, NPC, etc.. that could give insight on that topic.
Maybe even create some hidden effects to the items. I hope this isn't to overwhelming to read. You asked for feedback so I didn't hold back. :)

Also I have a question about beta/release. I know that the release of the server has been delayed because the Blacksmithing and Alchemy system are taking a bit longer than expect. (as well as a third profession)
But wouldn't it be better to release beta sooner so that players can start testing whats available right now and while testing is going on you can finish implementing the remaining stuff.

Like previously said the beta server will be in approx 2 weeks followed by the release at the very beginning of August. Doesn't that mean that there will be very little time to test everything?
I would really hate to see the release of the sever pushed even farther back.

The issue I find with crafting system is people are stupid.
My last server had a very easy and solid crafting system. Extremely easy…. Much easier than most shown on different servers. And yea 5% said Oooo cool! Very fun! The other 95% said ehh… peace im going to the evo server.
I definitely think they are fun and entertaining, but as any hardcore unique rpg server on otland has come across, they don’t keep players. (Ask the 100 that have launched and shut down 1-2 months later)

@Zikko : It benefits all vocations. Alchemy won't craft equipment, but very interesting items that will be shown soon ;)
@Zasranets :
"It would be cool if you could get recipes from regular monsters, bosses, quests, secrets, etc.. this way you never know when or where you could find a recipe."

Most of the recipes are learned by leveling the skill up, but some of them have to be obtained via quest/something special. But we have to be careful with this, we wouldn't like some good recipes being unused because they are never being discovered. It is true it is a chance to make raids useful, too. However, we'd rather approach this when everything is created, then decide which recipes will need to be obtained by other means :)

"For higher tier recipes create really rare materials that can be dropped by regular monsters"
Done! There are rare materials to create very strong equipment :)

"does that mean you will only get the materials from using your blacksmithing pick (mining)? If so I think that's a bit lame"
Of course not, the materials gathered by mining are the basic ones, most part of the requirements of a recipe, but other creature products and items might be needed to craft your item.

Regarding what you meant with the special effects, we haven't thought about those kind of effects, but new stats and effects to be used in combat. You may not have seen it, but in the picture released before, the bronze axe has the "Cleave" effect. And you will see more stuff soon.

About the beta, I'm sure we will have enough time to test everything :)

Back