• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Enhancing graphics to 64x64 with machine learning

Do you think it an improvement or not?

• Definitely an improvement

Votes: 103 96.3%
  • It's worse

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No useful difference

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

edubart

Advanced OT User
Reaction score
Now days machine learning, deep learning, neural networks and is getting popular. There are some projects out there that uses machine learning to do super resolution (enhance the resolution of an image), so I thought experimenting one of them with tibia graphics to enhance graphics from sprites 32x32 to 64x64.

In short, look at the screenshots:
Original
https://i.imgur.com/CASCvRW.png
CASCvRW.png

Scaled (this is how you would see in your client)
https://i.imgur.com/uUNJL9R.png
uUNJL9R.png

Enhanced (this is how you see with the super resolution algorithm)
https://i.imgur.com/SITfHNL.png
SITfHNL.png

If you compare the enhanced image with the scaled one you will see that the enhanced is more sharp and less blurred. But what you people from otland think? Do you think it an improvement or not? Comment o the thread.

How this was done?
I used the waifu2x project, it is on github, you can go to the URL http://waifu2x.udp.jp/index.html and upload any image and increase it resolution up to 2x. That project was originally trained enhancing anime images, however I think it worked quite well with tibia graphics, maybe if we trained with tibia graphics could have even better results.

If you want to try your tibia screenshots it is important that you disable antialising (don't shrink game window option in tibia I think) and the game image will have the size of exactly 480x352. If anyone find it interesting upload your experiments here.

With this we could enhance the otserv graphics to 64x64.

Its so crisp..... <drools>

Well, it's like...
Original Morrowind:
maxresdefault.jpg

Enchanced:
50OmPfoC.jpg
That will be a point. Hmm, @edubart how about version? Tibia11? Or maybe on OTClient we will be able use that as part of
In perfect case, i want to make an optional tool, that converts tibia.spr into those atlases (tool will load both dat & spr for conversion.)
For example for 854 or 960 versions? Hmm that is awesome idea!

Do you think it an improvement or not?
[...]
With this we could enhance the otserv graphics to 64x64.
It looks relatively good, but still native 64x64 sprites would be better in long term scenario. "Wow-factor" appears only from the perspective of current Tibia players who plays on that blurred 32x32 sprites.
Tibia is in decline and subsequently OTS is in decline. This will not appeal to any new/younger players who were "raised" in "post-Crysis 3D era".
I realize that this may sound almost impossible, but OT community should pull their resources into making new 64x64 OTClient with their own original graphics, rename that project into something less "We ripped Tibia" and promote their new MMO-making platfrom with small nodes "yes, this project originate from OTS".

Silent 32x32 Tibia is basically dead. Same with just scaling 32x32 sprites with some fancy programs.

It looks relatively good, but still native 64x64 sprites would be better in long term scenario. "Wow-factor" appears only from the perspective of current Tibia players who plays on that blurred 32x32 sprites.
Tibia is in decline and subsequently OTS is in decline. This will not appeal to any new/younger players who were "raised" in "post-Crysis 3D era".
I realize that this may sound almost impossible, but OT community should pull their resources into making new 64x64 OTClient with their own original graphics, rename that project into something less "We ripped Tibia" and promote their new MMO-making platfrom with small nodes "yes, this project originate from OTS".

Silent 32x32 Tibia is basically dead. Same with just scaling 32x32 sprites with some fancy programs.
i have time working on the 64x64 size, for now i am working on a release on OTCLIENT with the "option" to set the "SIZE" of the sprites = 32 to 96.
but now im looking here and wow imagine 64x64 with that resolution added!

Looks better,
But, the best thing about 64x64 is the ability to add detail.

Just up-scaling-enhancing things is fine, but if you actually do the work to create things in a 64x64 it gives you SO much more options for detail, and making items/outfits/animations look amazing.
Of course more detail means more work, but some day it may be worth it.

Or of course, we could always upgrade to 3d graphics some day in the future. (Wouldn't have to change gameplay at all)

well one thing is "sprite size" and other its the resolution..

sprites 32x32

CASCvRW.png

super resolution algorithm used on 32x32

SITfHNL.png

sprites 64x64
JYd3j73.png

super resolution algorithm use on 64x64

b7fe09019614593f68470cfb03a6805eo.png

maybe add this machine learning< to the OT client? and add the option to set the size of the sprites ? im already done the object builder working with 64x64 sprite size, https://otland.net/threads/tibia-64x64.244725/

so, if you wanna to work with sprites 32x32 then set the client to 32x32.
and if you wanna work with sprites 64x64, set the client to 64x64.

32f9dd180d907ea584e7cee53fac8b42o.png
64 vs 32

Yes, yes !! I like what I see.
An option to change full screen resolution in-game on the OTC client, if that's easier to do, would already do the trick for me though.
Since quite recently I enjoy playing the stand-alone Tibia client in 640x480 full screen resolution with un-stretched graphics to enhance the game window.

Yes, yes !! I like what I see.
An option to change full screen resolution in-game on the OTC client, if that's easier to do, would already do the trick for me though.
Since quite recently I enjoy playing the stand-alone Tibia client in 640x480 full screen resolution with un-stretched graphics to enhance the game window.
you can use "full screen" on OTC client..

im talking about "SPRITE SIZES" of the tibia.spr

maybe add this machine learning< to the OT client?
Isn't it the only way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that whole machine learning magic will not work that great if you're going to scale all graphics from tibia.spr separately. Isn't there a big chance that edges of sprites will not match edges of all of the other sprites? Kinda like zooming in in RME. You would have to take the whole in-game window and only then scale it with that magic.

adding the machine learning into the Otc sources changing the currently animator.
if edubart make a poll its because he maybe want to add this machine to the otc.

Scaling the whole in-game window by changing full screen resolution on the client is what I meant. It's how I play on the stand-alone client. And it basicly gives similar results. Though anything to improve it is positive either way.

MR6dXvr.png

Last edited:
If anyone find it interesting upload your experiments here.
image choosing:
HSPDMNp.png

style: artwork; noise reduction: none; upscaling: none + 2x
FKHJPTs.png
hY1KB1Q.png

Added 2x zoom in Paint for comparison. :p
TSv7BqU.png

That's pretty much what it looks like with options full screen resolution 640*480, unstretched.

Last edited:
Isn't it the only way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that whole machine learning magic will not work that great if you're going to scale all graphics from tibia.spr separately. Isn't there a big chance that edges of sprites will not match edges of all of the other sprites? Kinda like zooming in in RME. You would have to take the whole in-game window and only then scale it with that magic.

What I had in mind it's a tool that converts a 32x32 SPR file to a new 64x64 SPR file, then otclient would need just the modifications to read and work with 64x64 sprites. Although that testing was done in the entire game window doing in each sprite separately I suspect that would lead to almost the same results.

That's pretty much what it looks like with options full screen resolution 640*480, unstretched.

That's because you didn't use a good screenshot, you need an unstretched screenshot (where every tile has 32x32 pixels).

I could improve the results if I train the neural network with tibia like sprites instead of anime images, but to do that I would need a huge amount of tibia like 64x64 sprites to model the algorithm.

Do anyone know where I can find huge amount of 64x64 sprites?

For example the algorithm from above the author said that trained on 6000 anime images, I would need something like 6000 tibia like 64x64 sprites. Answering my own question I think I can't find that with ease out there haha.

Back