• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

First try on an armor

xydius

Just an otland wanderer
Reaction score
Well im new at this stuff and im not really sure about antialising and stuff lol but whatever heres my first try

pRIEphs.png

im open to suggestions, i know the colors arent the best choices but i was just doing random stuff until something looked somewhat nice

also if someone would like to improve it and show it to me id really like that so i might learn a bit :D

ooo well i was bored so i made another sprite, this time its a shield well here it is

oqWjLTY.png

i was trying to do an effect so it looke like the "horns" pointy thingy were curved and the part around the uhm jewels maybe in the midle were somewaht curved also haha i dont know again just doing stuff until something looked nice xd

heres the outline if someone has a better idea for the colors

OLpNhWy.png

Last edited:
Hey mate!
Let me point some things you could improve on that.

I can see that you tried to do anti-aliasing, and you did it but needs more calibration.

You split your sprite in dark lines, then shadowed the edges with AA
This creates an effect we call pillow shading, and ends up blurring the sprite (excess of AA).

2pr78k1.png
(a edit showing about "volume step")

Pillow shading reduces the contrast of the sprite, which consequently reduces the volume of sprite.
Then it is always good before the "AA step", have well-defined location of light and shadow / "volume step".

What more to improve:
- In a matter of design, it's better to show the holes from the armor or it looks like RPG Maker flat armors.
- Another tip is hue-shift. Gold for example is not just orange color, it has red, brown, orange, yellow, white in his composition (choose 3 colors or more for your gold palette).

Good luck! I want to see that armor edit :D

I gave the coloring a try on the shield.
XoK6X2r.png
well that looks really nice :D

Hey mate!
Let me point some things you could improve on that.

I can see that you tried to do anti-aliasing, and you did it but needs more calibration.

You split your sprite in dark lines, then shadowed the edges with AA
This creates an effect we call pillow shading, and ends up blurring the sprite (excess of AA).

2pr78k1.png
(a edit showing about "volume step")

Pillow shading reduces the contrast of the sprite, which consequently reduces the volume of sprite.
Then it is always good before the "AA step", have well-defined location of light and shadow / "volume step".

What more to improve:
- In a matter of design, it's better to show the holes from the armor or it looks like RPG Maker flat armors.
- Another tip is hue-shift. Gold for example is not just orange color, it has red, brown, orange, yellow, white in his composition (choose 3 colors or more for your gold palette).

Good luck! I want to see that armor edit :D

thank you so much my friend, i will try to improve my sprites with your tips hehe i didnt save that armors outline so i might aswell and do another one haha but i really apreciate those tips :D

Ctwq80S.png

well i kind of fusioned both armors and this this is what i got lol i did the outline from scratch again

Ctwq80S.png

well i kind of fusioned both armors and this this is what i got lol i did the outline from scratch again

d1Upbdx.png

3 min in paint.net, tool Color replacer (hotkey R)
You have to give it a try. Set white as secondary and black as primary color and set hardness to something like 5%. After you do some magic, change colors to lime+white and repeat.

d1Upbdx.png

3 min in paint.net, tool Color replacer (hotkey R)
You have to give it a try. Set white as secondary and black as primary color and set hardness to something like 5%. After you do some magic, change colors to lime+white and repeat.
:eek: ill check it to look what i can do with it :D
heres also a new spear thingy i just made lol
CCowAtX.png

Back